U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM
 
641 posts, read 171,371 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
Then you should call Cox.

It is impossible for cellular service service to be more reliable than a wired coax service. I doubt your speeds are better, either since you are not comparing 1:1.
Why should I call cox? I'm paying for 30Mb/s and that's what I'm getting on an intermittent basis. TV is also out on a daily basis and their new TV boxes are the cheapest pieces of crap they could find. But, hey, if enjoy cox, what can I say.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
173 posts, read 70,647 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
You have the exact mentality that has made Amazon the company it is. You should get along well with the guy on this site that makes toner trays for Xerox.
This coming from a guy that has no idea about tech.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 AM
 
641 posts, read 171,371 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
This coming from a guy that has no idea about tech.
L O L. Yes, it takes quite a tech genius to see that buried lines are the wave of the future. Wow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
354 posts, read 254,519 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Is it just me, or is AT&T wireless on fire. Went from about 8Mbps to 25Mb down and 16.7 up.

Speed doesn't matter if your wireless connection is pathetic like mine was with Cox. We had 250-300 in download speeds, but it didn't matter because the wireless only worked within 5 feet of the router, negating the whole "PANORAMIC WHOLE HOME WIRELESS" nonsense they claimed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
109 posts, read 185,264 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Speed doesn't matter if your wireless connection is pathetic like mine was with Cox. We had 250-300 in download speeds, but it didn't matter because the wireless only worked within 5 feet of the router, negating the whole "PANORAMIC WHOLE HOME WIRELESS" nonsense they claimed.
Pulled my hair out for months trying to get the advertised speeds with the panoramic router. Multiple Cox employees had no clue until one guy told me I had to use an ethernet cable to guarantee those speeds. Plugged in a cable and he was right, but Cox should not be implying high speeds without a cable. My desktop is wired, but my laptop will never see those speeds as it lacks an ethernet port.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 PM
 
641 posts, read 171,371 times
Reputation: 259
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if cox uses the cheapest 2.4GHz wifi extenders they can find.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
173 posts, read 70,647 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
L O L. Yes, it takes quite a tech genius to see that buried lines are the wave of the future. Wow.
The point, is that most, if not all of these towers traffic is back hauled over wired infrastructure and that is not changing any time soon.

Your wireless device sends it to the tower which then routes it over a wired network for speed and reliability reasons. Which, drum roll, is that buried infrastructure you deem foolish. Very rarely do providers use point-to-point wireless unless it is rural and they don't have physical plant available or they have amazing line of sight between the links.

Even with 5G, they will still be routing over wired infrastructure, especially since they eventually expect trillions of devices when the IoT manifests and matures. It would be absolutely moronic to have the wireless handle the end point AND routing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 PM
 
641 posts, read 171,371 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
The point, is that most, if not all of these towers traffic is back hauled over wired infrastructure and that is not changing any time soon.

Your wireless device sends it to the tower which then routes it over a wired network for speed and reliability reasons. Which, drum roll, is that buried infrastructure you deem foolish. Very rarely do providers use point-to-point wireless unless it is rural and they don't have physical plant available or they have amazing line of sight between the links.

Even with 5G, they will still be routing over wired infrastructure, especially since they eventually expect trillions of devices when the IoT manifests and matures. It would be absolutely moronic to have the wireless handle the end point AND routing.
Right, I see Amazon digging ditches right now. Did you feed the horses and get water from the crick today?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
13,350 posts, read 5,106,731 times
Reputation: 5930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Right, I see Amazon digging ditches right now. Did you feed the horses and get water from the crick today?
Why the silly nonsense? The major highways of the internet are buried fibre or fibre bundles on high tension electric lines. no indiction or likelihood that it will change anytime soon.

5G enters the discussion only on final mile stuff. And there the competition is between the 100 Mb buried cable and 5G. And the buried cable can likely be pushed by a fact of 4 or more.

The more interesting thing is that 5G can provide acceptable competition to the cox buried cable. Cox hs no viable competition now. So an alternative may cut the price in half.

The effective shut down of fibre to the home says the cable guys do not believe they can compete with wireless. And the outcome is that they join the wireless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 08:08 PM
 
641 posts, read 171,371 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Why the silly nonsense? The major highways of the internet are buried fibre or fibre bundles on high tension electric lines. no indiction or likelihood that it will change anytime soon.

5G enters the discussion only on final mile stuff. And there the competition is between the 100 Mb buried cable and 5G. And the buried cable can likely be pushed by a fact of 4 or more.

The more interesting thing is that 5G can provide acceptable competition to the cox buried cable. Cox hs no viable competition now. So an alternative may cut the price in half.

The effective shut down of fibre to the home says the cable guys do not believe they can compete with wireless. And the outcome is that they join the wireless.
Yes, buried cables, is the future of wireless. Did you buy some toner for your new machine?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top