U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 6 13.33%
Upper Middle Class 20 44.44%
Lower Middle Class 9 20.00%
Working Class 3 6.67%
Poor - Poverty Level 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

9,275 posts, read 9,338,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm an anarcho capitalist if anything. Republicans and democrats work together for the same donors to screw Americans.

That's a nice twist to put yourself on the upper hand of morality aka virtue signal.

It's not that I don't care that people are poor, it's that I understand that people are poor, 9,999 times out of 10,000 because of dumb choices they make.
There's no oppression causing poverty. It's bad choices and laziness. Which is odd because the poor tend to do more work than the wealthy. But the poor work dumb and the rich work smart.

I work less than I have ever worked and make more than I have ever made now because I started making better choices. Instead of wasting money on crap that doesn't add value to my life, like TVS and name brand clothes, I'm buying tools to make money with. I'm buying wholesale products to resell on ebay.
I'm starting to learn how to trade stocks so I can day trade.
I teach weld classes where I do very little work. I basically talk a little bit, and then correct problems students make and offer advice.

I still have a long way to go to meet my financial goals, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than I was last year.

I went from rock bottom to middle class pretty quickly and I'm kissing upperclass. It's because of good choices and taking advantage of opportunity.

There's absolutely nothing stopping other poor people from making it except for their own mentality.
I'm no financial genius but give me a poor person willing to listen and I'll turn their life around.

At the end of the day we both want the same thing. People to do well. The difference is you have no faith in people and think you need to hand them everything they need.
I think people are capable of working hard, working smart, and making it on their own.
The safety nets are the biggest obstacle people face. Homeless people stay homeless because they can easily get everything they need. Poor people stay poor because the government hands them food, shelter, and money. They live a subpar life but as long as their basic needs are covered they're largely content to stay that way.
But worse than that, the way the programs work you're actively deincintivized to progress yourself. And the left is doing all they can to make that worse so they can virtue signal to their voters.
There are lots of reasons why people are poor and that is what makes poverty such a challenging problem. People can be poor because they are lazy and make bad choices, but that only explains a portion of it. Your failing to acknowledge poverty can and does exist for other reasons tells me much about you. You are obviously not a deep thinker.

Try being sick with a chronic illness. There are lots of people who never get their due in the work place simply because they lack good health. An illness like insulin dependent diabetes can wreak utter havoc on your life. Some people have low intelligence. They played no part in that. It was a bad roll of the dice when it came to genetics. Yet, low intelligence is a huge factor in succeeding in school or in the work place. Some people have ****ty parents who do a horrible job raising them including denying them appropriate love and support. Some can overcome it. But a lot cannot. Racial discrimination still exists in this country in places--whether some want to admit it or not. Some find a way around it, but its an obstacle that white people--like myself--don't fully understand. Being born in an economically depressed region of the country can set you back. Kids born in Appalachia statistically end up with a smaller net worth than kids born in Orange County, California when you look at them forty-five years later.

Comparing yourself to everyone else in the world and asking "why others can't succeed if I do?" is often badly flawed thinking. You may have benefits and privileges you do not realize or acknowledge. If you are succeeding, great. However, don't assume everyone who doesn't is just "lazy". Its far more complicated than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
EA

6,260 posts, read 5,262,342 times
So here's the thing. I said laziness OR bad choices. I stand by that. I'm well aware of the minority of people who truly have such a diminished capacity that they can't succeed like other people can. I'm also well aware of debilitating illness.
Here's my question to you. Do these people not have parents?

If you have a child with special needs the burden of life shifts from the child to the parent. In other words, the parents are responsible for the life of the disabled. You should have aborted them when you had the chance. But you didn't so the least you can do is make good choices and set them up for life.

There are also special cases where parents or parent may have died. I am ok with helping that person out. They didn't ask to be born and they certainly didn't ask to be left alone with no parents.

But let's be real here. The vast majority of people do not fall into either of those categories. Even ones that do, many times can fend for themselves just fine.
We've had a couple disabled people come to our weld class. I have another friend that is disfigured, crippled, and has something I'm not even going to pretend I can type or pronounce. That dude has a house, sports cars, and a fiance. He's doing just fine on his own despite needing extra care, special everything for daily life.
And the mentally disabled, just look at AOC. She has a job in congress. She makes more than I do and she has 1/4 of my IQ.

All jokes aside, people need to take care of themselves and the problems they create. Be it children, debt, or other.

Stop making excuses and start making solutions that don't involve stealing my money.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,472,649 times
Being a welder and teaching it to others is not a scalable career path.

