Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 2,812 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy an condo/townhouse/small house in Summerlin so that the kids could attend Sig Rogich MS and Palo Verde HS. Considering how crowded these two schools are, I am very nervous about re-zoning. I have studied the attendance boundary maps of these and adjacent schools very carefully, and looked into Clark County School District's plans for new middle and high schools (none are planned so far in or around Summerlin).

I think that the best bet would be to get a place as close as possible to the desired schools, even if it means compromising on quality (getting a smaller/more inferior price for the amount I am prepared to pay). Thus, I have narrowed my search area to west of Hualapai Way, north of Charleston Blvd, east of Bruce Woodbury Beltway, and south of Summerlin Parkway. Do you think that going forward, there is a likelihood that this area might be re-zoned to other schools? It does seem unlikely, but we already have a bad experience when our place just across the street from Batterman ES was re-zoned to another school farther away. Thanks for your view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martina56 View Post
I am looking to buy an condo/townhouse/small house in Summerlin so that the kids could attend Sig Rogich MS and Palo Verde HS. Considering how crowded these two schools are, I am very nervous about re-zoning. I have studied the attendance boundary maps of these and adjacent schools very carefully, and looked into Clark County School District's plans for new middle and high schools (none are planned so far in or around Summerlin).

I think that the best bet would be to get a place as close as possible to the desired schools, even if it means compromising on quality (getting a smaller/more inferior price for the amount I am prepared to pay). Thus, I have narrowed my search area to west of Hualapai Way, north of Charleston Blvd, east of Bruce Woodbury Beltway, and south of Summerlin Parkway. Do you think that going forward, there is a likelihood that this area might be re-zoned to other schools? It does seem unlikely, but we already have a bad experience when our place just across the street from Batterman ES was re-zoned to another school farther away. Thanks for your view.
Hi, welcome to Summerlin! I have spoken with district administration about future redistricting in Summerlin. I have been informed that when it becomes necessary the plan is to push the boundary west. This means that non-Summerlin neighborhoods will be zoned out. Any areas of Summerlin that are currently zoned for Sig Rogich and Palo Verde will always be. Good luck on your home search and,again, welcome to our beautiful community!

Old 03-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Huge thanks for your insights and warm words of welcome! I will keep looking in the area called the Arbors - it seems to be close enough to schools and is included in the official map of Summerlin on the website, so hopefully no risk of rezoning.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:04 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martina56 View Post
Huge thanks for your insights and warm words of welcome! I will keep looking in the area called the Arbors - it seems to be close enough to schools and is included in the official map of Summerlin on the website, so hopefully no risk of rezoning.
The Arbors is gorgeous. I have many friends and colleagues who live there and love it. A close walk to some of the best schools in our state. There are spectacular views from many of the subdivisions.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
The Arbors is gorgeous. I have many friends and colleagues who live there and love it. A close walk to some of the best schools in our state. There are spectacular views from many of the subdivisions.
Actually part of the Arbors was low end Summerlin...buffer for the 215 and Summerlin Pkwy. I do agree however that it is actually one of the nicer pieces of Summerlin.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
I wouldn't worry too much about zoning. You can always lie about your address, as there's no verification done by schools since their funding is directly tied to student enrollment.

If you want to go the "legal" route, CCSD grants several zoning variances for students. My personal favorite is CCSD's "minority-to-majority" variance, where CCSD grants variances to any student that brings the sending and receiving school's demographics closer to the district average.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about zoning. You can always lie about your address, as there's no verification done by schools since their funding is directly tied to student enrollment.
It says right on the CCSD site you need to present proof of address:

You must bring one of the following:

Recent utility bill
Rent receipt
Residence Lease or Sales Contract
Note: If you only have a sales contract for the purchase of a new home as proof of address, the school will enroll your child on the condition that one additional proof of address from the above list is submitted within 30 days. Driver's license, telephone bill or cable bill are NOT acceptable.

If you are living with a friend or relative because of economic hardship you will need to bring to the school site, a notarized letter signed by the owner/renter stating that their address is your place of residence.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
It says right on the CCSD site you need to present proof of address:

You must bring one of the following:

Recent utility bill
Rent receipt
Residence Lease or Sales Contract
Note: If you only have a sales contract for the purchase of a new home as proof of address, the school will enroll your child on the condition that one additional proof of address from the above list is submitted within 30 days. Driver's license, telephone bill or cable bill are NOT acceptable.

If you are living with a friend or relative because of economic hardship you will need to bring to the school site, a notarized letter signed by the owner/renter stating that their address is your place of residence.
Literally all of that can be forged and that's exactly what people do.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all your inputs and suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas