Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM

52 posts, read 99,538 times

Advertisements

What part of town are you moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:03 PM

96 posts, read 80,608 times
I was worried about scorpions as well after reading what trouble they make, but thanks God never had them (and I moved around three times - and bought UV light lamp to search inside and outside of home).
We have seen giant roaches, but I buy Combat Bait for roaches (even as preventive), and that helped.

Regarding scorpions and bed, I read earlier that people use something like glass jars to put bed legs in it - so they cannot climb...

If you are really so much scared about that, I would recommend buying UV lamp and go and check if you can see them in the night around the place/building where you plan to move.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:18 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
I have only seen one, and it was at work. My work location is in the middle of the open desert. Have yet to see one at home in 20 years of living here.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM

228 posts, read 197,043 times
I have been here a little over a year and have yet to see a Scorpion. (I live in far N. Las Vegas) I moved from the Hill Country of Texas and there we had a lot, I was stung twice and it hurts, but not as bad as a Yellow Jacket. I kept a bottle of Spirit of ammonia, you get at Pharmacy's and it takes the sting away. I was told to keep your bed from under the AC duct as that is where a lot come in from.
I don't use a bug guy and really don't have a problem with any bugs here. I did have some brown beetle looking bugs with a red dot on them and they move fast. I don't kill them, not even the scorpions I found in Texas, I have a bug jar, capture them and put them back outside. I know it sounds crazy, but to me, it is just good Kharma.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM

117 posts, read 106,607 times
This subject was on my radar when I moved here last year. I live in the NW valley next to Summerlin and have yet to see one. Haven't seen any hiking Red Rock either.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:19 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
I have been here a little over a year and have yet to see a Scorpion. (I live in far N. Las Vegas) I moved from the Hill Country of Texas and there we had a lot, I was stung twice and it hurts, but not as bad as a Yellow Jacket.
Boy, does that bring back memories. Years ago, we were visiting my father's uncle's place in northwest Georgia. A yellow jacket got up the sleeve of my shirt, and it stung me probably half a dozen times before I could get it out.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 PM

44 posts, read 49,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruples View Post
Hi! I’m moving to Las Vegas in the next couple of weeks and I am super exited about pretty much everything...except the scorpions. I have read horror stories about how these little demons will just crawl in bed with you at night and nest in shoes and hang out in kitchen cabinets just waiting to strike. While I am certain there is a level of dramatics in my readings, I’m wondering though if this is something that I should honestly prepare and proof my house against. I have read that they are not able to climb on flat surfaces so I am wondering if I should go as far as surrounding the walls of my apartment with a 3 inch high sheet of plexiglass to keep them from climbing on the walls. Should I cover my bed with something from the ceiling to ensure they don’t suicude bomb me at night? Any advice is welcome, even if you tell me I am being crazy.
I've lived here since 2005. Once, I found a dead dried out scorpion inside my house. However, saying that, if you have a regular extermination service, it should not be an issue.

Don't be paranoid.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:35 PM

838 posts, read 565,590 times
I've been here for 4 years now and have only seen baby scorpions which will show-up in my garage from time to time,
These are extremely small and being nearsighted i had to put on my glasses and stoop down to even see them.

I would just recommend making a habit of tapping your shoes upside down before putting them on, That's usually what i do.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:15 PM

661 posts, read 631,668 times
I only saw 1 scorpion when we moved into our new house in 2009. It was dead in the garage. Never saw another since.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:05 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Arizona deserts have larger colonies of scorpions. Here in Nevada, they're far fewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: