U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 AM

5,779 posts, read 6,015,437 times

Advertisements

Haha seriously! Is Republic a non-profit or something?! Lol jk. But I heard anger that Las Vegas didn’t open the bidding for other companies or something like that, what’s to bid?! Nobody is beating those rates. $15/month for garbage is ridiculously cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:54 AM

12,092 posts, read 23,638,775 times
You think that’s low? I pay $21 per month for 5 45gal bins.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM

84 posts, read 44,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I hear you!! It is an incredible amount of stress also because I felt like I kept reminding myself lately, there cannot be any mistakes, I have to bat 1.000 here. No room for error. If everything doesnít get done properly it can have a cascade effect that messes with something else. I have spent the better part of two days in a row waiting for people, on the phone, or in meetings. I think Monday took me 3 straight hours on the phone after I signed closing documents at 1. It was unreal, just call after call related to moving stuff. But it has gradually all happened and so far nothing has been forgotten knock on wood.

Itíll be an incredible sigh of relief tomorrow when Iím done with the movers and this Phase 1 part is over. Iíve already set up most of my Phase 2 details so itís getting close - I have an estimate in place for the pool in Vegas with the design rendering, a handyman is helping with a lot of changes even though itís a new house and we have initial estimates and a meet date, painting company has dates and sample numbers for what we want, solar company gave estimates and I have a meet date, blinds / drapes meeting arranged, cable / Internet install date done, washer / dryer delivery scheduled. So that leaves some things like shopping for a few beds, a couch, and other furniture but the main contractor stuff is taken care of and I got a quote for garbage / recycling.

PS: Whatís up with the amazing garbage / recycling rates? Am I missing something? Republic quoted me $47 per quarter for a 95 gallon trash bin? Whaaaaat?! I cannot believe how much Iíve been getting screwed - we pay $50.40 per MONTH in Beaverton for a 35 gallon, tiny little trash bin. Everything in Vegas so far that Iíve priced is way cheaper than I had budgeted on my spreadsheet.

Similar up here in Bellevue; $47/month for a very tiny trash bin that barely holds a week's worth of trash, though this includes a large bin of recycle and yard waste for the infinite weeds/tree branches/shrubs/bushes.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
Similar up here in Bellevue; $47/month for a very tiny trash bin that barely holds a week's worth of trash, though this includes a large bin of recycle and yard waste for the infinite weeds/tree branches/shrubs/bushes.
Yeah I never once used the yard debris bin haha it sat in the garage for 3+ years. HOA managed the front yard and I didnít have much of a backyard, like 12 feet until the fence maybe, I put a hot tub there and it became weed central until I got the house ready to sell but the landscapers hauled away the weeds. The recycling bin was always large enough for everything which was great, but I saw everyone in my neighborhood had the same size of trash pretty much and I have no idea how. We filled it most of the time and itís just the 2 of us. I donít know how any family could possibly make that size work. I canít wait to have a larger trash, thatís amazing.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 44,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I'm seriously sick and tired of moving. Ready to settle down somewhere but we still have one year left of training now to repeat if he wants to finish it. Otherwise, it's a waste of two years. I'm thinking of staying in Las Vegas while he goes elsewhere for that year. I just don't want to do it anymore. I don't care if we're apart for it. We were apart for the first three years of our marriage due to immigration so I've btdt.

We're sitting around here too with boxes stacking up. Rented the moving truck yesterday for August 30th. Reconfirmed with the landlord we're moving out on the 31st. Last time I drove the moving truck and he drove the car in front of me. When we got to the Northern Nevada portion of the drive it was the dead of the night and there were thousands of wild rabbits on the roads. He hit one or two and I got a few as well. It couldn't be avoided as they were everywhere.

We were going to drive straight through to Oregon but we stopped and slept on the side of the road for a few hours. More like he slept and I waited. I don't sleep well while traveling. I was up for over 24 hrs. Took us 15 hours to drive there and we arrived in Portland during 5 o'clock traffic on a Friday. I'm so dreading making this trip again back there but this time my Mom is riding with us and we just bought a brand new car so we might have two cars to move if we don't sell the BMW before we leave. I said we'll have to rent a hotel room for the night with our Mom with us. We plan to arrive on the 1st or 2nd of September. The truck has to be returned on the 4th. It's easier if we hire a couple of movers to load and unload with us. Then it goes faster.

House hunting is first week of August. Again Mom is going with me like the first trip moving there. I think I already know what houses I want to rent. Been looking online since May doing research and have the list paired down. Just need to see the area really since I don't recall that far north from the last time we lived there. I have this internal resistance to the move going on like a block. I wish moving wasn't so stressful. I'm trying to see on the positive side of it but it's a struggle. Everyday I feel the stress from the list of tasks that need to be done.

Hang in there, moving and the mere thought of moving can be stressful.

My wife and I have been going back and forth with moving to LV. We're in our early 40s, and want to find a place where we can get more sun and get away from traffic, and also don't want to move again if necessary.

Keep us updated!

We still have a little more research to do on the LV housing area and economy, and am also planning on another trip to visit Summerlin and Henderson. Complicates things a bit when our kid is still in school and when I have a business here.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:04 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,284,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Haha seriously! Is Republic a non-profit or something?! Lol jk. But I heard anger that Las Vegas didn’t open the bidding for other companies or something like that, what’s to bid?! Nobody is beating those rates. $15/month for garbage is ridiculously cheap.

It was me. I wasn't railing about the rates per se, but their service has been sub par in some instances. This may not be important to you, but the other company in the bidding was a NEVADA company. Republic Services is a PHOENIX company. We should be about job creation here and supporting local companies when appropriate. We need to continue to diversify our economy as much as possible. At least give them a chance.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,162,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
Hang in there, moving and the mere thought of moving can be stressful.

My wife and I have been going back and forth with moving to LV. We're in our early 40s, and want to find a place where we can get more sun and get away from traffic, and also don't want to move again if necessary.

Keep us updated!

We still have a little more research to do on the LV housing area and economy, and am also planning on another trip to visit Summerlin and Henderson. Complicates things a bit when our kid is still in school and when I have a business here.
Thx. We're same age, both recently turned 40. No kids. Never get tired of blue sky there and traffic is way less. They built good infrastructure in LV.

Hope you get it figured out and let us know what happens. Met several couples on here that relocated over the years from various places. Never heard anyone complain about their move yet so it must be good to them.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
It was me. I wasn't railing about the rates per se, but their service has been sub par in some instances. This may not be important to you, but the other company in the bidding was a NEVADA company. Republic Services is a PHOENIX company. We should be about job creation here and supporting local companies when appropriate. We need to continue to diversify our economy as much as possible. At least give them a chance.
Iím with you on that, and did read a bit more about it. Iím all Nevada, all of the time, so I agree with your push because Iíd always support a local company over an out of state one. Iím glad the rates are great, though, at least.

Old Today, 03:15 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,162,354 times
Just spent the last week house hunting and we settled on a nice place in Aliante. Now to pack up the place here in Portland and move September 1st. Sigh. Three weeks to go. I hate moving. Not sure which route we'll take this time.

I may head over to Boise first and pick up a load from my Mom's storage and then head down from there. She says she'll be staying with us for one week each month while she goes RVing with her boyfriend across the country the rest of the time. She gets the forth bedroom furthest from the Master. We have a great kitchen. A huge master bedroom and bathroom and a huge office with double doors and a three car garage.

The house we have this time is nearly 2,000 sq ft. We're coming from an 864 sq ft town home near downtown Portland which cost only $130 less than the house in Las Vegas. The house is newer and much nicer than where we are currently. Really looking forward to a climate controlled environment again and having room to spread out.

It does feel far from the Strip but I was impressed how nice North Las Vegas is. After driving all over it this last week seeing houses I can see it's very nice up there and I don't have anything to worry about. It's much nicer than where I lived near North Summerlin even a few years ago. It will be neat to live in another part of town.

Old Today, 03:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,284,324 times
Congratulations, that's great to hear! Welcome back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or