U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,693 posts, read 4,847,009 times
Reputation: 6137

Advertisements

Frias is selling and I doubt there's a buyer. They already stopped running shuttles to the airport last year.
They can't compete with rideshare. I give it 2 years before the rest fold.
One of the biggest youtubers ever, who usually gets first crack at all things tech, posted a video of a autonomous car ride he took. NO driver behind the wheel at all. A bunch of new tech at CES including new lidar systems from FLIR. We're going to wake up one day soon and won't be able to buy a regular car anymore.











https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...gZ6ydo0til_Dyw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,605 posts, read 24,603,262 times
Reputation: 25307
Wow! I am surprised. Technology marches on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,698 posts, read 22,977,781 times
Reputation: 3973
The cab companies did it to themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 PM
 
10,304 posts, read 8,757,834 times
Reputation: 6120
^
The rideshare companies helped. But no one will miss the existing taxi industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,693 posts, read 4,847,009 times
Reputation: 6137
I hate cabs so I'm glad to see them go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:18 PM
 
513 posts, read 347,837 times
Reputation: 496
and all the grumpy cab drivers, that solicit for tips, tell you about their amazing sports betting side line or try sending you to dodgy massage parlours will end up as ride share drivers, and then everyone will hate ride share drivers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:21 PM
 
2,543 posts, read 2,582,234 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Frias is selling and I doubt there's a buyer. They already stopped running shuttles to the airport last year.
They can't compete with rideshare. I give it 2 years before the rest fold.
One of the biggest youtubers ever, who usually gets first crack at all things tech, posted a video of a autonomous car ride he took. NO driver behind the wheel at all. A bunch of new tech at CES including new lidar systems from FLIR. We're going to wake up one day soon and won't be able to buy a regular car anymore.











https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...gZ6ydo0til_Dyw
Aptiv and Lyft have been doing driverless PAID service on the Strip for over a year now. They have logged in over 5,000 paid rides since it started if I remember correctly. There is a technician monitoring on the passenger side but no one on the driver side. Passengers ride in the back. Eventually it will be truly driverless without a technician onboard.

As far as taxis they are on a losing battle with Lyft and Uber. They are even trying high tech. At work we have button to push, no calls. Just push a button for regular cab, two times for handicap cabs...three times for cabs with 5 or 6 passengers......... At work all I see are Uber and Lyft dropping off guests, I seldom see cabs dropping off passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 PM
 
2,543 posts, read 2,582,234 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
and all the grumpy cab drivers, that solicit for tips, tell you about their amazing sports betting side line or try sending you to dodgy massage parlours will end up as ride share drivers, and then everyone will hate ride share drivers!

They can get desperate and nasty for sure. I've experienced it and seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,693 posts, read 4,847,009 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Aptiv and Lyft have been doing driverless PAID service on the Strip for over a year now. They have logged in over 5,000 paid rides since it started if I remember correctly. There is a technician monitoring on the passenger side but no one on the driver side. Passengers ride in the back. Eventually it will be truly driverless without a technician onboard.

As far as taxis they are on a losing battle with Lyft and Uber. They are even trying high tech. At work we have button to push, no calls. Just push a button for regular cab, two times for handicap cabs...three times for cabs with 5 or 6 passengers......... At work all I see are Uber and Lyft dropping off guests, I seldom see cabs dropping off passengers.



The aptiv cars are NOT autonomous. They're basically data collection vehicles. I've seen the Aptiv cars hundreds of times. Every single time I do the driver has hands on the wheel and is driving.
I've talked to people that have taken them and they say the driver told them that the cars don't self drive.

There's also a dash cam company that keeps giving away dash cams to rideshare drivers for free. They sync to your phone and report back all kinds of data. It's kind of funny that so many drivers are helping end their source of income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
 
2,543 posts, read 2,582,234 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
The aptiv cars are NOT autonomous. They're basically data collection vehicles. I've seen the Aptiv cars hundreds of times. Every single time I do the driver has hands on the wheel and is driving.
I've talked to people that have taken them and they say the driver told them that the cars don't self drive.

There's also a dash cam company that keeps giving away dash cams to rideshare drivers for free. They sync to your phone and report back all kinds of data. It's kind of funny that so many drivers are helping end their source of income.
Like I said it will be eventually be driverless, the onboard technician is monitoring making observations. When you call Lyft for rides on the Strip, it will ask you if you want a driverless car.

There is high stakes meaning people can get hurt so these companies are doing their best with monitoring and studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top