U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 6 12.24%
Upper Middle Class 21 42.86%
Lower Middle Class 11 22.45%
Working Class 4 8.16%
Poor - Poverty Level 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,267 posts, read 5,266,087 times
Reputation: 6918

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
She had good reason to not acquiesce to Amazon demands. It's the same reason why it's a raw deal to host the Olympics or to have a NBA/NFL/MLB team force you to build a stadium for them and have tax payers foot the bill.

The amount you pay is more than what you will get back. Good on her for finally realizing the scam.



Ironically she sought a tax break to start her own business in 2012. Hypocrite much?


Let's do a little math.

Amazon would have gotten 500,000,000 dollars, over the course of 10 years, from NY to bring in 25,000 jobs with a salary of 150,000 a year.

In 1 year Amazon would be paying 3,750,000,000 to those people who would be taxed on that money AND spending it locally.
In 10 years it would be 37,500,000,000 dollars into NY economy. That is 37 BILLION.

Let's assume each employee would be paying 10% a year in taxes to make it simple.
That would be 3.7 BILLION dollars in tax revenue for NY.

Correct me if I am wrong but 3.7 billion > 500 million.

Beyond that, those figures are if Amazon only brought in 25,000 jobs. Amazon was aiming to bring in 40,000 jobs. The tax breaks and payments were tied to the jobs. If Amazon didn't bring in the jobs they wouldn't get the money or breaks.

AOC is the dumbest human alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
13,249 posts, read 4,990,311 times
Reputation: 5833
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
School achievements are meaningless to me. The bar is so low and useless in school.
She went to school for economics and wouldn't know economics if it slapped her ass.
Still absolutely absurd. Graduation with honors from college requires significant intellectual ability. And the Intel competition is fierce and you have to be very bright to win.

You can certainly disagree with OAC. But the simple facts are she is quite bright. You are of course welcome to your own opinions. But you do not get your own facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
13,249 posts, read 4,990,311 times
Reputation: 5833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
The cocktail waitress is an illiterate fool. She's so stupid, after running Amazon out of NYC she proudly proclaimed now we can use the money we were going to give Amazon thru tax breaks, on more teachers. She's as bright as the basketball team at Boston University, if they have one.
You also can disagree with her but that does not change the fact she is very intelligent. And you also have a right to your opinions but you do not get your own facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
 
2,571 posts, read 2,475,226 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Ironically she sought a tax break to start her own business in 2012. Hypocrite much?


Let's do a little math.

Amazon would have gotten 500,000,000 dollars, over the course of 10 years, from NY to bring in 25,000 jobs with a salary of 150,000 a year.

In 1 year Amazon would be paying 3,750,000,000 to those people who would be taxed on that money AND spending it locally.
In 10 years it would be 37,500,000,000 dollars into NY economy. That is 37 BILLION.

Let's assume each employee would be paying 10% a year in taxes to make it simple.
That would be 3.7 BILLION dollars in tax revenue for NY.

Correct me if I am wrong but 3.7 billion > 500 million.

Beyond that, those figures are if Amazon only brought in 25,000 jobs. Amazon was aiming to bring in 40,000 jobs. The tax breaks and payments were tied to the jobs. If Amazon didn't bring in the jobs they wouldn't get the money or breaks.

AOC is the dumbest human alive.
You do realize that Amazon came to NYC anyways? Now the 5 burroughs gets to enjoy the entire tax base that Amazon would bring, not a piece of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
 
2,571 posts, read 2,475,226 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Society does not require stealing from everyone.

Society works just fine when people pay for the things they want as they get them.
Instead of getting what's forced on you, you get what you want.
Do you pay for the roads as you drive along them? Of course not. That would grind all traffic to a halt. There's no way to pay for things "as you use them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
 
2,571 posts, read 2,475,226 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
What's that got to do with my post? Nothing. You and the real estate troll should move in together
Other than the fact that governments will often bend over backwards for large corporations even though it is anathema to their overall communities' interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
13,249 posts, read 4,990,311 times
Reputation: 5833
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Ironically she sought a tax break to start her own business in 2012. Hypocrite much?


Let's do a little math.

Amazon would have gotten 500,000,000 dollars, over the course of 10 years, from NY to bring in 25,000 jobs with a salary of 150,000 a year.

In 1 year Amazon would be paying 3,750,000,000 to those people who would be taxed on that money AND spending it locally.
In 10 years it would be 37,500,000,000 dollars into NY economy. That is 37 BILLION.

Let's assume each employee would be paying 10% a year in taxes to make it simple.
That would be 3.7 BILLION dollars in tax revenue for NY.

Correct me if I am wrong but 3.7 billion > 500 million.

Beyond that, those figures are if Amazon only brought in 25,000 jobs. Amazon was aiming to bring in 40,000 jobs. The tax breaks and payments were tied to the jobs. If Amazon didn't bring in the jobs they wouldn't get the money or breaks.

AOC is the dumbest human alive.
You do not have the faintest idea of what you are discussing. The resistance to Amazon was local. The LIC community was of the opinion there were too many downsides. That starts from the 7 subway already congested to the breaking point, the local schools which were already over capacity, Home rental and sales prices which were already way high. The view basically was that 25,000 people in that area would create a local disaster very little of which had effective solutions planned.

AOC supported the resistance but did not originate it. So she simply responded to her community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,267 posts, read 5,266,087 times
Reputation: 6918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Do you pay for the roads as you drive along them? Of course not. That would grind all traffic to a halt. There's no way to pay for things "as you use them".



I pay for my car as I use it.
I pay for my phone as I use it.
I pay for my internet as I use it.
I pay for electricity as I use it.
I pay for water as I use it.
I pay for gas as I use it.
I pay for my house as I use it.
I pay for food as I use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
 
2,571 posts, read 2,475,226 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I pay for my car as I use it.
I pay for my phone as I use it.
I pay for my internet as I use it.
I pay for electricity as I use it.
I pay for water as I use it.
I pay for gas as I use it.
I pay for my house as I use it.
I pay for food as I use it.
But do you pay for the roads as you use them? Is there a GPS device attached to your vehicle that charges you for each specific road you drive along?

Obviously you've avoided answering my question because you realize that sometimes you cannot pay for things "as you go".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,267 posts, read 5,266,087 times
Reputation: 6918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
But do you pay for the roads as you use them? Is there a GPS device attached to your vehicle that charges you for each specific road you drive along?

Obviously you've avoided answering my question because you realize that sometimes you cannot pay for things "as you go".



Yes, I actually do pay for the roads as I use them.
Every time I fill up my gas tank.


You say I'm dumb, but you don't even know how roads are funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top