U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

2,002 posts, read 1,389,618 times

Advertisements

Clearly this study is flawed. It wouldn't be the first time.

The driver's here are crap. Plain and simple, SHlT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

11,484 posts, read 4,175,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Clearly this study is flawed. It wouldn't be the first time.

The driver's here are crap. Plain and simple, SHlT.
Don't try and confuse you with statistics?

There are numerous statistics on driving. Insurance costs, accident rates, fatality rates, etc. None show Nevada in the top ten.

Guess we will have to declare a "drive with great care" area around OmegaSupreme as you obviously have some statistical fluke around you that collects bad drivers.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
EA

5,717 posts, read 4,873,868 times
I've logged about 200k miles in Vegas in the last 6 years.
These drivers are absolutely awful.
I've driven in 46 states and Canada.
Cali is the worst. Vegas is number 2.

Take a drive down any of the main roads and count how many times you see people cross the lines without changing lanes.
Count how many times some idiots waits til the last second to merge.
Count how many times you see someone get cut off.
Count the wrecks you see.

Numbers will shock you. I see several wrecks a day. Every day. I see cars flipped over on straight roads far too often.
Any study that says vegas drivers are anything but terrible is so flawed it's no wonder the general public has trouble with science.
Studies like this are the reason people think the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I've logged about 200k miles in Vegas in the last 6 years.
These drivers are absolutely awful.
I've driven in 46 states and Canada.
Cali is the worst. Vegas is number 2.

Take a drive down any of the main roads and count how many times you see people cross the lines without changing lanes.
Count how many times some idiots waits til the last second to merge.
Count how many times you see someone get cut off.
Count the wrecks you see.

Numbers will shock you. I see several wrecks a day. Every day. I see cars flipped over on straight roads far too often.
Any study that says vegas drivers are anything but terrible is so flawed it's no wonder the general public has trouble with science.
Studies like this are the reason people think the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.
So you may need a safety zone around you as well. The statistics do not lie and are quite consistent. NV is in the middle of the pack. Not terrible and not great. Simple as that.

I too have driven extensively in the US and Europe. For a couple of years I spent a week a month in London and drove extensively there. The only findings I would make are that Europeans drive better than Americans and in general American urban drivers are better than rural ones. And that is born out by the statistics. I also spent 17 years in CA commuting 20 miles a day up and down the 405. And in general those are some of the better drivers in the US. It may well be that any who were not got killed off - but it is still true.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

571 posts, read 420,285 times
Nevada does have good drivers. In Las Vegas, not so much. Many, many intersection accidents. When I commuted on NV-160
into town for 3 months, there was an accident nearly every day. I'm not exaggerating. It was such a problem that I started looking both ways before preceding into an intersection on a green. I haven't seen that issue in Henderson, Reno or small towns across the state.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So you may need a safety zone around you as well. The statistics do not lie and are quite consistent. NV is in the middle of the pack. Not terrible and not great. Simple as that.

I too have driven extensively in the US and Europe. For a couple of years I spent a week a month in London and drove extensively there. The only findings I would make are that Europeans drive better than Americans and in general American urban drivers are better than rural ones. And that is born out by the statistics. I also spent 17 years in CA commuting 20 miles a day up and down the 405. And in general those are some of the better drivers in the US. It may well be that any who were not got killed off - but it is still true.

Except statistics can be manipulated and misread.

The gender pay gap bs for example.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't try and confuse you with statistics?

There are numerous statistics on driving. Insurance costs, accident rates, fatality rates, etc. None show Nevada in the top ten.

Guess we will have to declare a "drive with great care" area around OmegaSupreme as you obviously have some statistical fluke around you that collects bad drivers.
I majored in statistics, even though it was a long time ago, maybe I'm getting a bit rusty.

I haven't looked into the details, but if they are counting citations as one of the factors then that is obviously dependant on how much enforcement is going on.

I would also think you are in the minority if you think Las Vegas is a safe place to drive.

I've driven in 3 different continents and in many different countries, but you couldn't pay me to drive in (most of) Asia.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Here is the correct article, the OP clearly made a mistake:

https://patch.com/nevada/lasvegas/ne...-worst-drivers

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
EA

This is their data

• Accidents
  • Speeding tickets
  • DUIs
  • Citations
  • Fatalities

First off there's only 2.9 million residents in Nevada. So even if every single NV driver got a ticket, citation, and dui, they still wouldn't beat California even though literally every driver was demonstrably bad.

Second, the bulk of Nevada residents live in Vegas where police are concentrated on an 8 mile stretch of road. Tickets don't happen all that often even with blatant offenses occurring.

Third, cabs and rideshare are everywhere here and prevent duis.

None of those things means that Nevada drivers are good.

It's kind of like saying "Brock Turner does well in school and is an athlete so he can't be a rapist."
    Dude was caught in the act....

Nevada drivers are awful and anyone that spends any amount of time on Nevada roads can see that.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Here is the correct article, the OP clearly made a mistake:

https://patch.com/nevada/lasvegas/ne...-worst-drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
This is their data

• Accidents
  • Speeding tickets
  • DUIs
  • Citations
  • Fatalities

First off there's only 2.9 million residents in Nevada. So even if every single NV driver got a ticket, citation, and dui, they still wouldn't beat California even though literally every driver was demonstrably bad.

Second, the bulk of Nevada residents live in Vegas where police are concentrated on an 8 mile stretch of road. Tickets don't happen all that often even with blatant offenses occurring.

Third, cabs and rideshare are everywhere here and prevent duis.

None of those things means that Nevada drivers are good.

It's kind of like saying "Brock Turner does well in school and is an athlete so he can't be a rapist."
    Dude was caught in the act....

Nevada drivers are awful and anyone that spends any amount of time on Nevada roads can see that.
Still finds NV 5th and 19th on fatalities.

Lots of info on accidents and insurance rates which list NV out of the worst ten. Give it up. Nevada and Las Vegas are in the middle of the pack. A single outlier changes nothing.

This is actually not what it appears. It is a ranking algorithm using fatal only statistics and is actually a bit bizarre.

Here is what there criteria actually are...

Fatality Rate: number of traffic deaths for every 100 million vehicle miles traveled
Failure to Obey: deaths involving drivers ignoring traffic signs or without a license and people not wearing seat belts
Drunk Driving: fatal crashes involving drivers impaired by alcohol
Speeding: traffic deaths involving drivers who were speeding
Careless Driving: number of pedestrians and pedal cyclists killed by motorists for every 100 thousand residents

So NV is 19th for fatalities and then fifth because of sub sets of fatalities. Pretty much absurd.

Last edited by lvmensch; Yesterday at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas