U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM

36 posts, read 10,670 times

Advertisements

Haven’t read any previous post, so apologies if I missed something already stated..

IMHO no need for a used handgun, get a 9mm Glock G19 or G17 they are around cheap $550 OTD and are solid reliable. Perhaps not the most pretty pistols but they are tried and true to serve our LEO and military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,512,538 times
As a self-proffesed gentleman, my weapon of choice is a musket.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 PM

10,629 posts, read 9,123,785 times
Yeah, I think i, and the entire thread has drifted away from the OP. Give him an ex-cop Smith Model 10, and call it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Hey BBMW,

We're kinda stating the same thing here.

100% agree that tac teams use SBRs. But that doesn't mean a lone homeowner should when something goes bump in the night. Yes, they are quite lethal - in the right hands.

Remember the OP was asking about his FIRST gun. That is not an AR. A nice little Ruger 10/22 should be his first.

I can field strip a Glock 9, 1911, M16/M4/AR15 and many more without thinking about it. Can hold my own at any range with almost any platform, but that's from years of training and practice. Sounds like you're well versed as well.

The OP just wants to point and shoot the bad guy.

So, when entering a small room with unknown bogies, target acquisition is quicker with a hand gun then with a rifle or SBR, whether it has red dot/reflex sights, holographic sites, or even BUIS --- UNLESS the shooter has spent considerable hours practicing with the red dot or HWS.

That is the advantage that LEOs have and why they use them. Practice, team work, practice, team work.
Then and only then, the AR or SBR is the perfect solution.

But the OP wanted a "35 caliper". Hard to tell him to go practice 5000 rounds with an AR when that's his starting point.

My first response was basically "take a course, practice, get a CCW (whether intend to carry or not), practice, choose your handgun, practice, practice, practice."

I actually expected this to turn into the timeless 9mm vs 45ACP debate. At least that didn't happen....yet...

-von

Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 1,808,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I don't recommend you buy a firearm for QUITE a LOOOOOONG time....35 CALIPER!
I was thinking the same GD thing!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Good advice. Thereís a high chance that double ought buck will not penetrate a wall which is why I prefer it as my first choice. Thatís also why I would consider anything that uses a NATO round like AR15 dead last.
Double ought buck will indeed penetrate a sheet rock wall especially at close range. It's typically composed of nine .32 caliber pellets.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
BS! That 5.56 has more penetrating ability of solid objects than the pistol rounds....they will pierce cleanly through a fresh 8x8 pressure treated timber at 100 yards...I've seen it and done it.
Indeed it does, I've done the same. I also shot a 7.65 bolt action Argentine Mauser into a piece of 1/2 inch plate steel. It damn near went through.
Attached Thumbnails
Where To Buy Used Handgun?-img_4437.jpg   Where To Buy Used Handgun?-img_4436.jpg   Where To Buy Used Handgun?-img_4438.jpg  

Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3452 View Post
First off, take a firearm safety course. If you intend to use the weapon only for home defense, there is no need to get your concealed carry permit which can be an expensive and lengthy process. There is no better weapon than a shotgun for defense of one's home. It requires little or no practice, you only have to point it in the general direction of the threat and there's a reduced risk of rounds penetrating several walls and injuring others unintentionally. If you are sold on the idea of a handgun, A Taurus Judge would be an option as it can be loaded with 410 gauge PDX1 rounds that fire a combination of small slugs and shot. This weapon also has the advantage of not requiring much skill to hit your intended target. Any handgun is only as useful as its' operator skill. If you aren't trained and competent, there's a good chance you won't hit your target and might injure innocent people.
Every firearm requires a certain amount of skill. You can only get that by practicing with the weapon(s) that you will be using for any given purpose. Not only for your own safety but for the safety of others. If you're gonna' put down a potential assailant you'd better be damn sure you hit them in a vital area. Otherwise you may only serve to p*ss them off, grab your gun and use it on you. Especially if they are all doped up on pain killers or God only knows what else.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In reverse order. If someone is launching a home invasion of my residence, a personal injury lawsuit is the least of my worried. Stopping the attacker is. In my estimation (and I'm very far from alone in this thinking), an AR platform weapon, especially a shorter, handier one, is the most effective way to do this. If you want to argue for a full power 12 Gauge shotgun, there are arguments both ways. I think the low ammo capacity, and unwieldy size argue against it. I won't argue that a good solid hit at close range from a 12 Gauge shell won't do the job. But getting the hit won't be any easier, follow up shots will be more difficult, and you only have 4-5 of them.

But a .410, especially out of pistol? Pretty anemic. Watch this to see how .410 out of a Judge (and even a Judge that fires 3" shells) does against pistols firing normal pistol caliber ammo

https://youtu.be/IDJHS0_l8xY

He's using the Federal 000 buck load, which as anemic as it is, is probably the defensive best load for that gun (or any .410 shotgun.) The PDX1 disk and BB load would fare worse.
I'd have to agree with that. In the S&W Governor or Taurus Judge you'd be better off using .45LC for personal self defense. I have an S&W Governor and mostly carry it while hiking out in the desert to be used against snakes. The nice thing about it is you can load it up with both shot shells and .45LC. It's a big gun and if it's only intended purpose is against human predators you'd be better off getting a semi auto .45ACP.

The Governor/Judge are for a niche market. Being that they can fire .410 shells they are more effective than than shot loads that are designed for conventional handguns.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Myself? I don't consider long guns to be very practical for close range situations or within the home. That's not what they are designed for. A long gun can be more easily wrestled away from you as there is more for your assailant to grab onto especially if you are taken by surprise. Going around a corner, exiting a doorway etc. Whereas with a handgun you can keep it close to your body. In one of the courses I took they showed how easy it would be to push a rifle or shotgun barrel out of the way and wrestle the gun out of your hand.

About the best thing you could do if you hear someone breaking in is to stay put and let the intruder come to you rather than you go looking for them. This way you can be prepared and have the element of surprise on them instead of the other way around. By staying put you can possibly hear which direction they are coming from and what section of your home they are in.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 PM

114 posts, read 148,392 times
Default home defense revolver

I recommend a (used) Smith and Wesson model 15 (or 37) 4 inch barrel, a 38 special revolver. easy shooter for male or female. easy to load and unload. very accurate. not heavy. price about 400 +/-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas