U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,316,862 times

Advertisements

I've never seen a scorpion. Spotted 1 snake when I was a kid horseback riding in the desert.

The house we moved into this year-we have so.many.bugs. I put out a bug zapper and hung a stinky fly trap in a tree. I don't like to use bug sprays, but I gave up and ordered some for my husband to spray outside.

We see a lot of lizards, hummingbirds, bunnies, a rat. Surprised we haven't seen any coyotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:20 PM

25,260 posts, read 24,147,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I've never seen a scorpion. Spotted 1 snake when I was a kid horseback riding in the desert.
The house we moved into this year-we have so.many.bugs. I put out a bug zapper and hung a stinky fly trap in a tree. I don't like to use bug sprays, but I gave up and ordered some for my husband to spray outside.

We see a lot of lizards, hummingbirds, bunnies, a rat. Surprised we haven't seen any coyotes.
That's too bad. A coyote might eat the rat.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 5,381 times
Thank you all! This was very helpful

Old 07-26-2019, 07:00 AM

2,205 posts, read 1,600,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Excerpt from https://thiswayup.org.au/how-do-you-feel/scared/

The only proven effective treatment of specific phobias is cognitive behaviour therapy and, specifically, repeated confrontation with the feared object in a process known as exposure therapy.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 AM

923 posts, read 678,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Excerpt from https://thiswayup.org.au/how-do-you-feel/scared/

The only proven effective treatment of specific phobias is cognitive behaviour therapy and, specifically, repeated confrontation with the feared object in a process known as exposure therapy.
Have you done so to confront your own phobias?

Old 07-27-2019, 03:56 PM

2,205 posts, read 1,600,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Have you done so to confront your own phobias?
Yes. I have a fear of stupid people, so I try to interact with them as much as possible on internet forums. It's not easy, but I think I'm making lots of progress.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:05 AM

115 posts, read 105,213 times
Lived in Mts. Edge. Saw one scorpion on the street and never saw a snake. Had a handful of black widows on the outside of the house, though.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 34,402 times
I’ve never seen any snakes in city limits anywhere rural, you don’t need to go far outside the city to find them. Seen plenty of scorpions, got stung by a bark scorpion I think it was a few years ago in my bathroom. We did a 2 day hiking, exploring trip in the Bullfrog Mountains behind Beatty. I think it got into my gear and I brought it home.

Seen many coyotes all over town.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 888,630 times
In the Southern Highlands Nextdoor Forum, newcomers often post "HEY, I saw a COYOTE!" We have all seen them. They are here every day.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM

13,265 posts, read 4,996,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
In the Southern Highlands Nextdoor Forum, newcomers often post "HEY, I saw a COYOTE!" We have all seen them. They are here every day.
Around here the general view is the coyotes know better than to come over the walls. They can of course.
A 6 or 7 foot wall is not going to stop one...but they have discovered that the things that live on the other side of the wall may well eat a coyote.

And actually talking about real casualties we have had one Chihuahua killed and a harmless old mutt maimed by a neighborhood pit bull. The pit is gone now but if he got excited he could and would get over the wall.

And some years ago we had a neighbor with a pair of cheetahs. They claimed they were some hybrid kitty but the male was 55 lbs with a 6 inch mouth. He escaped on one occasion and we had the neighborhood on lockdown for a couple of days. The hunt for him was interesting. He would actually dare them to catch him and used the walls for defense. They get near over the wall he would go...He hid out in daylight so this was all going on in the middle of the night. Smart animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas