U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 3,271 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved to Vegas from the PNW. I haven’t needed a doctor so can’t chime in on that. Love it here and I live in an old, non-planned neighborhood in west central Vegas, nothing fancy since I loathe the beige blandness of preplanned communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,411 times
We moved on December 23rd from Bothell (Seattle suburb) to Henderson and we haven't looked back. We moved to Seattle for jobs in 2001 from San Diego so we definitely put in our time in the PNW (17 years). We've been talking about moving to Las Vegas for over 10 years; we just love it here. We moved for all of the reasons you talk about; the cost of living just keeps getting higher and higher and we're in our mid-50's and it's just too expensive to be a viable option for our golden years. Seattle is beautiful and there are many things that we love (and will miss), but honestly, we couldn't be happier with our decision to relocate. Luckily for us, we retained our PNW jobs and work remotely almost 100% of the time. Occasionally we have to return to the mother ship in Seattle, but that's only happened once for each of us in 7 months. We've been in a sort of holding pattern since we've moved because we purchased a new-construction house last August; we are finally closing on 7/26, so that will be a huge milestone for us. We love how close and convenient everything is, the lack of traffic (compared to Seattle), how close we are to the airport, the fantastic restaurant options, unlimited entertainment, low cost of living, and most of all, the wonderful sunshine! After our upcoming move from temporary housing to our permanent location, I look forward to living more of a "normal" existence and hope to find a similar community of friends we can socialize with; so far, we haven't been very social and can't say we've made any friends, but that's not the fault of the local community, but ours for lack of trying. I really can't recommend highly enough a move to this community; we absolutely love it!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,015,437 times
Ibake4u - that sounds awesome! We close just a week later and just scoped out our temporary housing situation while still in Portland. This is our family’s apartment building, I’m a part owner, so I figured may as well stay where I get a break on rent and these people have to be nice I took the worst apartment to be helpful though and, yikes, it’s not great! Hahaha. It’s a two bedroom but I’ve never seen such a small bedroom as the first one. I was nervous it wouldn’t even fit a queen haha but it’s like all bed. The building is 20 stories tall and 70% of the units have been renovated in the last several years... this one hasn’t. And it shows. Ugly flooring, horrible kitchen, just dated as all heck. But I was still stoked because we got two parking spaces and I didn’t think they’d have that available. Makes a huge difference because we need that, my fiancé and I have too many things to do where we each need a car.

We set up the delivery today for the Henderson house, yikes these guys suck!! August 25 to September 1 is my window. I thought the 3 day pickup window was bad! So I’ll be in Vegas half of August now and mostly without my fiancé. July 31 - August 9 and August 25 to September 2. I am going to try to setup delivery of a bed and couch for August 26 so I can at least be staying at the house instead of my aunt’s casita for the second trip. Then dart back home to Portland September 2, get married on the 6th, drive down to Vegas on the 7th and 8th. Craziness.

Maybe ibake4u, we should say hello when we move! We don’t have any friends there either ha ha and it sounds like you’re taking a huge step too. Hoping to meet our neighbors and that we have some cool neighbors around us when we get situated. I have a feeling my house will end up popular for Golden Knights parties / Raiders games in the future. We have an 85” 4K TV for the living room with 7.1 surround sound, mainly for movies, and for other sports events I have a game room on the same floor that’ll have side by side 75” 4K TVs so if two things are on at once, we can watch both. May be useful for Sundays as I’m a 49ers fan but wouldn’t mind following the Raiders when they’re in town.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 PM

JonathanLB - yeah, the whole moving thing sucks. We are very excited to get out of our apartment and into our house and to be reunited with all of our stuff. We used U-Pack in December to move about 1/4 of our stuff for the apartment and we're using them again to move our stuff from Seattle that's been in storage. It was a lot cheaper than using a full moving service and also the cost to drive our stuff ourselves using U-Haul. Good luck on your move!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 PM

84 posts, read 44,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake4u View Post
JonathanLB - yeah, the whole moving thing sucks. We are very excited to get out of our apartment and into our house and to be reunited with all of our stuff. We used U-Pack in December to move about 1/4 of our stuff for the apartment and we're using them again to move our stuff from Seattle that's been in storage. It was a lot cheaper than using a full moving service and also the cost to drive our stuff ourselves using U-Haul. Good luck on your move!

Congratz on your house! How long did it take you to find a house in Henderson? How much are apartments in Henderson btw?

Amazing how much more house one can get in LV area than Seattle.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Homerboy: We actually moved pretty quickly once we made the decision to move. I was pretty convinced that I wanted to purchase new construction and my husband felt quite the opposite. So we found a realtor through our Seattle realtor and spent 4 days in August looking at both resale properties (about 10 resale properties) and at least a dozen new construction developments in both Summerlin and the Henderson area. We knew almost immediately that we had found our new home once we visited the Pulte Blackrock development. It just spoke to us. After obsessing over the models for the next 3 days, we committed to a lot and floorplan, returned home and listed our house for sale in Seattle. Then the market tanked. Unfortunately, we had to reduce our price several times from $975 to an eventual sale price of $830k and it took 89 days. As far as our temporary apartment, we're in a Ovation Management property; they have LOTS of communities all throughout the valley; we're in one of their older properties in Seven Hills (Chateau Calais); it wasn't our first choice, but the original Henderson community did not have any availability for what we needed when we moved in December. Although the apartment itself is a bit worn around the edges, the community is very quiet and we love that we have a 2-car attached garage. It's been great for extra storage. We have a 3-bedroom which was much larger than we needed, but again, it was about availability. We're paying $1760 a month. I'm unsure what their 1 or 2 bedroom apartments are renting for, but you should check out their communities.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Yeah I was open minded to either an existing property or new but it had to be modern style and the reality is there aren’t many modern homes in Vegas that weren’t built in the last few years so that left a small inventory. That’s what steered us to new construction because both my fiancé and I were done with contemporary even and felt if we’re paying a good deal of money and want to stay in the house for a long time, it really should be what we want.

