U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,502 posts, read 4,191,924 times
Reputation: 11182

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
With some rare exceptions it is not a problem in Las Vegas which is fiercely hostile to the concept. First off our steel mill is the strip and we do not need neighborhood homes used to compete with it. Secondly we are a big attraction so partying at an AirBnB can be a significant and nasty neighborhood problem.

So the concept is banned except in the City of LV where it is tightly limited and requires special permitting.

So don't sweat it...pretty much a large home problem anyway. AirBnB does not make out well on 500SF studios.
Go to Airbnb, homestay and other similar websites; you’ll find lots of offerings in condo communities in LV. Maybe illegal but still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM
 
709 posts, read 258,236 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
How can you tell if it's stick or mortar?
Check for floorboards or concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 03:56 AM
 
67 posts, read 18,039 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Check for floorboards or concrete.
Ok, so if a floor is ceramic tile it's more than likely concrete ? I know wooden floor boards tend to squeek when the house ages. Very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM
 
1,189 posts, read 252,948 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
Ok, so if a floor is ceramic tile it's more than likely concrete ? I know wooden floor boards tend to squeek when the house ages. Very annoying.
High rise construction will be concrete. Low-rise construction will probably be wood because it is less expensive to build structurally sound 2-story condos from wood (perhaps with some steel structural elements) than to build a structurally sound 2-story condo building from concrete. Yes, you can put ceramic tile over a wooden sub-floor. If the floor is ceramic tile, it won't squeak (well, it shouldn't, and if it does, there most likely is some form of problem or defect). Many condo buildings have a requirement that if you put in tile, you must put in a sound insulation mat underneath. Something like this: https://laticrete.com/tile-and-stone.../sound-control. It isn't perfect, but it helps.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 02-21-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 08:12 AM
 
1,189 posts, read 252,948 times
Reputation: 1961
When you buy a condominium anywhere - not just Las Vegas - you are in some sense buying into your neighbor's lifestyle. Do they get up at 4 AM, walk around quite a bit in their unit, and do their shoes with hard soles or perhaps high heels make noise on the floor? Do they start up their Harley - conveniently parked right outside your master bedroom - at 4:30 AM to commute to work? Most evenings, do they cook traditional Indian cuisine with pungent aromas which seem to waft into your unit? https://www.thespruceeats.com/never-...before-1957869 Does your neighbor have infants & toddlers who occasionally make noise the way all infants and toddlers occasionally do - and will that bother you? If your neighbor's condo hygiene is poor, leaving food out all the time, it might attract bugs (cockroaches), and those roaches will find their way into your unit even if your condo hygiene is impeccable, because it is all one structure. Even with very good condo soundproofing, in the real world, you should probably expect to hear and smell things.

If it were me, during the due diligence phase, I would ask (in writing through my real estate agent) some very detailed questions attempting to figure out these kind of lifestyle issues above. A good agent is important - the agent should know of the reputation of the condo & its residents - or should be able to find out.

I think I'd also read cover-to-cover the Condo HOA documents, which may be several inches thick. I'd review the financial statements of the HOA to see if there are glaring issues. I'd read past HOA minutes. I'd find out if there is any current or historical litigation - either owners suing the HOA or perhaps the HOA suing the developer (not uncommon for construction defects). By the way, you should do this for any HOA, not just a condo HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM
 
709 posts, read 258,236 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
Ok, so if a floor is ceramic tile it's more than likely concrete ? I know wooden floor boards tend to squeek when the house ages. Very annoying.
Not necessarily. I would pull the carpet and pad up in a corner and look if it's not obvious from walking around. If the whole place is tiled then you'll need to check in a utility room or closet and hope it's not tiled in there.

If there is a floor above you, there may be a place where there is no ceiling in the place like in a utility room where you can see if there are floorboards above you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,502 posts, read 4,191,924 times
Reputation: 11182
The condo complex the OP is considering is 2 story, in a great location, built in 2001. Each unit gets a single covered parking space. In that kind of complex, it would be a big mistake to get a bottom floor condo for parking lot noise issues, people walking dogs issues but also especially because of the vulnerability of having a water leak upstairs coming down into the bottom unit......not to mention the possibility of foot stomping overhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM
 
67 posts, read 18,039 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
High rise construction will be concrete. Low-rise construction will probably be wood because it is less expensive to build structurally sound 2-story condos from wood (perhaps with some steel structural elements) than to build a structurally sound 2-story condo building from concrete. Yes, you can put ceramic tile over a wooden sub-floor. If the floor is ceramic tile, it won't squeak (well, it shouldn't, and if it does, there most likely is some form of problem or defect). Many condo buildings have a requirement that if you put in tile, you must put in a sound insulation mat underneath. Something like this: https://laticrete.com/tile-and-stone.../sound-control. It isn't perfect, but it helps.
Thank you for that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 02:58 PM
 
67 posts, read 18,039 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The condo complex the OP is considering is 2 story, in a great location, built in 2001. Each unit gets a single covered parking space. In that kind of complex, it would be a big mistake to get a bottom floor condo for parking lot noise issues, people walking dogs issues but also especially because of the vulnerability of having a water leak upstairs coming down into the bottom unit......not to mention the possibility of foot stomping overhead.
Maybe that's why all of the condos I see for sale are on the first floor. Hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 03:30 PM
 
173 posts, read 92,629 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
Maybe that's why all of the condos I see for sale are on the first floor. Hmmmm
Now you know why I bought my condo on the second floor and wouldn't be on the first floor.

Never buy a unit on the first floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top