I think you need to recognize that you've gotten a little lucky. Good on you for that. Luck + hard work will sometimes equal a path to the middle class. Sometimes it doesn't work. More often, blue collar skill sets like yours no longer provide a livable wage. We don't need to look any further than the decimation of the rust belt states to see that capitalism eventually eviscerates the majority of those types of jobs in search of ever increasing profits.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

9,275 posts, read 9,338,645 times
Quote:
So here's the thing. I said laziness OR bad choices. I stand by that. I'm well aware of the minority of people who truly have such a diminished capacity that they can't succeed like other people can. I'm also well aware of debilitating illness.
Here's my question to you. Do these people not have parents?

If you have a child with special needs the burden of life shifts from the child to the parent. In other words, the parents are responsible for the life of the disabled. You should have aborted them when you had the chance. But you didn't so the least you can do is make good choices and set them up for life.

There are also special cases where parents or parent may have died. I am ok with helping that person out. They didn't ask to be born and they certainly didn't ask to be left alone with no parents.

But let's be real here. The vast majority of people do not fall into either of those categories. Even ones that do, many times can fend for themselves just fine.
We've had a couple disabled people come to our weld class. I have another friend that is disfigured, crippled, and has something I'm not even going to pretend I can type or pronounce. That dude has a house, sports cars, and a fiance. He's doing just fine on his own despite needing extra care, special everything for daily life.
And the mentally disabled, just look at AOC. She has a job in congress. She makes more than I do and she has 1/4 of my IQ.

All jokes aside, people need to take care of themselves and the problems they create. Be it children, debt, or other.

Stop making excuses and start making solutions that don't involve stealing my money.

The majority of people who are poor fit into the categories I've mentioned. A smaller subset is lazy and most people would say they are responsible for their predicament.

You have a point of view. I disagree with that point of view. I believe a majority of people accept my POV, otherwise we would not have anti-poverty programs. My group has won enough elections that we have pretty much made this kind of assistance permanent.

Taxation isn't stealing money. Its a function of government. In America, we elect the people who tax us, so I have little sympathy for someone who claims its unfair.

And before you try to claim I'm some poor person who ought to be out looking for work, let me tell you that my net worth makes me a millionaire. Finally, I don't like libertarians very much. I think they are generally simpletons who fail to understand what a complex world we live in.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Very scientific measurements here. 1/4 his IQ. Next he'll get out his calipers to measure her skull to prove his superiority.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,022,560 times
Libertarianism is the ideology of a 15 year old boy with an anarchy symbol on his backpack who naively thinks that nothing he says or does in life will effect anyone else, and nothing that anyone says or does in their lives will effect him.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Libertarianism is the ideology of a 15 year old boy with an anarchy symbol on his backpack who naively thinks that nothing he says or does in life will effect anyone else, and nothing that anyone says or does in their lives will effect him.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Being a welder and teaching it to others is not a scalable career path.

I think you need to recognize that you've gotten a little lucky. Good on you for that. Luck + hard work will sometimes equal a path to the middle class. Sometimes it doesn't work. More often, blue collar skill sets like yours no longer provide a livable wage. We don't need to look any further than the decimation of the rust belt states to see that capitalism eventually eviscerates the majority of those types of jobs in search of ever increasing profits.

Weld instruction is absolutely not scalable that's why it's only part of my income and not all of it.

No one that knows me at all would ever call me lucky in any way shape or form.

I obtained skills and said yes to opportunities that come up. I took many risks along the way. Some of them were abject failures others worked out great.
I actually had a brick and mortar store by the Rio. Couldn't get the traffic I needed to stay open. It failed.
I started 2 ebay stores that failed. The 3rd one took off pretty well.
I started a facebook group and grew it to several thousand members. I sell ads on it and also sell services to the group.

No one ever got rich working one job. The average millionaire has 7 streams of income. I have 4. Working on 5 and 6.

You're so busy looking at particulars you're not seeing the forest.

Quote:
Very scientific measurements here. 1/4 his IQ. Next he'll get out his calipers to measure her skull to prove his superiority.

A little bit of hyperbole, but the woman is incredibly dumb.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quote:
A little bit of hyperbole, but the woman is incredibly dumb.
Smart enough to win a house seat against a long time centrist incumbent.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
EA

Quote:
Smart enough to win a house seat against a long time centrist incumbent.

Doesn't take intelligence to win when your core voters are stupid.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM

Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect. You're a textbook case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or