U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 AM

289 posts, read 92,889 times

Advertisements

[quote=usafwso;54596933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
When selling something I always get texts about how the buyer will send an agent, pay me more, their mother's uncle's farmer's milkman has cancer, they are overseas, etc, etc. I only deal with locals who can meet in person and pay cash.

I suppose the number one tip when buying is if it's too good to be true then it probably is a scam of some kind.

If you search for "Sony OLED" you will see a listing for $600 new, when the retail price is closer to $3,000. This listing appears all over the country on pretty much all of the local Craigslists. I emailed support yesterday, so hopefully it gets taken down, although there are probably thousands of listings (for things other than tvs) like it.[/QUOT(

Is Craig's List still a thing? I can't imagine why. Would you want a stranger coming to your home?
I have had good results using Craigslist in other cities and I did find my current living arrangement through craigslist.

I have found Las Vegas Craigslist to be significantly more treacherous than other cities and rife with scammers and "humanoids" trolling for assorted gratification and debauchery.

This can be a crazy and chaotic place but there's a lot to love and I have no intention of leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 AM

18 posts, read 19,161 times
I've had some success with the Offerup and Letgo apps but use Letgo the most as I can list items from my PC. May try those if you don't like CL/FB. If your community has a Nextdoor presence, you can also list items on there. I did use that before we sold our house as well but we're currently in an apartment until we relo to LV this Summer.

I pretty much list my items on them, Craigslist and in Facebook groups and give people one opportunity and a one strike policy. I dictate the time/place to meet and do not veer from that and usually always meet in a Wal-Mart/Target lot as there is usually tons of traffic and cameras in case anything goes sideways. When being contacted through email/IM, I typically state all of that -- "Can meet on X date/time at Y. Only take cash. If this doesn't work, good luck in your search elsewhere."

Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,191,876 times
Years ago I listed a computer printer for sale on Craigslist. I got a contact via email from a person claiming to be an out-of-town buyer who was willing to pay shipping to buy it. All that they wanted was a name and address to send the check to. The check never arrived. About a month later, I was contacted by the owner of a music store in Omaha who said that someone was using my name and address to try to buy a $14,000 violin and ship it to Nigeria. He read back the credit card numbers that were being provided for the purchase, and none of them matched any card that I had (no doubt stolen numbers). The shop owner explained that because there has been so much fraud, many businesses won't ship items without a U. S. billing address. The scammers are using Craigslist listings as a way to harvest names and addresses that they can use..

Old Today, 10:08 AM

395 posts, read 258,002 times
I toyed with one of those cashier check scammers for weeks. Gave them NV Secretary of State's address as mine. Officially gave up on CL when a trans wanted me to do his/her make-up after buying one of my wigs, meeting up in a Wal-Mart parking lot. (He'd originally wanted all three and wanted me to deliver to his/her house!) I've had much better experiences on Offer Up and Let It Go apps - you can even rate the buyer at the end of the transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas