U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 PM

11,589 posts, read 4,236,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I don't want to see more land pirates.
I want to see driver training.

You can put criminals in prison and stop their crime while they're in.
With traffic, Mary the red light runner gets a ticket and goes right back on the roads.
Jim the facebooking police officer (YES I have seen this on several occasions) doesn't get a ticket. In fact, if he hits someone, the other person gets the ticket and arrested for assaulting an officer.
Jane the idiot blonde on her phone has her car insurance go up a little bit when she rams into Mr Family man.

Tickets and insurance don't make people better drivers.

Driver training makes people better drivers.
Thankfully we're close to eliminating human drivers.
In my mind the better drivers I have encountered were in London. They may have been better as well in Germany and elsewhere but I have only enough experience in London to have an honest opinion. Funny I know I drive a great deal more precisely when driving on the wrong side. You get trained by the narrower lands and the dense traffic in London.

In the US I think the best drivers are in NYC and LA. Survival of the fittest.

The crap being raised here about Vegas drivers is the same as most big cities. Here is a thread from Connecticut. See how familiar it sounds....

Connecticut drivers - why so bad?

I am unlikely to live long enough to see the end of the human driver but I should manage a good part of it. Should be an interesting transition. Like to see LV take a leadership role. We have the right circumstances to make out well over both the Strip and Downtown and I15 trucks to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 PM

299 posts, read 171,704 times
Quote:
I don't want to see more land pirates.
I want to see driver training.

Driver training makes people better drivers.
Thankfully we're close to eliminating human drivers.
While I can appreciate your enthusiasm here, 'Jane' isn't interested in being a better driver, and driverless cars go against every interest of our court system. I was once rear-ended at Durango and Charleston in a similar scenario, and she (Jane) begged me to not call the cops while her boyfriend showed me some packed heat. They were both high, seemingly straight out of 'nowhere' LA. I drove off and never reported it because it was a fruitless, useless cause.

With driving, either you come from the burbs and learned properly or you come from public transit and and never learned growing up, but still get your license. it is all deliberate and here to stay.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM
EA

5,742 posts, read 4,899,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In my mind the better drivers I have encountered were in London. They may have been better as well in Germany and elsewhere but I have only enough experience in London to have an honest opinion. Funny I know I drive a great deal more precisely when driving on the wrong side. You get trained by the narrower lands and the dense traffic in London.

In the US I think the best drivers are in NYC and LA. Survival of the fittest.

The crap being raised here about Vegas drivers is the same as most big cities. Here is a thread from Connecticut. See how familiar it sounds....

Connecticut drivers - why so bad?

I am unlikely to live long enough to see the end of the human driver but I should manage a good part of it. Should be an interesting transition. Like to see LV take a leadership role. We have the right circumstances to make out well over both the Strip and Downtown and I15 trucks to LA.

NYC and LA are the WORST drivers. By far. Without question.

I know I said Vegas was 2, but I'd honestly put it 6 or 7th.
NYC, LA, Atlanta, Philly, and Chicago are definitely worse than vegas.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 PM

37 posts, read 12,607 times
I'd second, third, and fourth Philly drivers being terrible.
Just two nights ago, some dumb a%$ swerves in
and out of traffic on the 76 freeway and then stops diagonally
(in the freeway lane) to yell at some guy behind him over some
imagined slight. Thankfully, we were pretty slow already with
a traffic jam or he would have caused an accident.

If I had a dashcam, I would have submitted it to the police...that's
how bad the driver was.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 PM

11,589 posts, read 4,236,533 times
Quote:
NYC and LA are the WORST drivers. By far. Without question.

I know I said Vegas was 2, but I'd honestly put it 6 or 7th.
NYC, LA, Atlanta, Philly, and Chicago are definitely worse than vegas.
You are of course welcome to your opinion. Having lived for many years in both LA and NYC you are simply wrong. The traffic in both is horrendous. But the drivers are very good. May be simple selection. If you do not drive well you do not survive. The NYC drivers are the most aggressive in the US - but they are also very good and very consistent. Merge works better there then anywhere else as you know the next guy is coming every time. LA drivers are also aggressive but less than NYC.

If you learned to drive in the south or the midwest both can be a challenge. The driven is more rigid and less polite. I learned to drive in the north end of the south and found NYC tough for a while.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 AM

I vote for Philly being the worst. Roosevelt Blvd. is (or used to be) the deadliest intersection in the entire country. I think it is also because Philly is the dreariest, most miserable city outside Buffalo, NY. People on edge between the industrial wasteland, poverty and sunless days. That sort of thing leads to big time road rage. Among other things, of course but Philly is just a sad, sad case.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 AM

23,746 posts, read 22,698,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I'd second, third, and fourth Philly drivers being terrible.
Just two nights ago, some dumb a%$ swerves in
and out of traffic on the 76 freeway and then stops diagonally
(in the freeway lane) to yell at some guy behind him over some
imagined slight. Thankfully, we were pretty slow already with
a traffic jam or he would have caused an accident.

If I had a dashcam, I would have submitted it to the police...that's
how bad the driver was.
While Philly is bad, I think NYC/Northeastern NJ and DC are worse.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 AM

23,746 posts, read 22,698,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswontsp View Post
I vote for Philly being the worst. Roosevelt Blvd. is (or used to be) the deadliest intersection in the entire country. I think it is also because Philly is the dreariest, most miserable city outside Buffalo, NY. People on edge between the industrial wasteland, poverty and sunless days. That sort of thing leads to big time road rage. Among other things, of course but Philly is just a sad, sad case.
How long did you live there?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How long did you live there?
Left at 24, went back at 32. I would not move back to Vegas, but I'm just pointing out some observations through the experience of leaving PA for NV and then returning back to PA permanently.

IMO, Philly moved out into the burbs and made traffic much worse than it was 25 years ago. I could not imagine if Amazon HQ2 went to Philly, the highway infrastructure is simply not there to accomadate a larger influx of volume -- it is bad enough as it is. Could just be my own distorted world view, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM

202 posts, read 145,276 times
Quote:
I've logged about 200k miles in Vegas in the last 6 years.
These drivers are absolutely awful.
I've driven in 46 states and Canada.
Cali is the worst. Vegas is number 2.

Take a drive down any of the main roads and count how many times you see people cross the lines without changing lanes.
Count how many times some idiots waits til the last second to merge.
Count how many times you see someone get cut off.
Count the wrecks you see.

Numbers will shock you. I see several wrecks a day. Every day. I see cars flipped over on straight roads far too often.
Any study that says vegas drivers are anything but terrible is so flawed it's no wonder the general public has trouble with science.
Studies like this are the reason people think the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.
Not directed at you personally, but as a general PSA:

In slow moving traffic, merging late is the correct way to drive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas