U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I lived in Vegas for 10 years and left in 2010 for a job in NY. It's a union job and I make around 50k. But I have been considering quiting and moving back because I have all my family there and miss them a lot. Only problem is I am not sure how the job market is, I am currently a hotel cleaner and I want to get into a new job field. I am just worried about quitting a secure job and making a big mistake and moving back and making minimum wage and struggling (I have been a cleaner since I graduated high school and have never done anything else) Can any of you guys give me some advice and guidance? I'm am 30 and if I move back I will have to live by myself because my family has no room for me to stay with them. I also have 30k saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,410,195 times
Start applying for jobs now. Use your families address on your resume. Be ready to hop on a flight when the time comes for an in person interview.

Definitely would try to secure work before you make the move back.

Best wishes.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:12 AM

284 posts, read 91,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLiving2304 View Post
Hi everyone, I lived in Vegas for 10 years and left in 2010 for a job in NY. It's a union job and I make around 50k. But I have been considering quiting and moving back because I have all my family there and miss them a lot. Only problem is I am not sure how the job market is, I am currently a hotel cleaner and I want to get into a new job field. I am just worried about quitting a secure job and making a big mistake and moving back and making minimum wage and struggling (I have been a cleaner since I graduated high school and have never done anything else) Can any of you guys give me some advice and guidance? I'm am 30 and if I move back I will have to live by myself because my family has no room for me to stay with them. I also have 30k saved.
What sort of job field are you wanting to switch to? Longer term residents can correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be making 50K here as a housekeeper.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 AM

27 posts, read 8,837 times
First things first.

First, determine how much you will make in Vegas as a cleaner. Why? Because getting a new job in a new city is 1000% easier and quicker if you stay in your field. You have experience and you MUST leverage that to get a new job.

Use glassdoor and similar sites to compare salaries between cities. Again, SAME JOB.

I assume you are in NYC and not upstate. NYC has a higher cost of living than LV.

Soo, now use one of many Salary & COL Comparison sites, where you plug in your current salary and city, then put your NEW salary in the NEW city. It will compare the COL and your new salary. That will determine if you can maintain your style of living.

For instance, 50K in NYC might be equal to 38K in LV.

DO NOT attempt a new city and a new field at the same time. Get a job as a cleaner FIRST, then move to LV and stay at that job for 1-year for stability purposes, and then AND ONLY THEN start looking for a new field, or attend school, etc.

Good luck.

-von

Old 03-04-2019, 11:50 AM

541 posts, read 618,097 times
Economy tanks in LV run to NY
Economy thriving in LV leave NY
Economy tanks back to NY
No wonder this great City is transient
Lol

Old 03-04-2019, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
What sort of job field are you wanting to switch to? Longer term residents can correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be making 50K here as a housekeeper.
Not sure what field just don't want to be a cleaner anymore. Ya I know cleaners probably make nothing in LV that's why I am open to a change. Are temp jobs a good option?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Start applying for jobs now. Use your families address on your resume. Be ready to hop on a flight when the time comes for an in person interview.

Definitely would try to secure work before you make the move back.

Best wishes.
Is it hard to get a job if I just move there without one lined up?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:43 PM

11,783 posts, read 23,136,222 times
Quote:
Yes

Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Yes
How long do you think in your opinion it would take to secure some kind of employment? Are temp agency's popular in LV?

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

847 posts, read 1,190,083 times
Quote:

Just don't do it...get a job before you come out here. Las Vegas can be a very tough town if you have limited resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or