U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2019, 07:09 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 4,209,859 times
Reputation: 5051

Advertisements

Yes as Princeton points out Queensridge is actually in the SW not Summerlin. A Pecole property. And neither Boca Park nor Tivoli are in Summerlin either.

And so far most of the attempts to repurpose the golf courses have failed. In fact the Queensridge/Badlands affair cost Bob Beers his election. The Siena dispute appears to have dissolved with no deal and the Silverstone Ranch has fought to a standstill but is still in the courts with the likelihood that the Silverstone owners will win.

The whole west side is suited to meeting OPs needs. I don't care for a lot of the new stuff in the SW as it is too tightly packed, too mixed up and too expensive. Better Skye Canyon and the areas in north NLV for the lower end of the market. Summerlin and High Henderson for those with more resources. Or the older areas of the SW and Summerlin. Section 10 for instance which has marvelous places hidden in it. And I still like the half acre places. Not as fancy or as disciplined as Summerlin but more for the buck and no neighbors within reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2019, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
41 posts, read 13,584 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
Is the Southwest still "up and coming" whereas there's not a lot around. I really liked the newer affordable homes in Southwest, but know there's gotta be something too that low price.
Many areas of the SW were hard hit by the housing crash and plans for more amenities never materialized. Summerlin has one developer in the Howard Hughes Corporation. The Howard Hughes Corporation has done a fantastic job developing our amenities and has even grander plans for the future. The Howard Hughes Company also stays invested through ownership of commercial buildings and retail centers even after housing is built out, much like the Irvine Company in Orange County. I strongly believe spending the extra money to be in Summerlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:06 PM
 
562 posts, read 205,885 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
Thankfully the golf course situation is close to being resolved. The city has set aside $15 million dollars to purchase and restore the course. This is a great outcome for not only the residents of Queensridge, but for all of the western side of Las Vegas. The golf course will be even better than before and being city owned will ensure this never happens again. The course will he managed by OB Golf just like neighboring city course Angel Park.
Why does the City need to own golf courses? This sounds suspiciously similar to a bail-out of a property that is doomed to lose more money if it remains what it is now. If the course was profitable, someone would have bought it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,734 posts, read 23,053,380 times
Reputation: 3988
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Why does the City need to own golf courses? This sounds suspiciously similar to a bail-out of a property that is doomed to lose more money if it remains what it is now. If the course was profitable, someone would have bought it already.
I agree. The city shouldn’t be putting 15 million into a golf course. Better ways to spend the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:21 PM
 
562 posts, read 205,885 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
Many areas of the SW were hard hit by the housing crash and plans for more amenities never materialized. Summerlin has one developer in the Howard Hughes Corporation. The Howard Hughes Corporation has done a fantastic job developing our amenities and has even grander plans for the future. The Howard Hughes Company also stays invested through ownership of commercial buildings and retail centers even after housing is built out, much like the Irvine Company in Orange County. I strongly believe spending the extra money to be in Summerlin.
There is a LOT of building going on all over SW right now. Shopping, offices, housing, that new shopping/restaurant/entertainment district, a new sports complex and another baseball complex in Mountain's Edge. They also did a bunch of work on water/sewer down here over the past year. I noticed this past summer my cold water is actually cold now so I'm thinking they may have put in a cooling plant somewhere, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:22 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 4,209,859 times
Reputation: 5051
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Why does the City need to own golf courses? This sounds suspiciously similar to a bail-out of a property that is doomed to lose more money if it remains what it is now. If the course was profitable, someone would have bought it already.
Municipal golf course does not need to be profitable. Simply a recreational facility. And it provides the chance for some nice green space for the population.

One could of course argue that golf courses are a poor choice for a public facility but that would apply to all such courses not just Badlands. So taking advantage of the opportunity to acquire a prime site cheaply may make very good sense.

They only bad news is the present owner is litigious and we may end up with a long argument over the value.

I would think such an outcome for Silverstone might be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 PM
 
562 posts, read 205,885 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Municipal golf course does not need to be profitable. Simply a recreational facility. And it provides the chance for some nice green space for the population.

One could of course argue that golf courses are a poor choice for a public facility but that would apply to all such courses not just Badlands. So taking advantage of the opportunity to acquire a prime site cheaply may make very good sense.

They only bad news is the present owner is litigious and we may end up with a long argument over the value.

I would think such an outcome for Silverstone might be a good idea.
I've never heard of a municipal golf course. I've always heard that golf courses are fairly expensive to run and as such, are typically privately or corporately owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 4,209,859 times
Reputation: 5051
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I've never heard of a municipal golf course. I've always heard that golf courses are fairly expensive to run and as such, are typically privately or corporately owned.
Angle Park the course next to Badlands. The Aliante Golf Course. The Las Vegas Golf Club on Washington. And several more in NLV. And I am not sure but the Anthem Club may be municipal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
166 posts, read 145,480 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And I still like the half acre places. Not as fancy or as disciplined as Summerlin but more for the buck and no neighbors within reach.
Ooo? Where might these be located?

~C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 4,209,859 times
Reputation: 5051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
Ooo? Where might these be located?

~C
Common in the NW and far South and way East in Henderson. Some built up areas are in 89117 in the SW...sometimes called Section 10 and Section 4.

In the NW you find them in the Clark County town of Lone Mountain...big part of 89129 and 89149.

There are other scattered all around but those are the big ones.

Generally easy to find by specifying a lot size of over 18,000SF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top