U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 PM

56 posts, read 231,242 times
Default Moving to Vegas- what are some good areas?

I am looking for some nicer upscale areas in Vegas that have low crime rates and good areas for a single professional to either rent or buy a condo/townhome in. Would appreciate your tips and help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 1,676,384 times
I'm afraid you will have to do a lot of research and winging it yourself. I'm in the same boat as you and am basically confused and not getting the answers I am looking for. A long post I entered last week, was only answered by one person and that person dealt with only one issue/question.

Over and over I hear Summerlin and Summerlin may be the answer for you. Get on an area map and locate where it is located and drive through. I still have not been told how one does this in areas that are gated but perhaps we will both find out on our own and meet in the Las Vegas jail. From what I am deciphering between the lines, Summerlin has the highest cost per square foot, making me think it is rather a status area to live in and since I'm not a person who lives for the moment someone will ask me where I live and I can drop the name "Summerlin," I'm looking for best value.

You neglected to mention your price point. Knowing that will make it possible for you to receive more help. Also be aware, the police offer an incident map where a perspective buyer can check out the safety of the area by zipcode where they are considering. I've learned by reading back thru the achieves, there are some cast in stone rules about areas but then it begins to get very grey as the posters begin to get in cat fights over each others opinions and the basic thread of the post gets lost. Myself, I'm seriously considering North Las Vegas but again, reading past posts you will discover the opinions on that area tend to be six for it and six against.

If you intend to buy, Las Vegas has many foreclosures. I am open to checking some of these out myself but again the statements are mixed; some real estate knowlegeables say they can be great deals but what I seem to have found is, instances where the bank is asking more for the house than comparable owners in the neighborhood or finding when following the sales records, many of the homes have been upbid by the buyers so they did not end up getting a deal after all and third, the banks seem to take forever in finalizing a bid and appear to continue accepting bids until they get the best one in hand. My experiences have also taught me that some local realtors that have contacted me will try to portray the entire area as good and safe and refuse to comment if I ask for background area information.

In closing, so as we do not both end up like little lambs being led to slaughter, I think the answer I would give you is read and research everything you can.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 AM

15,758 posts, read 19,193,132 times
The problem is the locals have become tired of answering that question...even me and I do it for a living.

Go to...

Crime in Las Vegas

Any zip that is green or yellow on the main map will do. Note that the correlation to income is very high.

Summerlin is both nice and big. Thus it tends to come up. None of the other communities commonly referenced are one third the size.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM

15,387 posts, read 21,475,919 times
I think if you look at all of the previous posts, you will find that EVERYPLACE in Las Vegas is totally CRIME FREE and every place in Las Vegas is totally CRIME FILLED...depends on who wrote it.....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,306,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Moving to Vegas- what are some good areas?
Slackers will ALWAYS be slackers . . so much easier to exploit others by "just asking", as compared to taking the initiative to research previous forum contributions!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM

8,763 posts, read 14,274,834 times
When i was moving here, if i let someone tell me where they "think i should live" i could have ended up in an area I hated. In fact when I did move here, i was led to a different area by an apt finding service and one of the women at an apt complex referred me to a different area, so i ended up living in The Lakes and loving it.
So sometimes, you just get lucky.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,115 times
We have found a property in 89103 which is near to the strip and near to some mixed neighborhoods. We love the proximity of the strip and the view of it but a bit afraid of crime. Have seen the gated neighborhoods but cannot stand the sight of tract houses which all look the same.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,193,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayburma View Post
We have found a property in 89103 which is near to the strip and near to some mixed neighborhoods. We love the proximity of the strip and the view of it but a bit afraid of crime. Have seen the gated neighborhoods but cannot stand the sight of tract houses which all look the same.
Mixed tracts of the 70s and 80s. Need to evaluate block by block. Nothing scarey on crime. Be more fearful of blocks that are 60% renters and difficult.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:28 PM

63 posts, read 112,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I am looking for some nicer upscale areas in Vegas that have low crime rates and good areas for a single professional to either rent or buy a condo/townhome in. Would appreciate your tips and help.
I love Anthem. Check out zip codes 89044 and 89052.

Best.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,239 times
Check out Centennial Hills Area and maybe Alliante off Durango...we live in the NorthWest close to Summerlin and I love it...I moved from Palm Springs, Cali about 18 months ago with 2 kids and 1 on the way and everything is great. No matter where you live there is always some crime just be aware and cautious. We haven't had any problems thus far. We did a short term rental at the beginning until we could decide exactly what area we wanted...hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas