Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzja View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this dilemma. I will be working primarily in Summerlin. The neighborhood there looked great, I'd definitely live there if I had a family. After reading all the replies, I'm leaning towards high-rise, seems like if it turns out I don't like it, I can move on to a house, would be harder the other way around. The HOA fees are a bummer though.

Coming from a major Coastal city, I thought the housing in Vegas is super cheap, but after looking into it a bit, seems like right now might not be the best time to buy.. Not sure but I'll do more research. The high-rises seems to be in the 300k-400k range for a 2 bedroom, which doesn't seem too crazy.
Things are pretty flat at the moment so renting is not as bad an idea as it was a year or two ago.

Note that all the major buildings like Veer are all tourist and in general strip bars as well. You might consider the Ogden which is downtown but has a strong community in the building. Reminded me of some of the hippie compounds 50 years ago.
You could also look at Panorama and the Martin. A visiting RN who took care of me for a month lived there with her military contractor significant other. Their only complaint was a large number of poker players and ladies who had odd employment. A very strip oriented crew. Other than that they enjoyed the building and found it convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:54 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Their only complaint was a large number of poker players and ladies who had odd employment.
These are the only people I know that live in the strip high rises.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
These are the only people I know that live in the strip high rises.
My favorite of that sort is the Meridien off Flamingo. More gorgeous female bodies around that pool then any where else I have come across.

And my wife used to like a home goods store in the mall at Rainbow and Cheyenne. Had a gym that would get 15 or 20 females of the 9 or 10 level every hour. That area was apparently appropriate financially for the ladies working in the joints or shows who had to stay in shape.

I also used to ride SW back to or from LA on Fridays and Sundays when the LA ladies would come and go. At some eras they would fill more than half the plane. Fun ride.

And one thing Las Vegas has is an abundance of beautiful women/

Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
I have lawyer and doctor friends living in Juhl, Queens Ridge, Turnberry Tower, and another high rise near Chinatown that I don't recall the name of. The one near Chinatown sounded really fun though for the Strip lifestyle with access to Chinatown, but it might be pricey as they said they sold their place for over a million during the downturn and it was their first property they landed in when they first lived here.

Boca Raton is nice too. Is it considered a mid-rise? We looked at that one but I'm not sure about the commute to Summerlin. Says on google maps it's around 25 min so maybe. It's a little further out but nice area.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

And one thing Las Vegas has is an abundance of beautiful women/
And men! Just sayin.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:06 PM

111 posts, read 73,057 times
One thing I'll add is that while many of the high-rises aren't convenient to grocery stores, you can also readily get Instacart or a similar service to deliver, and due to there being a doorman, you don't even have to be at home for it. You do pay something of a premium in the delivery fee and tip, but it's highly convenient.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I have lawyer and doctor friends living in Juhl, Queens Ridge, Turnberry Tower, and another high rise near Chinatown that I don't recall the name of. The one near Chinatown sounded really fun though for the Strip lifestyle with access to Chinatown, but it might be pricey as they said they sold their place for over a million during the downturn and it was their first property they landed in when they first lived here.

Boca Raton is nice too. Is it considered a mid-rise? We looked at that one but I'm not sure about the commute to Summerlin. Says on google maps it's around 25 min so maybe. It's a little further out but nice area.
I’ll never forget “the one that got away” when I saw that penthouse unit at Boca Raton, 3 bedrooms, 3 parking spaces, about 3,000 square feet, $199,000 cash only during the recession. Unbelievable! It was $1 million previously and even that’s a good deal, but wow I wish I had the $199K liquid at that point. Grrr.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:15 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Several of the high rises seem built as weekend retreats rather than true residences. By this, I mean they don't have enough cabinet space in the kitchens ("hey, for a 2 day visit, who's going to cook?") or the bathrooms ("what - you want more than a toothbrush?"), let alone, say, luggage ("just stick it in the bathtub"), or sufficient closet space for clothing or space for bedroom furniture and the like -- you know, all your belongings that come with you when you actually live someplace rather than just visit for the weekend.

So, when you look at actual high rise units, think about actually, you know, living in a specific unit given its floor plan, storage, orientation (never buy anything with floor-to-ceiling glass that faces west), etc.

Our daughter lives in Panorama and enjoys it.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM

34 posts, read 37,915 times
Martin has decent sized units, smallest being 1 BR 1035 square feet, 2 BR being 1111 square feet. That should be enough.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:28 PM

111 posts, read 73,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Several of the high rises seem built as weekend retreats rather than true residences. By this, I mean they don't have enough cabinet space in the kitchens ("hey, for a 2 day visit, who's going to cook?") or the bathrooms ("what - you want more than a toothbrush?"), let alone, say, luggage ("just stick it in the bathtub"), or sufficient closet space for clothing or space for bedroom furniture and the like -- you know, all your belongings that come with you when you actually live someplace rather than just visit for the weekend.

So, when you look at actual high rise units, think about actually, you know, living in a specific unit given its floor plan, storage, orientation (never buy anything with floor-to-ceiling glass that faces west), etc.

Our daughter lives in Panorama and enjoys it.
I think it just depends on what you're used to. The first paragraph describes pretty much every apartment in Manhattan, after all!

On the point about communities, it's just highly variable. There's a pretty decent community in my high-rise, since there are relatively few full-time residents compared to the total number of units (I agree that there are a lot of weekenders). Especially on football Sundays or weekend afternoons, there are always a few people who are always up at the pool deck or in the lounge, and we've all gotten to know each other.

It's also important to recognize that it's not going to be as quiet as living out in the country. I have a neighbor who makes it a point to come knock on my door and yell at me the one time a month I let my door slam. Usually I'm really careful about it, but sometimes I'll be carrying something and let it slip. I try to be as respectful of my neighbors as possible, but if you're sharing walls with people, a little noise is going to happen. Personally, I prefer that to the constant sirens, cars, and potholes of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas