U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 6 12.24%
Upper Middle Class 21 42.86%
Lower Middle Class 11 22.45%
Working Class 4 8.16%
Poor - Poverty Level 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

13,249 posts, read 4,990,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I pay for my car as I use it.
I pay for my phone as I use it.
I pay for my internet as I use it.
I pay for electricity as I use it.
I pay for water as I use it.
I pay for gas as I use it.
I pay for my house as I use it.
I pay for food as I use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
But do you pay for the roads as you use them? Is there a GPS device attached to your vehicle that charges you for each specific road you drive along?

Obviously you've avoided answering my question because you realize that sometimes you cannot pay for things "as you go".
And even more fun do you pay for the GPS service? Just how would any corporation get control of orbits and exclusive use of radio frequencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,475,226 times
Quote:
Yes, I actually do pay for the roads as I use them.
Every time I fill up my gas tank.

You say I'm dumb, but you don't even know how roads are funded.
And that gas has a tax on it. Are you following my logic here?

Even then, that gas tax only funds a fraction of the road. The government has to fund it through other taxes and tolls.

https://taxfoundation.org/gasoline-t...road-spending/

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
EA

6,267 posts, read 5,266,087 times
Quote:
And that gas has a tax on it. Are you following my logic here?

Even then, that gas tax only funds a fraction of the road. The government has to fund it through other taxes and tolls.

https://taxfoundation.org/gasoline-t...road-spending/

The issue is, the government misappropriates the gas tax funds, which means they end up taking the money from elsewhere. That's on the government not me.
Gas tax is voluntary. I can choose to get an electric car. I can choose to walk. I can choose to ride a bike. I can choose to ride a horse. I can get around without paying gas tax if I want.
I can't get out of income tax.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The issue is, the government misappropriates the gas tax funds, which means they end up taking the money from elsewhere. That's on the government not me.
Gas tax is voluntary. I can choose to get an electric car. I can choose to walk. I can choose to ride a bike. I can choose to ride a horse. I can get around without paying gas tax if I want.
They misappropriate gas taxes? They aren't even taking the proper amount to fund the maintenance of the roads in all the states.

You don't strike me as the type who would walk or bicycle or even buy an electric car.

And yes, you can get out of income tax, it's called relinquishing your citizenship and living on an island you've purchased.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Of course you can. Simply do not make any more than the minimum that is taxed. It is the same way you avoid a gas tax - don't drive. If you have no income above the threshold you pay no taxes.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
EA

Quote:
They misappropriate gas taxes? They aren't even taking the proper amount to fund the maintenance of the roads in all the states.

You don't strike me as the type who would walk or bicycle or even buy an electric car.

And yes, you can get out of income tax, it's called relinquishing your citizenship and living on an island you've purchased.

All the income tax I had to pay to earn enough to buy an island....... You're forgetting that part.

They do collect plenty to cover the roads. The issue is, all the bureaucracy costs a crap load of money. All the waste costs more money. By the time the money gets to actually building the roads, there's not much left.
I'd much rather let Amazon or Elon Musk handle roads. I'd get better roads for less money.

I spent 15 years riding a bike everywhere. I love bikes.
Walking I'm not as big a fan of.
Here's my planned list of vehicle purchases.
Next is a truck. Ram 1500 or maybe an f150 ecoboost.
Then I'm getting the 2021 Corvette (I never buy first year cars.)
Then I'm getting a Model X.

Ram is for business.
Corvette is for R&D. I have access to engineers, cnc machines, and welders. Going to make some parts for it to sell. And I get to write both of those off.

Model X is for the family.

I'm a big supporter of autonomous cars most of which are electric.

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

So you'd rather let companies who are the epitome of capitalist and have no experience in infrastructure build the roads? OK. Prepare to have snake oil boring tunnels that can only fit one vehicle and have elevators that have queues for hours.

Your suspicion of the government to this degree is comical. Almost all private industries that tried to do these types of projects eventually failed and the government had to take them over.

You may dislike taxes, but they are there for a reason. Hell, you don't even need to buy an island. You could move to tax cheat countries like Cayman Islands if you hate them so much. My guess is, the small amount of taxes you pay is worth staying put in USA.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
EA

LMAO. Not one thing does the government do well. NOT ONE.

Prove me wrong.

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Prove me wrong.
You're using it right now. It's called the internet.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Prove me wrong.
GPS

The interstate road system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or