Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:42 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

No one posts about what's called Dry Cold. Dry Heat is great, when it's 110, with low humidity, the feel effect is the high 90's. Nice!

And then comes the winter and you're dealing with Dry Cold. Same theory! If it gets down to 40 the feel effect may be 30, unless there's a blanket (clouds) in the sky. Add in wind, and it goes down even further. Add with one of those wind blasters of 60MPH and you may be looking at the feel effect of 10-15 degrees.

I have COPD, and you have to be proactive. You may start your bike ride or walk and no wind, but you must be proactive, just in case the wind kicks up and a mask should be part of your survival gear. You know, that fine silica that flies into the city from the desert, that powdery film you find on your car the next day, yup! that fine powder can go directly into your lungs. Cough! Cough!

For some odd reason, I feel like my health has improved moving to Tucson (not having to deal with all the wind in Las Vegas?) except during our monsoon season, and if Las Vegans went through a monsoon season in Tucson, they'd feel like they went down to the Amazon! This is my critical zone, having COPD, dealing with the extra amount of humidity here in the monsoon season. It's coming, and I dread it!

Here, there's sheets of rain that come down that sounds like hail hitting your roof. Blasts of rain that can leave you breathless! 10-12 inches of precip. a year here (last year 13 inches) and only 3-4 inches for Las Vegas, 7-8 inches for Phoenix. The aridity of Las Vegas, I miss it, but nothing more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
you might want to look up allergy and pollen searches...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=36737453

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=36737456

Old 06-28-2019, 07:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Could someone speak to the affect of a hot, dry climate on the health of an elderly person? Isn't it actually recommended? Don't a lot of people retire to that area for health reasons?

I can't move to Denver because the altitude and thin air might make it difficult to breath, given a tiny bit of COPD. I would hate the cold, also.
It's better for me as far as arthritis goes...I had no idea how much underlining pain was going to be an issue for me until I relocated to a damp climate (this was one of many factors involved in my decision to return). Also although I have never been diagnosed with any breathing issues, it is easier to breathe in the drier climate.

Wind can play a roll in limiting certain activities at times but well worth the trade off imho.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:10 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Effect 100%.

My allergies improved the first few years I was here. But the last 2 years have been kind of miserable. Seems like I have a sinus infection the whole time. I pop sinus and allergy pills daily.
The week I was in LA seemed to stop the problem for the most part. Not sure what's causing my issues. It may be something completely unrelated to the weather/desert.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 AM

755 posts, read 399,437 times
Don't worry, it's probably just the ammonia perchlorate, or the asbestos.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
I haven't written any books, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The only time I don't like it much is when we have the monsoon season for a month or so. High humidity and I always feel it too much. Prefer it bone dry, just use lots of lotion and moisturizer and hair conditioner and you will be fine.
I'm with PinkString. I dislike the combination of hot + humdity.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:32 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Was this the time the winds were 70 mph+? We had a heck of a time trying to secure our back yard furniture a few times with winds this high, sandblasting the heck out of us at the same time. Yeah, it doesn't get windy here.
Yes. I meant Koval. Poles down. Lights out on Las Vegas blvd headed downtown. It was not pretty.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Moved from Ohio to Vegas, the daily migraines stopped. Vegas to Florida, light migraines back about once a week. Skin feels a bit better here (moisture). Sinuses worse. The big medical difference is my anemia (not location related). Suffered for about 4-5 years in Vegas. Iron pills terrible. Here, went to hematologist, several ivs of iron in 1 month...anemia gone. It’s been 5 months without being anemic.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
I have degenerative osteoarthritis, so the heat would probably be good. I don't go out much so the dust is really not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: