U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 6 15.38%
Upper Middle Class 17 43.59%
Lower Middle Class 6 15.38%
Working Class 3 7.69%
Poor - Poverty Level 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

2,337 posts, read 594,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Elite means the top .01% that makes $9.5 million a year+.
I'm not familiar with that definition. Who created it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

583 posts, read 143,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I don't listen to NPR; it is more efficient just to go the the DNC Website https://democrats.org/ to read their press releases.
Yes sir.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,470,801 times
I'd say anyone making over 250k/year would be "elite" or ~5% of the USA population.

https://dqydj.com/household-income-p...le-calculator/

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

1,385 posts, read 884,393 times
Middle class, elite, poverty: all are made-up terms that can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Middle class, elite, poverty: all are made-up terms that can mean whatever you want them to mean.
You mean like the poster here who says her friend can't exist on $150k/yr in San Jose area?

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Unless we can get Medicare for All (Universal Healthcare) in the next election.
Economic literacy has never been a defining characteristic of the Progressive Left, but the call for "Medicare for All" or "Universal Healthcare" or "Single Payer" (read: Someone Else Payer) is particularly dispositive.

Instead of debating how to expand Medicare coverage, politicians should focus on fixing the financial flaws in the existing program that threaten to bankrupt the nation.

Medicare spent 3.6% of gross domestic product in 2016, more than six times the share it consumed in 1967, the first full year it was implemented. The share of GDP consumed by Medicare will rise to at least 9% within 75 years — and that’s the good-news scenario. Other plausible forecasts show that Medicare could spend more than twice that.

A spending jump to 9% would require a roughly 17.4% increase in all federal taxes or a 30.5% cut in other entitlement and discretionary spending, or some intermediate combination. If the spending jump follows the worst forecasts, we would need to raise taxes by 36.33% or cut 91.76% of other spending. And this all assumes Congress doesn’t add even more people to Medicare than the current rules allow for.

That isn't sustainable.
That isn't practical.
That isn't workable.
That isn't affordable.

What do we need to do to fix Medicare? Focus on Three Things.

(1) Medicare’s eligibility age is much too low. The threshold has remained where it was originally set, at 65 (for most people). In 1967, the average 65-year-old American was expected to live 14.8 more years. In 2016, 65-year-olds live 19.3 more years on average—a roughly 30% jump. Yet the government has not adjusted the threshold age required for benefits.

The solution is to raise Medicare’s eligibility age incrementally. If it increases by between three and four months a year, the Medicare eligibility requirement would synchronize with the rise in Social Security’s full retirement age, so that both would hit 67 by 2027. The government could keep raising the age floor at this rate until around 2072, when the eligibility age would be 73 and the average length of coverage would return to the original duration, 14.8 years. After that point, the threshold could rise more slowly, having made up the difference that has accrued over the past 50 or so years. It would be a gradual enough adjustment to allow ample time for beneficiaries and others to adapt, but it would still help stop the program from bankrupting the nation.

(2) There has been an almost fourfold increase since 1972 in the proportion of the working-age population classified as eligible for disability under Social Security, and hence coverage under Medicare. Are four times as many people born disabled or becoming disabled at a later point in their life? No. Instead, standards for disability qualification have loosened as politicians of both parties sought to buy votes.

The solution is straightforward: restore the original disability standard — which has become lax — so that people qualify for benefits only when they are “effectively unable to work any job in the economy.” In addition, other countries have reduced disability rolls by requiring most applicants to complete a rehabilitation plan before being awarded payments. For example, The Netherlands has cut 60% of its disability numbers with this measure. These two tweaks would allow the disabled to continue receiving benefits, but people simply looking for an easy payout would no longer threaten the financial security of the elderly and truly disabled.

Adjusting the eligibility age and cutting disability rates could eliminate about 41% of the future growth in Medicare’s resource share. Much of the remaining excess could be cut by raising deductibles and coinsurance.

(3) The average beneficiary today consumes six times more medical services than in the previous generation, even without counting the drug benefit introduced in 2006 that boosted Medicare’s share of GDP by nearly 0.4 percentage point. This is because the price of medical goods and services under Medicare are priced far too low. The solution: charge more.

