U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 PM

210 posts, read 107,226 times

Advertisements

I received it today. It was close to $4500 for a minor issue. My deductible is high, so I expected to pay out of pocket, but this is close to 4 times what I was expecting. I barely make ends meat. I know I can fight, negotiate, get on payment plans, but I have gone to an ER for worse and it was only around $1500 in other states.

Just absolutely horrific. I am so stressed out tonight over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 12:17 AM

6,285 posts, read 6,668,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
I received it today. It was close to $4500 for a minor issue. My deductible is high, so I expected to pay out of pocket, but this is close to 4 times what I was expecting. I barely make ends meat. I know I can fight, negotiate, get on payment plans, but I have gone to an ER for worse and it was only around $1500 in other states.

First, take a deep breath. Now in a few days call them and tell them exactly what you posted. Negotiate by telling them you have very little money. The hospital in most cases don't expect to get anywhere near that amount. Either settle with a lump sum or payment plans for a lesser amount.

My Mom had the same experience when she received a large bill for a spinal cord stimulator implant. She just happen to mention to me she got a large bill for her portion. I told her to call and negotiate, while she could have paid it in full, she called them and got them to reduce it by 50%.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 AM

6,285 posts, read 6,668,880 times
Quote:
It's been almost a month since I went to the ER for something. I gave them my insurance card, all my information and I still haven't received a medical bill from them. I did receive a hospital survey though from them. So they obviously have my correct address.

Is this normal for the bill to take that long to get to me?

In any other state I've lived, they usually come within weeks.
FYI, don’t think they are sending you the survey because they really care so much how you were treated at the hospital. Most hospitals largest revenue comes from Medicare reimbursements and now patient satisfaction scores is one indicator that can impact reimbursement.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 AM

23,394 posts, read 28,226,906 times
Quote:

Is that the billed charge or the amount allowed by the insurance company? Do not panic until you receive the explanation of benefits from your insurance company.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:27 AM

2,723 posts, read 2,106,711 times
Don't stress. It also takes a long time on the insurance end to get them to pay it. You have to call them about 4-5 times over a period of six months. They give you a case number and you give that to the billing department. You're only responsible for your deductible and whatever percentage you pay on certain procedures. It could be 20% of that. You'll have to verify with your insurance but likely you won't have to pay right away while they deal with their portion of the hospital bill. You should start getting notices about once a month now from the hospital about paying the bill but it can wait until insurance processes it. You'll get a stack of bills until it's finally done and you pay what's leftover. Even your deductible you can make payments on. Hospital bills take a really long time and they can wait.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:30 AM

483 posts, read 120,910 times
Quote:

I was rear ended a couple years ago, went to ER did a CAT scan on my neck, asked me if I needed anything for pain, $12,000.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:57 AM

210 posts, read 107,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Don't stress. It also takes a long time on the insurance end to get them to pay it. You have to call them about 4-5 times over a period of six months. They give you a case number and you give that to the billing department. You're only responsible for your deductible and whatever percentage you pay on certain procedures. It could be 20% of that. You'll have to verify with your insurance but likely you won't have to pay right away while they deal with their portion of the hospital bill. You should start getting notices about once a month now from the hospital about paying the bill but it can wait until insurance processes it. You'll get a stack of bills until it's finally done and you pay what's leftover. Even your deductible you can make payments on. Hospital bills take a really long time and they can wait.
My deductible is $8000 before any coverage. I can't imagine my insurance is going to cover anything. The doctor bill alone was close to $1000 and I saw the doctor for literally 5 minutes. 5 minutes for $1000?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 AM

483 posts, read 120,910 times
Moral of the story is, don't go to an ER. Most insurance companies tell policy holders this repeatedly. The $10,000 ER visits are for democratic voting illegals.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 AM

23,394 posts, read 28,226,906 times
Quote:
My deductible is $8000 before any coverage. I can't imagine my insurance is going to cover anything. The doctor bill alone was close to $1000 and I saw the doctor for literally 5 minutes. 5 minutes for $1000?
Is that the amount charged or the amount allowed by your insurance? The amount allowed by your insurance is usually a fraction of what the charge is. You cannot know what your share of the charge is until after the insurance discount is applied and the insurance pays. Have you received an Explanation of Benefits from your insurance company yet? Do the hospital bills show a payment from the insurance company?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,293,408 times
Whatever you are left with try to negotiate in either a payoff amount or payments. Sometimes, depending on the amount, it can be better for it to go to collections. You definitely can negotiate and pay way less if it does.

Like the other poster said don't go to the e.r. unless you really have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or