U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 02:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 2,266,029 times

Advertisements

I've never used Uber or Lyft but have a friend who is no longer able to drive. I thought Uber or Lyft might be a good option for her to do shopping or keep doctor's appointments when friends are unable to help. She doesn't like to ask for help from friends too often, so I think these ride services might make her feel a little more independent. But I have several questions before I suggest it to her.

- Can she "reserve" Uber or Lyft ahead of time (e.g. the day prior to her appointment) if she has a specific doctor's appointment time just so she knows she will make the appointment?

- Not sure how the payment works. Once she has the Uber app loaded onto her phone, does she need to provide a credit card number when making her first reservation and then that information is saved for future rides?

- Is cash accepted?

- If she ends up with a "favorite" driver, can she request future rides with that person?

Advice from anyone who has had experience with Uber or Lyft in the Henderson (Sun City Anthem) area would be appreciated. My friend is a senior citizen and I'd like to be able to help her by having answers to questions I'm sure she'll have.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Our 55+ community offers free rides to residents within certain geographic areas but many of her appointments are outside that geographic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:39 PM

13,208 posts, read 4,979,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I've never used Uber or Lyft but have a friend who is no longer able to drive. I thought Uber or Lyft might be a good option for her to do shopping or keep doctor's appointments when friends are unable to help. She doesn't like to ask for help from friends too often, so I think these ride services might make her feel a little more independent. But I have several questions before I suggest it to her.

- Can she "reserve" Uber or Lyft ahead of time (e.g. the day prior to her appointment) if she has a specific doctor's appointment time just so she knows she will make the appointment?

- Not sure how the payment works. Once she has the Uber app loaded onto her phone, does she need to provide a credit card number when making her first reservation and then that information is saved for future rides?

- Is cash accepted?

- If she ends up with a "favorite" driver, can she request future rides with that person?

Advice from anyone who has had experience with Uber or Lyft in the Henderson (Sun City Anthem) area would be appreciated. My friend is a senior citizen and I'd like to be able to help her by having answers to questions I'm sure she'll have.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Our 55+ community offers free rides to residents within certain geographic areas but many of her appointments are outside that geographic area.
When you set up Lyft you enter a credit card which is charged for any usage.

When you use the Lyft app you can specify the pick up time up to seven days in advance. You can cancel up to 30 minutes before the ride.

You also use the app to rate the driver and to tip the driver.

I only use Lyft but suspect Uber is the same.

EA on here drove one of these for a while and probably can answer almost anything.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 PM

12,089 posts, read 23,626,255 times
Don’t forget to tip

Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 PM

795 posts, read 1,557,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Yes, you can schedule a ride up to a week ahead of time I believe. However, I've found it's easiest to request a ride when I need it. I never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes.
Quote:
All payments are done via credit card through the app. The credit card info will be stored for future use.
Quote:
- Is cash accepted?
No except for tips, which can be added after the ride through the app as well.
Quote:
That's not possible as far as I know. She would have to make "off the books" arrangements for something like that.
Quote:
Just be careful not to select a large vehicle (more expensive) when a small one will do (or vice versa). It's kind of easy to do if you're not careful. Overall, it's pretty easy and painless after you've done it once or twice.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:23 PM
EA

6,237 posts, read 5,259,479 times
Don't do a scheduled ride. The cancel fee on those is 10 dollars instead of the usual 5.
There are at least 45,000 drivers in town. They are everywhere. You will never have to wait more than 10 minutes.
Avoid the express options because they require you to walk down the street.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM

3,477 posts, read 2,266,029 times
Thanks everyone -- very helpful!

Old 07-06-2019, 12:52 PM

522 posts, read 374,117 times
she should look into using instacart for groceries instead of using uber each way, I've used it a couple of times and it works fairly well.

Its worth using both apps, most drivers drive for both anyway, and if theres a long wait on one she can check the other. There are also various promos that pop up on each app occasionally.

Old Today, 03:39 PM

939 posts, read 1,196,727 times
For a while Lyft was offering discounted or free rides to medical appointments for seniors. I don't believe Uber was. Las Vegas was a trial city, not sure about Henderson.
She will need a smart phone and a credit card. Set up your account on your smart phone and schedule rides as needed. I was unable to drive for all of 2018 and I used Uber all year! Never waited for more than 15 min and all the drivers were great. When he or she realized I has wrist and shoulder injuries, they were very accommodating.
Yes, always tip.
Make sure your cell phone has enough of a charge on it to request a ride home.
I even dropped my cell phone in an Uber once and watched it move from the strip to my neighborhood as the drove was returning it. All I could do was use the Find my Device/Android website. I tipped him extra and Uber charged an extra $15.00 to give to him as well. Very nice guy. Almost chivalrous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or