We also bought a house before listing ours for sale, but I listed very aggressively and got less for the house than I wanted also. I had in mind $600K but would have been happy with $580K. Instead I got $550K, which sucked. But oh well win when you buy and all of that. I miss my stuff already and it’s not even gone yet - it’s just in boxes and leaves tomorrow. We just have the 7 weeks in the apartment though and I’m gone for half that time so it’s not bad. Moving multiple times as I’m sure you feel the same is a serious pain! It’s a lot of hard work and coordination. I don’t feel like our moving company has decreased the stress that much either. Sometimes it feels more stressful because their communication hasn’t been the best. But I am not driving a truck either, that was out, and there’s way too much stuff for any U-Haul. I know from our last move, it was a 1,700 square foot place and we are pretty minimalist but still it didn’t fit into the local movers’ largest truck, 22’ I think. These guys send a 56’ semi truck and that’ll get it done.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,162,354 times
I'm seriously sick and tired of moving. Ready to settle down somewhere but we still have one year left of training now to repeat if he wants to finish it. Otherwise, it's a waste of two years. I'm thinking of staying in Las Vegas while he goes elsewhere for that year. I just don't want to do it anymore. I don't care if we're apart for it. We were apart for the first three years of our marriage due to immigration so I've btdt.

We're sitting around here too with boxes stacking up. Rented the moving truck yesterday for August 30th. Reconfirmed with the landlord we're moving out on the 31st. Last time I drove the moving truck and he drove the car in front of me. When we got to the Northern Nevada portion of the drive it was the dead of the night and there were thousands of wild rabbits on the roads. He hit one or two and I got a few as well. It couldn't be avoided as they were everywhere.

We were going to drive straight through to Oregon but we stopped and slept on the side of the road for a few hours. More like he slept and I waited. I don't sleep well while traveling. I was up for over 24 hrs. Took us 15 hours to drive there and we arrived in Portland during 5 o'clock traffic on a Friday. I'm so dreading making this trip again back there but this time my Mom is riding with us and we just bought a brand new car so we might have two cars to move if we don't sell the BMW before we leave. I said we'll have to rent a hotel room for the night with our Mom with us. We plan to arrive on the 1st or 2nd of September. The truck has to be returned on the 4th. It's easier if we hire a couple of movers to load and unload with us. Then it goes faster.

House hunting is first week of August. Again Mom is going with me like the first trip moving there. I think I already know what houses I want to rent. Been looking online since May doing research and have the list paired down. Just need to see the area really since I don't recall that far north from the last time we lived there. I have this internal resistance to the move going on like a block. I wish moving wasn't so stressful. I'm trying to see on the positive side of it but it's a struggle. Everyday I feel the stress from the list of tasks that need to be done.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 PM

I hear you!! It is an incredible amount of stress also because I felt like I kept reminding myself lately, there cannot be any mistakes, I have to bat 1.000 here. No room for error. If everything doesn’t get done properly it can have a cascade effect that messes with something else. I have spent the better part of two days in a row waiting for people, on the phone, or in meetings. I think Monday took me 3 straight hours on the phone after I signed closing documents at 1. It was unreal, just call after call related to moving stuff. But it has gradually all happened and so far nothing has been forgotten knock on wood.

It’ll be an incredible sigh of relief tomorrow when I’m done with the movers and this Phase 1 part is over. I’ve already set up most of my Phase 2 details so it’s getting close - I have an estimate in place for the pool in Vegas with the design rendering, a handyman is helping with a lot of changes even though it’s a new house and we have initial estimates and a meet date, painting company has dates and sample numbers for what we want, solar company gave estimates and I have a meet date, blinds / drapes meeting arranged, cable / Internet install date done, washer / dryer delivery scheduled. So that leaves some things like shopping for a few beds, a couch, and other furniture but the main contractor stuff is taken care of and I got a quote for garbage / recycling.

PS: What’s up with the amazing garbage / recycling rates? Am I missing something? Republic quoted me $47 per quarter for a 95 gallon trash bin? Whaaaaat?! I cannot believe how much I’ve been getting screwed - we pay $50.40 per MONTH in Beaverton for a 35 gallon, tiny little trash bin. Everything in Vegas so far that I’ve priced is way cheaper than I had budgeted on my spreadsheet.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,162,354 times
Shh! Don't tell them when their prices are low. Last time I posted about my amazement in that they didn't charge for parking then they all came out with plans to charge for parking. Still kicking myself for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or