U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:03 AM

126 posts, read 29,922 times

Advertisements

We all need to do our part to combat Terrorists...... Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM

87 posts, read 46,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I googled it and Safeway will cash a Western Union money order. Call them first because not all of them do but some will.

Also I'd suggest open a credit union account. No fees with them. We have USAA, Chase, Bank of America and two credit union bank accounts to move money around for various things.

Hard part is figuring out which store will cash it.

But anyways, I realized that I actually have a Navy Federal Credit Union account and was able to deposit the money orders.

I really wish it would be easier to cash money orders of any type in one place.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:26 PM

13,260 posts, read 4,990,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Hard part is figuring out which store will cash it.

But anyways, I realized that I actually have a Navy Federal Credit Union account and was able to deposit the money orders.

I really wish it would be easier to cash money orders of any type in one place.
The problem is all such forms of value have become suspect. It is no longer possible to use a certified check or a bank check without waiting for it to clear. Much of the world, particularly the RE industry has gone to direct transfers. And even that is subject to some clever crooks. We now routinely phone our escrow officer to verify that we have good instructions for wiring in money.

We may eventually get to a trustworthy system. Some of the work on the blockchain technology may make it possible to safely transfer funds quickly. But we need to be careful there that some clever person does not dream up a way to con it.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 AM

135 posts, read 56,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We may eventually get to a trustworthy system. Some of the work on the blockchain technology may make it possible to safely transfer funds quickly. But we need to be careful there that some clever person does not dream up a way to con it.
This is actually one of the reasons as to why they're investing in blockchain. Believe Moneygram is working with Ripple. Western Union said Ripple was too expensive in their trials but wants to use crypto.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:53 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,304,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I googled it and Safeway will cash a Western Union money order. Call them first because not all of them do but some will.
We no longer have Safeway in Las Vegas. The local stores converted to Vons years ago. Whether Vons will do it, I have no idea.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
We no longer have Safeway in Las Vegas. The local stores converted to Vons years ago. Whether Vons will do it, I have no idea.
I saw a few press releases saying Albertsons bought Safeway and if you google Safeway, you will see Albertsons locations.

I went to Vons. They said they could not cash money orders or do bank transfers. But that was just one branch. Not sure about other branches.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

287 posts, read 435,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Went to Smith's. They didn't deny me but their system did. Gotta call the number they gave me.

Rapid Cash denied me. Said they only cash money orders that are bought from their store. You have to be specific when you say "other check cashing places".

Read my original post. The transaction fee to deposit the cash to my bank account would have been a lot. Thought I could get a money order, take a picture of it, then deposit it into my bank using their mobile app.

Indeed....
The bank that charges you transaction fee to deposit cash is stupid. I find this hard to believe. I know banks rip you off left and right but talk about a bank heist.

Western Union will take your cash but not give you cash back is even more stupid.

Next time ask me and I'll get you a money order that will also be useless as your WU MO. I won't even charge you what they charge you for printing that MO. I get my MO on the cheap from my friends in Nigeria. You know he's a prince there but he can't take money out of his country so he sends me his "money" all the time.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
The bank that charges you transaction fee to deposit cash is stupid. I find this hard to believe. I know banks rip you off left and right but talk about a bank heist.

Western Union will take your cash but not give you cash back is even more stupid.

Next time ask me and I'll get you a money order that will also be useless as your WU MO. I won't even charge you what they charge you for printing that MO. I get my MO on the cheap from my friends in Nigeria. You know he's a prince there but he can't take money out of his country so he sends me his "money" all the time.
That was random.

It is Western Union that charges the transaction fee, not the bank.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 6,516,216 times
This is also a good reason not to use a virtual bank. Any issues and it can be a pain. Once my account well debit card was compromised so the account was locked. Of course is was on a weekend so I had no access to cash.

Next on Monday they said they would send me a card and then a pin a few days later so in effect I went about 10 days without access to my funds. No I didn't have any checks.

Switched to a credit union. It happened again so I went to the branch and they gave me a new card on the spot and updated my funds.

God help you if your bank isn't local and there are issues. Good luck.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

11 posts, read 1,256 times
I've never done it personally, but I think most CVS/Walgreen's locations can deal with Western Union. That said, their systems are notoriously unreliable -- twice in the last week I've heard a cashier having to explain to someone that their connection was down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or