U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 PM
 
15 posts, read 14,135 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Hi all,

Last year you were all so helpful when we were making the decision where to live when we moved to Nevada from Michigan that I thought I would ask for some more advice.

We made the leap last year and left Michigan for Nevada. I have to say we really like it. The weather is nice, the amenities are plenty and we really enjoy being so close to many things we like to do. The schools, eh, we are figuring it out and have a pretty solid plan in place.

My question comes down to housing. We really should have rented for a year ,but well, we didn't. And now we own a very nice house in the pretty nice subdivision of Fox Ridge. However we are between Warm Springs and Sunset (89014 zip) and after a year here I am wondering if this was the best choice.

The neighborhoods around us feel a bit rough. The businesses at Warm Springs and Green Valley Parkway are dying out and our neighborhood elementary school was such that we ended up placing our kids in a charter. Our neighbors are great but they are all done raising families so no kiddos for mine to play with and I am worried that once they decide to move the neighborhood will start to go down hill.

Here's my question, should we start considering a move sooner than later? Is this area heading in the wrong direction? My kids are looking to put down roots and I want the best place for them to do so.

Thank you!

Jillienne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 PM
 
68 posts, read 358,854 times
Reputation: 166
I live just down the street from you (GVP and Wigwam). My parents are even closer (GVP and Windmill), and honestly, I love both our areas and cannot see myself moving to any other part of the valley. While it's true that the neighborhoods do seem a little rougher on GVP once you hit Warm Springs, I still think it's a decent area, and I'd feel completely silly advising you to move a freakin' mile down the same street.

As for the businesses, I know that the big one on GVP and Warm Springs was the Food 4 Less that was closed around four years ago and remains unoccupied. It's a bummer that no one's moved in there, but at least you guys are getting a La Bonita on Sunset soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Status: "Excited to move to Vegas!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Beaverton, OR
5,530 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Reputation: 6304
Casa Bonita? [vimeo]102528676[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/102528676

I'd be all over a Casa Bonita like Cartman on a burrito. I don't know about La Bonita, though, never heard of it. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 AM
 
10 posts, read 3,010 times
Reputation: 10
I live nearby as well, for 30+ years. It's not going to get better. In my opinion, not the place to set down roots for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
608 posts, read 442,302 times
Reputation: 835
Yes. I'd bail. I don't think it's silly to move down the street, since school quality improves significantly. Anyone who drives north on Valle Verde notices a drop off in neighborhoods once you cross the railroad tracks.

I would have advised you to stay away from McDoniel, as free and reduced lunch students jumped from 24% in 2009 to 49% in 2012. Ideally you should be south of 215, although Bartlett ES is an improvement and you get their zoning if you're south of Windmill.

89014 got screwed in middle school zoning, as White MS got transitioned to a full magnet school and everyone north of Warm Springs now gets Cortney MS zoning which is a garbage school. You have to be south of Warm Springs to get Greenspun MS zoning, or it's not worth buying in the area.

Green Valley HS is bad (18.6 average ACT) and SECTA is only marginally better (19.1 average ACT) with their filtered out students, mostly from Del Sol and Chaparral. These are still top 10 high schools for CCSD, which is why you see ratings like 8/10 for these schools online, but they're awful in comparison to Metro Detroit schools. Ideally you want to be south of Wigwam to get Coronado zoning (21.3 average ACT).

I don't know if there's any areas in the valley that are heading in the right direction. Virtually every school in CCSD is growing in terms of their free and reduced lunch numbers. Everywhere I go there are more apartments being constructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
608 posts, read 442,302 times
Reputation: 835
Something to consider since being in a diverse community is important to you - Henderson has a significantly lower percent of African American students than Summerlin. Palo Verde in Summerlin has nearly double the percent of African American students (9.0%) than Coronado (4.8%) or Foothill (4.3%) in Henderson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Status: "Excited to move to Vegas!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Beaverton, OR
5,530 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Reputation: 6304
Do these schools actually take the ACT? I've never known anyone who has taken that test, it's all about the SAT on the West Coast. I've never heard of anyone even being asked or required to take it for any college to which they applied, so I have no clue how their scoring works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 PM
 
1 posts, read 302 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Yes. I'd bail. I don't think it's silly to move down the street, since school quality improves significantly. Anyone who drives north on Valle Verde notices a drop off in neighborhoods once you cross the railroad tracks.

I would have advised you to stay away from McDoniel, as free and reduced lunch students jumped from 24% in 2009 to 49% in 2012. Ideally you should be south of 215, although Bartlett ES is an improvement and you get their zoning if you're south of Windmill.

89014 got screwed in middle school zoning, as White MS got transitioned to a full magnet school and everyone north of Warm Springs now gets Cortney MS zoning which is a garbage school. You have to be south of Warm Springs to get Greenspun MS zoning, or it's not worth buying in the area.

Green Valley HS is bad (18.6 average ACT) and SECTA is only marginally better (19.1 average ACT) with their filtered out students, mostly from Del Sol and Chaparral. These are still top 10 high schools for CCSD, which is why you see ratings like 8/10 for these schools online, but they're awful in comparison to Metro Detroit schools. Ideally you want to be south of Wigwam to get Coronado zoning (21.3 average ACT).

I don't know if there's any areas in the valley that are heading in the right direction. Virtually every school in CCSD is growing in terms of their free and reduced lunch numbers. Everywhere I go there are more apartments being constructed.
Totally agree. I have lived near Valle Verde and Paseo Verde for the last 15 years and have seen the decay and problems travel south. Especially in the last 3 years. A lot of vandalism, burglaries and vagrancy. My kids are in middle school and we have a dramatic increase in fights and outrageous behavior in the classroom. When we bought in GVR it was a decent area. I also put a lot of blame on the new apartments. I call them slums.My wife and I are selling and moving to BC. Hopefully that buys us until the kids get out of HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
608 posts, read 442,302 times
Reputation: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwaters70 View Post
Totally agree. I have lived near Valle Verde and Paseo Verde for the last 15 years and have seen the decay and problems travel south. Especially in the last 3 years. A lot of vandalism, burglaries and vagrancy. My kids are in middle school and we have a dramatic increase in fights and outrageous behavior in the classroom. When we bought in GVR it was a decent area. I also put a lot of blame on the new apartments. I call them slums.My wife and I are selling and moving to BC. Hopefully that buys us until the kids get out of HS.
Yay you're back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
608 posts, read 442,302 times
Reputation: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Do these schools actually take the ACT? I've never known anyone who has taken that test, it's all about the SAT on the West Coast. I've never heard of anyone even being asked or required to take it for any college to which they applied, so I have no clue how their scoring works.
All 11th grade students in CCSD take the ACT.

A score of 18 in English and 22 in Math is considered college-ready by the ACT. This is similar to an SAT of 480 for Reading and 530 for Math.

Nevada students weren't hitting those scores, so the Department of Education lowered those benchmarks to 17 for English and 20 for Math.

Only 2 schools have an average Math ACT over 22 - West CTA and A-Tech.

4 schools have an average Math ACT over 20 - NW CTA, LV Academy, Coronado, and Palo Verde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top