U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM

2,968 posts, read 1,006,212 times

Advertisements

Could someone speak to the affect of a hot, dry climate on the health of an elderly person? Isn't it actually recommended? Don't a lot of people retire to that area for health reasons?

I can't move to Denver because the altitude and thin air might make it difficult to breath, given a tiny bit of COPD. I would hate the cold, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 11:52 AM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Dry heat is probably good BUT... We have a LOT of wind and dust!

Old 06-27-2019, 12:42 PM

2,132 posts, read 524,377 times
Life is good.

Then you die.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:13 PM

74 posts, read 70,516 times
My husband also has COPD and he's noticed that it's harder to breathe when the humidity is higher, which in Vegas is not usually a big problem. He doesn't go out when the wind is blowing hard, because of the dust. Otherwise, he does very well in this climate. The early morning fresh air will help too.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,006,212 times
Some anonymous person just left me a comment that I should have used "effect" rather than "affect." That is indeed a common mistake. I've published four books (available on Amazon) and try to avoid mistakes like this. My notes on the subject include:

Quote:
Affect: verb
Effect: noun

When to use effect vs. affect

affect: usually a verb, meaning "to have an influence on."

effect: usually a noun, meaning "the result of an action or cause."

Tips:
When A affects B, it results in an effect. Affect is an action on something."have an effect on" is a synonym for affect, i.e. "affect" can be replaced with with "have an effect on."
So, I chose "affect" because I was using it in the verb form. No?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Itís easiest I think just to remember that something affects something else, but whenever youíre talking about,
ďCould someone explain to me the effects of global warming?Ē or whatnot, itís effect, as in your original post the way you mentioned it. Iíve written two books, not four, so good for you!

I think warmth is often preferred by elderly people because as you lose muscle and fat you have trouble retaining body heat as well, but Iím not sure what else. I believe there are two camps, and boy would I love a study on this one day, there are people like me who wonít even notice wind if itís below 25 mph and there are people who complain about 4 mph winds. Wind is not a big deal in Vegas, the average wind speed is 9.1 mph and thatís below most other major cities, or certainly not more than 0.5 higher. But some people are extremely sensitive to tiny amounts of wind, so Phoenix may be better for them as I think itís around 6.4.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

9,949 posts, read 22,170,356 times
I hate to break it to you JonathanLB, but it gets pretty windy here. Especially if you live near the edges of the valley, near the mountains for some reason. Here where I live, we have the Sheep Range mountains. Very wind blown. And the wind does not just stay there, it comes here to us and messes up our hair. Makes a mess of outside furniture, blows the doormat away. I was outside yesterday, walking up Allen, and the wind kept trying to blow my blouse off and my hair was all over the place, blocking my sight. So, yes, it gets windy here. Depending where you are in the valley, it is either less windy or more windy.

As for the weather being great for older people here in Las Vegas. Yes, the drier the better. The only time I don't like it much is when we have the monsoon season for a month or so. High humidity and I always feel it too much. Prefer it bone dry, just use lots of lotion and moisturizer and hair conditioner and you will be fine.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 PM

12,044 posts, read 23,535,009 times
Remember the storms and winds that knocked down the poles on local? That was fun. Vegas doesn’t get strong winds.... lol

Old 06-28-2019, 01:48 AM

7,216 posts, read 12,651,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Some anonymous person just left me a comment that I should have used "effect" rather than "affect." That is indeed a common mistake. I've published four books (available on Amazon) and try to avoid mistakes like this. My notes on the subject include: ...

So, I chose "affect" because I was using it in the verb form. No?
No, you were using it as a noun. You can tell this because in the opening post you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Could someone speak to THE affect of a hot, dry climate on the health of an elderly person? Isn't it actually recommended? Don't a lot of people retire to that area for health reasons?
The article "the" is a big clue that you're using the word as a NOUN. In the thread title the "the" is ASSUMED (since you didn't actually write it), but it's still "there" so the correct word is "effect," not "affect." Incidentally, "effect" can be a verb too, but it's not used that way very often in the US; it basically means "put into effect" or "cause," and alas, most people use it incorrectly.

So whoever rep'd you anonymously (and I swear I didn't do it, although it sounds like something I might do if I were in a particularly pedantic mood! ) was correct.

But forget that ... you raise a really interesting question.

I live in New Hampshire (which I mostly love -- I don't mind cold weather at all, even when it involves snow-blowing) and will likely retire here or in Maine or in the UK (dual citizenship thanks to my mom). But my sister lives in Henderson Nevada, and years ago, LONG before I moved to New Hampshire, I considered moving there. I didn't, but now, as an aging person (I was 60 in January and am feeling every minute of it these days -- a knee replacement is in my near future ), it sounds appealing in some ways. But I don't think I could take the heat ...

Are you seriously considering moving to Vegas? What draws you there (besides the dry heat)? I would be very interested to hear more.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:03 AM

9,949 posts, read 22,170,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Remember the storms and winds that knocked down the poles on local? That was fun. Vegas doesnít get strong winds.... lol

Was this the time the winds were 70 mph+? We had a heck of a time trying to secure our back yard furniture a few times with winds this high, sandblasting the heck out of us at the same time. Yeah, it doesn't get windy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or