U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

375 posts, read 275,195 times

Advertisements

I retired from computer programming nearly 5 years ago. I always found you are better off moving to a high cost of living city to find work because the additional amount you get paid will more than offset the differential in salary between a low cost of living city. Live in the lowest cost (undesirable) neighborhood you can find. For example, my last job was in El Segundo, CA. El Segundo was high rent district. However, just on the other side of the freeway in Hawthorne, rents were 40% less. None of my co-workers would even consider ever living there. From 2012 - 2014, I rented a studio apartment that topped out at $700/month when I moved in 2014... and it was less than a ten minute commute.

Another advantage also is that with a higher wage, over time, you'll max out your SS year after year. I never thought about that until I got near to retirement and realized I had either maxed out or came very close to maxing out my SS 27 of my 35 years of work that count toward my overall SS benefit. As of 2019, I'll get $44,558 annually when I start drawing SS at age 70. With a projected 2% annual SS COLA, I'll get over $52K annually. That's a livable wage on just SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

98 posts, read 56,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I retired from computer programming nearly 5 years ago. I always found you are better off moving to a high cost of living city to find work because the additional amount you get paid will more than offset the differential in salary between a low cost of living city. Live in the lowest cost (undesirable) neighborhood you can find. For example, my last job was in El Segundo, CA. El Segundo was high rent district. However, just on the other side of the freeway in Hawthorne, rents were 40% less. None of my co-workers would even consider ever living there. From 2012 - 2014, I rented a studio apartment that topped out at $700/month when I moved in 2014... and it was less than a ten minute commute.

Another advantage also is that with a higher wage, over time, you'll max out your SS year after year. I never thought about that until I got near to retirement and realized I had either maxed out or came very close to maxing out my SS 27 of my 35 years of work that count toward my overall SS benefit. As of 2019, I'll get $44,558 annually when I start drawing SS at age 70. With a projected 2% annual SS COLA, I'll get over $52K annually. That's a livable wage on just SS.
I am not sure about the IT field, but in Las Vegas the GIS jobs pay about the same as california. This is particularly true of public sector jobs. Basically they start around 40k to 50k, and they max out at 100k to 120k. In contrast, I considered moving to Boise. The head person in GIS at the city of Boise who supervises like 10 people or more and made only 70k.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

803 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeographyNerd View Post
I am not sure about the IT field, but in Las Vegas the GIS jobs pay about the same as california. This is particularly true of public sector jobs. Basically they start around 40k to 50k, and they max out at 100k to 120k. In contrast, I considered moving to Boise. The head person in GIS at the city of Boise who supervises like 10 people or more and made only 70k.
My line of work also pays the same rate or more, here in Las Vegas! Pretty interesting. I am in healthcare though. was comparing some positions in the inland empire of CA, vs. here, and I make higher hourly here, in a state with no income tax. Fortunate in that regard. I think CA proximity has a large influence on the wages here in LV, for some fields at least. I know of some people who actually commute from southern Utah to Las Vegas on a weekly basis because of the better wages here.

Old Today, 09:04 AM

572 posts, read 209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
I agree for the most part. I've been in IT for over 20 myself I've watched thousands of colleges have their jobs outsourced overseas or to onshore MSPs. I spend a large portion of my time fixing contractors mistakes over being able to actually do my job. But hey, C-levels need those bonuses.

Just curious, what industry/role did you transition to?
I started my own business. A decent upside is I can do all the IT stuff myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or