U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,453,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You misunderstand the CA homeless thing. If they accommodate the 60,000 in two years they will have another 60,000 if not 80,000 in two more years. .If you are going to be homeless CA beats the heck out of virtually anywhere.

The homeless problem has to be solved by the USA not CA.

And we have strong ties to CA and are in pretty much constant contact. Still family ties to NYC but not nearly as tight. We even get certain medical care in LA.
Many of the homeless that are in California now were individuals and families that have been priced out by increasing rents. I'm not even sure what you're advocating. Are you saying that Los Angles County shouldn't densify and urbanize it's downtown areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 39 times
Homeless are people too. They really really want to work. They just need a little guidance.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

10,954 posts, read 9,362,479 times
I look at it much more simply. Prices going up in LA push prices up in LV, since LV gets a good part off LA''s overflow.

Quote:
There is some of that but not in the nicer suburbs. Our SILs street in Santa Monica is getting rebuilt but still with SFRs. The difference is that they are doubling and tripling in size but still single family. It is mostly individuals taken advantage of the lot size. Her place is a very large lot that could easily hold a 3500 SF two story but has only a 1500 SF Craftsman Cottage.

Our old neighborhood in OC is basically untouched. They were a set of large two stories on good sized lots. They have gone from $500K 25 years ago to $1.3 million today. But they are still upper middle family homes. And that is pretty well true for the whole area.

Similarly the beaches have gotten rebuilds but nothing which would really increase the density.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

13,021 posts, read 4,912,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I look at it much more simply. Prices going up in LA push prices up in LV, since LV gets a good part off LA''s overflow.
Yes except that prices will likely go up some more in LV even if LA goes stabile. It is the people with large sums from LA housing who drive LV prices up. Take years before they go away.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

163 posts, read 78,034 times
Quote:
It is the people with large sums from LA housing who drive LV prices up. Take years before they go away.
People with large sums from LA moving to Vegas? Oh but haven't you heard? Only thugs, welfare queens and ghetto trash move to LV from California. The people with money are staying put in California to enjoy the fabulous weather, refined sophistication and puritanical moral values that Vegas lacks. Get with the program!

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

643 posts, read 499,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
People with large sums from LA moving to Vegas? Oh but haven't you heard? Only thugs, welfare queens and ghetto trash move to LV from California. The people with money are staying put in California to enjoy the fabulous weather, refined sophistication and puritanical moral values that Vegas lacks. Get with the program!

The majority of the times it is. There simply is nowhere in Las Vegas that can compete with southern coastal areas in California. If money is no object, it does not make sense to move here from there. I like Las Vegas and it is a good place to live, but it is not Oceanside. If I were to win 500 million dollars in the powerball, I would be heading to California. If I were to make $100,000 a year, I would stay here as my dollars would buy much more here with that amount of money.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

For a high earnner, getting out of Cali, with its high taxes, can save a huge amount of money. This is especially true if the source of the income is portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
The majority of the times it is. There simply is nowhere in Las Vegas that can compete with southern coastal areas in California. If money is no object, it does not make sense to move here from there. I like Las Vegas and it is a good place to live, but it is not Oceanside. If I were to win 500 million dollars in the powerball, I would be heading to California. If I were to make $100,000 a year, I would stay here as my dollars would buy much more here with that amount of money.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

40 posts, read 11,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious Betty View Post
Homeless are people too. They really really want to work. They just need a little guidance.
How, exactly, did you come to this conclusion?

Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM

It depends how you define homeless. There are functional people who get drop kicked by life (get laid off, have health issues, etc.) but can think and act clearly and rationally. They may become homeless for a time, but figure it out and get back on track. They would fit your description.

But there are a large chunk of the homeless population who are largely unrecoverable. The drug and/or alcohol addicted and/or mentally ill. They largely exist to feed their addictions and/or deal with their demons. I've never seen drug treatment as having any level of reliability to it. And I don't see treatment for serious mental heath issues as getting those people to any level of productive functionality. They're always, one way or another, going to be a drag on society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious Betty View Post

Old Today, 12:28 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,453,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It depends how you define homeless. There are functional people who get drop kicked by life (get laid off, have health issues, etc.) but can think and act clearly and rationally. They may become homeless for a time, but figure it out and get back on track. They would fit your description.

But there are a large chunk of the homeless population who are largely unrecoverable. The drug and/or alcohol addicted and/or mentally ill. They largely exist to feed their addictions and/or deal with their demons. I've never seen drug treatment as having any level of reliability to it. And I don't see treatment for serious mental heath issues as getting those people to any level of productive functionality. They're always, one way or another, going to be a drag on society.
I see this trope given all the time.

OK. People may be addicted. WHAT NEXT? Are you willing to allow things to remain the way they are? Let them live in tents or worse in 110+ degree weather?

This is the same boomer mentality I've heard for a long time. If you're saying "f*** 'em, not my problem". THEN SAY IT. Don't hide behind vagueries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas