U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2019, 03:52 PM
 
106 posts, read 50,500 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Has anybody done their driving test in Flamingo? If so, how was it? How are the routes and how are the examiners?

Took mine in Henderson and failed. Autofail for car honking behind me when making a left turn on a blinking yellow arrow and another autofail because examiner intervened and told me to break when driving through a round-about (another car was entering and did not slow down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2019, 06:44 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,432 times
Reputation: 15
I did it there a few weeks back - No issues at all. I'm from a different country though where the test is much longer (and frankly harder) - Changed lanes a few times, turned a couple of lefts and a couple of rights and parallel parked.

Instructor was really pleasant - I'd heard they could be a bit dry and serious, but we just had a casual chat most of the way around. Are you moving from out of state/country and getting a US license, or just learning to drive?

I think they only have 5 route options, so your best bet is probably to just grab a couple of lessons with someone who knows what those routes are and you can practice them ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM
 
106 posts, read 50,500 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeps View Post
I did it there a few weeks back - No issues at all. I'm from a different country though where the test is much longer (and frankly harder) - Changed lanes a few times, turned a couple of lefts and a couple of rights and parallel parked.

Instructor was really pleasant - I'd heard they could be a bit dry and serious, but we just had a casual chat most of the way around. Are you moving from out of state/country and getting a US license, or just learning to drive?

I think they only have 5 route options, so your best bet is probably to just grab a couple of lessons with someone who knows what those routes are and you can practice them ahead of time.
Nah, I live in Las Vegas. Already know how to drive (got my permit). Just need my license.

Weird thing about the DMV is every examiner is different and every route is different. Some examiners are friendly while others are tough. I always tell people to get comfortable driving ANYWHERE. So if you don't have time to practice in a specific area, you are already used to driving confidently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
802 posts, read 1,561,875 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Took mine in Henderson and failed. Autofail for car honking behind me when making a left turn on a blinking yellow arrow and another autofail because examiner intervened and told me to break when driving through a round-about (another car was entering and did not slow down).
You won't fail simply because someone honked at you. That is beyond your control. More than likely, you failed because you reacted in an unsafe manner. It doesn't matter if the honking was justified or not, it is something you need to learn to handle safely.

The round-about? The examiner doesn't want to be involved in an accident any more than you do. Whether you have the right of way or not, they will (and should) intervene if you're not reacting to a potentially unsafe situation. Defensive driving and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Nah, I live in Las Vegas. Already know how to drive (got my permit). Just need my license.
There's a difference between knowing how to operate a vehicle and knowing how to drive. Based off your previous posts, I'd say you're still learning how to drive. Further, obtaining your license doesn't mean you know how to drive. It just means you passed the test. There's ample evidence of that one can see on a daily basis, not just around here but pretty much everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Weird thing about the DMV is every examiner is different and every route is different. Some examiners are friendly while others are tough. I always tell people to get comfortable driving ANYWHERE. So if you don't have time to practice in a specific area, you are already used to driving confidently.
While becoming familiar with the area you plan to test and even knowing specific routes may be of help, it won't guarantee success. You could drive the exact same route 10 times in a row, but conditions (traffic, pedestrians, etc) will vary every time. The test itself is not hard, but you need to show good judgment, which comes with experience. Keep gaining it in all conditions, especially heavy traffic.

No matter where you test, you can expect 3 left turns, 3 right turns, a traffic light, a stop sign (probably a 4-way), transit a school zone, and parallel parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 AM
 
238 posts, read 218,369 times
Reputation: 347
I personally found the test for the DMV on Sahara easier, Although the instructor was a complete b***; Barely even tapped the brake and she's acting as if i slammed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM
 
106 posts, read 50,500 times
Reputation: 47
Is the parallel parking in Flamingo on a hill? Meaning you have to press the gas harder when reversing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
802 posts, read 1,561,875 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Is the parallel parking in Flamingo on a hill? Meaning you have to press the gas harder when reversing?
No matter where you test, parallel parking will be between the barrels in the DMV lot. You can practice after 5 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM
 
106 posts, read 50,500 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
No matter where you test, parallel parking will be between the barrels in the DMV lot. You can practice after 5 PM.
I know it is between barrels. I've taken the test already (and failed). It's actually not the part of the test that I am worried about. I'm just worried if the parallel parking in Flamingo is on a hill. Parallel parking on a flat surface is easy.....doing it on a hill is a different story depending on how steep the hill is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 AM
 
106 posts, read 50,500 times
Reputation: 47
In case other people are curious about this, the parallel parking is on flat ground but you don't really enter it on a straight path. I know in Sahara, you go forward and drive straight. In Henderson, you turn right in the parking lot then drive straight. In Flamingo, you turn right but you have to keep going right a little bit then go straight. There's not much space to straight your vehicle out so you have to go slow. And from what I saw, the space between the barrels at the front of the car is narrower so you have to watch how far you reverse. I got points deducted back apparently my back wheel touched the curb. Had to straighten the car out which wasn't hard.

But I passed the test. Easy route. Nothing but straight roads and left and right turns. Examiner was good. 25mph most of the time. Went on one long road that was 45mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 06:37 PM
 
4 posts, read 458 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
In case other people are curious about this, the parallel parking is on flat ground but you don't really enter it on a straight path. I know in Sahara, you go forward and drive straight. In Henderson, you turn right in the parking lot then drive straight. In Flamingo, you turn right but you have to keep going right a little bit then go straight. There's not much space to straight your vehicle out so you have to go slow. And from what I saw, the space between the barrels at the front of the car is narrower so you have to watch how far you reverse. I got points deducted back apparently my back wheel touched the curb. Had to straighten the car out which wasn't hard.

But I passed the test. Easy route. Nothing but straight roads and left and right turns. Examiner was good. 25mph most of the time. Went on one long road that was 45mph.
Do you remember what route you went on? Got my test in two days. Definitely been practicing around the DMV a lot though. Also, how long was your test if you remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top