Most beneficiaries pay 68% less in deductibles than the previous generation and are charged coinsurance on steeply discounted rates. Since 1989, 20% of beneficiaries who are designated as low-income have been excluded from paying any deductibles, coinsurance or premiums. Adding another service costs them nothing, and as a result they consume about 42% more services than other beneficiaries, even when the total is adjusted for health status. Medicare can’t be sustained at such discounted rates.

Instead, deductibles and coinsurance should be adjusted to fit those in the private market. The current Medicare deductible for professional services is 11% of the average for commercial insurance. Deductibles need to rise to 25% of the average commercial rate over the next 20 years and then up to the full average rate over the following 10 years. Coinsurance can remain at the below-market rate of 20% for 30 years. After that, unless other cost-cutting measures are taken, saving Medicare will also require low-income beneficiaries to bear some cost increases. By 2091, deductibles for most beneficiaries would need to hit $7,500 and their coinsurance would have to rise to the current market rate of 36%.

If the U.S. is lucky and Medicare follows the most optimistic forecasts, these increases, along with the first two changes, should keep Medicare’s GDP share constant. If costs follow pessimistic predictions, these increases would need to be approximately double.

More-extensive redesigns may be preferable to these three fixes, but one way or another costs have to stop consuming ever larger shares of GDP, or else the program is liable to explode—and take the rest of the economy with it. Talking about a grand expansion scheme like Medicare for All is pure fantasy.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ha. My friends in college introduced me to 4chan in 2004 and I lurked for years during that period as they all played on it with memes and pictures mostly on /b/. It was all new and shocking and sometimes funny. I went through the whole thing with anonymous happening and the white hat hackers and my computer science friends, but I saw enough of the sewer portion of it to stay away for the most part after college. Some of it is just sicking. Plus I'd heard it got taken over around 2013-2014 by the alt-right white nationalist agenda.

I've become more familiar with Carl Benjamin and that whole online movement in the last two years because I wanted to understand what the hell happened and how we got to this point. I knew about the weaponization of Cambridge Analytica data targeting those individuals that could be persuaded to change their minds and about the disinformation and propaganda campaign playing both sides, which is still happening. Catching up to all the internet lingo of this new generation has been a process. It took me a couple months to get Sargon is a charming charismatic misinformation misogynist who deserved to be de-platformed like Alex Jones. Though he's not as deranged and dangerous as Alex Jones but he is nefarious. Still he supported neo-fascist and white nationalist Tommy Robinson and ran for UKip which is known for being ignorant and racists. I learned about gamer gate and I've watched enough of his videos to have his number.

The group you cited is attached to the alt-right white nationalism as well. It's new to me but pepe isn't and it's been adopted by several groups. Their symbolism is on the flag along with fascists. My oldest brother was a Neo-Nazi for years in the 80's and 90's and so I was exposed to much of that. He's out of it now. The symbolism is everything to them and I can recognize and identify it when most people can't and don't know what it really means. The alt-right, white nationalist, neo nazis believe in racial superiority, eugenics and a white ethno state and they're trying to normalize this, quite successfully, by appearing normal and with Trump in office. However, we've been there with Hitler and the extermination of the Jews and this does not end well.

I don't know everything but I do know some things and I certainly don't agree with aligning with the racism of the white nationalist, alt-reich, neo nazis, or the misogyny of pepe, MGTOW, incels, proud boys, or the deluded deep state conspiracy theory ideology of Q Anon. Nor do I encourage 4chan or 8chan to anyone because it's occupied mostly by all of this and a bunch of incestuous, pedophiles, perverts, sociopaths and psychopaths.
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The Greatest Generation are, sadly, starting to die off. As are the oldest of the Boomers who partied a little too hard. A lot of them die and take their money with them
False. When they GGs and Boomers die, they do not have their wealth buried with them in a casket.

Quote:
or it ends up somewhere in the "black hole" of Wall Street.
False. No such "back hole" exists.

Quote:
You're seeing wealth increases in places like San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Santa Monica, Palo Alto, Laguna Beach because foreign money is coming in
False. Wealth increases in response to expansion in the economy and the near miraculous tech expansion of the Bay Area. Foreign money is irrelevant to the creation and expansion of Apple, Google, Facebook, Salesforce.com, Intel, AMD, Cisco, Oracle, and all the other tech & biotech companies of the Bay Area and California in general.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Quote:
We did the great experiment picking up the rock to see what was under there and we found a ton of creepy crawly gross maggots
Is that your description for a "basket full of deplorables?"

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Damn those Republicans and their 19th Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or