Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 PM

755 posts, read 399,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Impressive, but Feynman got a Nobel Prize for it.
LOL. Wasn't sure anyone knew that. I had a dual major tho, studied grammar with Ken Kesey at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 AM

555 posts, read 774,744 times
If i were you I would start applying in the government sector (local, state, federal).... Have you applied for entry level (non-teaching) jobs at the universities, or the state's various university administrative offices. Also, maybe consider applying for a teaching or non-teaching job at the school district.

I have heard similar stories from other recent transplants.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:24 AM

32 posts, read 26,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
You sure NV has NO fortune 1000 companies?
There are 9 Fortune 1000 companies in Las Vegas.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
You sure NV has NO fortune 1000 companies?
Yeah it has 7, nowhere close to zero. What a dumb statement.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah it has 7, nowhere close to zero. What a dumb statement.
Only thing he might be referring to what ever business his friend was in?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM

124 posts, read 105,589 times
Jeez, I looked at a map which showed ZERO. Just looked at another one which shows 8. Posters have stated both 7&9.
My bad. Really doesn't impact my point though.

It's not "stupid" JLB, it was simply an ill-informed statement. Surprised you didn't recognize it as such, given your propensity to making them.

The essense of my response remains unchanged and accurate - compared to other Cities, especially larger ones in CA, TX, NY, etc., LV will have a TINY FRACTION of the opportunities for new grads. This is especially true with Majors like English and GIS.

I truly do not understand why unemployed new grads move here, then complain about the city itself when they can't find a job. They moved here because they couldn't find a job.

I suppose they move to LV because it's a cool place. Deep down, somewhere, they must realize that opportunities for an unemployed English major will be quite limited in LV. Not exactly a College Town. Like GIS, they convince themselves and family that everything will be A-OK once they get here. This is delusional.

Back to the OP, surely he's already totally exhausted every possible opportunity within Academia?? That's basically what his degrees are designed for.

I wish the OP no ill-will, however, blaming "Las Vegas" for bad interviews and lack of gainful employment is misplaced responsibility.

-von

Old 06-28-2019, 06:05 PM

In my field, there are quite a few top notch bongo players in Nevada.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s just not the city for that type of major, but then again what is? You probably need more of a university town or place but again I’d secure that job before moving somewhere because colleges around the country probably hire your position or maybe a high school. It’s nonsense teachers don’t make money, they can make a good deal of money. In the Portland area it’s around $67,000/year for Vancouver teachers and they still were complaining, despite summers off and tons of breaks. Don’t get me wrong I hate kids too, I wouldn’t work with them for $67K, but that’s a pretty good salary for most.

I’m sorry for the troubles you’ve had. As a philosophy major, I’m sure I’d do 100 interviews without a job
^This
Prior to my decision to move to Vegas, I did some searching on the job boards to make sure there were in fact, jobs for Dental Hygienists in the area. I also placed a few phone calls to inquire as to if there was a shortage (there was). I have also procured my State License well before my moving date. Doing your homework before embarking on a new journey pays off. Hard for me to feel sorry for any professional who fails to do their homework and who fails to think or plan ahead.

Last edited by mahadragon; 06-28-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Jeez, I looked at a map which showed ZERO. Just looked at another one which shows 8. Posters have stated both 7&9.
My bad. Really doesn't impact my point though.

It's not "stupid" JLB, it was simply an ill-informed statement. Surprised you didn't recognize it as such, given your propensity to making them.

The essense of my response remains unchanged and accurate - compared to other Cities, especially larger ones in CA, TX, NY, etc., LV will have a TINY FRACTION of the opportunities for new grads. This is especially true with Majors like English and GIS.

I truly do not understand why unemployed new grads move here, then complain about the city itself when they can't find a job. They moved here because they couldn't find a job.

I suppose they move to LV because it's a cool place. Deep down, somewhere, they must realize that opportunities for an unemployed English major will be quite limited in LV. Not exactly a College Town. Like GIS, they convince themselves and family that everything will be A-OK once they get here. This is delusional.

Back to the OP, surely he's already totally exhausted every possible opportunity within Academia?? That's basically what his degrees are designed for.

I wish the OP no ill-will, however, blaming "Las Vegas" for bad interviews and lack of gainful employment is misplaced responsibility.

-von
I agree with you, it’s not a city’s fault because someone can’t find a job. And don’t take it as a personal attack if someone calls a wrong statement stupid, I certainly wasn’t calling you stupid. There’s a difference between a wrong factually verifiable piece of information and something with which you disagree, however. The only stupid statement I ever made on this forum was that I thought back in the day Summerlin was a city, which it isn’t at all lol. Anything else I’ve said is merely my opinion, and whether you think it’s stupid or not isn’t honestly going to cost me any sleep at night. People are entitled to disagree without it hurting my feelings or impacting my opinion of them. They’re as entitled to their opinions as I am mine, no harm, no foul. What you wrote in your post was great, I wholeheartedly agree.

Every city has its strong industries and weak ones, so you have to know where to look for your specialty. For film that’s Los Angeles, NYC, Toronto, etc. For hospitality and gaming that’s Vegas - all 7 Fortune 1000 companies I saw listed were in the gaming industry or hotel industry. For tech you may choose Seattle or SF. Doctors are needed everywhere but still you locate an opening before moving, because if your specialty is radiology you don’t know if every city has a spot for you there, but I’m sure dozens will.

Vegas seems not a good place for educational professions given the almost shockingly low number of options for higher education. I’m used to a city of that size having 15-20 community college options and dozens of universities not like one of each ha ha. To me, I don’t care though as I have my degree and don’t care to fund universities when there are quite enough of them nationwide I’d say. If someone needs that, move. Simple solution.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:28 PM

265 posts, read 204,607 times
Anyone have any good recommendations for head hunters in this city? Looking for a better job/career. I have a marketing/business background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: