U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 5 15.15%
Upper Middle Class 14 42.42%
Lower Middle Class 5 15.15%
Working Class 3 9.09%
Poor - Poverty Level 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2019, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,733 posts, read 3,012,642 times
Reputation: 4911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Repped you for your great post. The link can't be reached. I can see it's housing-authority-director-leadership-exacerbated from the Las Vegas Sun. I'll have to search it later as I better go to bed soon. Trying to flip being up all night back into up all day. Night owl here.

I remember that movie House of Sand and Fog when it came out. I'll have to rewatch it through the lens you provided. I recall she was living in a house on the water and was wrongly evicted and the older foreign family that bought got it at a bargain. They worked hard and saved their money for it but in the end because of the dispute they killed themselves over it since they lost everything.
Here's a snippet of the article:

Quote:


Housing authority director: Past leadership exacerbated affordable housing woes in Las Vegas


Las Vegas Sun

by Miranda Wilson

Fri, Apr. 19, 2019

The director of the Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority is conducting a programmatic audit of the agency’s activities and services, and, so far, he said it doesn’t bode well for the housing authority’s past leadership.

Director Chad Williams, who has been on the job since June, says the agency has not provided any of the approximately 12,000 subsidized housing vouchers it receives from the federal government to Southern Nevada residents in the last 10 years. Instead, the vouchers have been given exclusively to people moving into the valley who had already been granted vouchers by other housing authorities.

“We’re not pulling people off our own waiting list who are more than likely locals,” Williams said. “I think that’s a travesty.”

http://https://lasvegassun.com/news/...665.1564464688
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2019, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Viva Las Vegas bound!
2,865 posts, read 2,149,198 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm more of an ancap. I don't want any government at all. I want business to be open and free.
lol - Well there aren't many of those now days at the extreme edge of the libertarian quadrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Viva Las Vegas bound!
2,865 posts, read 2,149,198 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Here's a snippet of the article:
Thanks. Let's see if this works for future reference.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/ap...p-exacerbated/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,219 posts, read 5,248,212 times
Reputation: 6904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Fair enough.

You did though. I believe in free speech but I'm not a free speech absolutist. That's a folly many fall into and another one of their tricks. There are limits. Thumbs down on hate speech and I don't work for likes.



People need to be free to say whatever they want.
You CAN NOT have limits on freedom or else it's not freedom. Freedom of speech is the most important thing to me out of everything.
Stifling free speech, as the left is so keen on doing "for tolerance" doesn't make thoughts go away. Racists still exist, you've just made them sneakier by shutting them up. So instead of knowing who is racist and who isn't, we have no idea. Maybe my favorite diner is owned by a dude that hates white people. Maybe he spits in my food. I have no clue. If we were allowed free speech and he expressed himself, I'd steer clear.
He'd get to do his thing. I'd get to not eat spit. Win win. Now we have the government, illegally, telling people how to run their business and who to serve. I'm a firm believer in having the right to refuse service to anyone. I want that right even though I'd never use it. I want EVERYONE's money. Bring me all your business i don't give a damn what you do or who you are or what you look like or who you do. Pay me and I'm happy. I've done business with people I absolutely hate. But if some dude wants to refuse me service, I'll happily walk away and not give them my money. I WANT to know who hates me.
Can't do that in a fascist society where free speech isn't allowed.
Ideas can't be expressed in America right now because the left is so anti free speech.

Miss America (or something like that) was just denied her crown because she stated FACTS on twitter years ago. That is f'n scary.
You have to watch what you say and what you said years ago.
I am a big fan of dark humor. I've joked about some crazy stuff because it's funny not because I want to do any of it or condone any of it. If someone digs into my past and finds a joke I posted 20 years ago, my character is assassinated, people will post my address, I'll get death threats, my businesses will likely go under. All because I made a joke about hitler killing jews or something stupid like that.

Hell, I can't even say "Trump did a good job on this one particular bill. Not a big fan of his other bills." without being called a racist Trumpet.
I can't say "Obama dropped 26,000 bombs in 2015," without being called a racist.

Stating a fact is not racism in a free society but it is in a fascist one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
226 posts, read 308,817 times
Reputation: 227
Default Freedom of Speech

Quote:
Fair enough.

You did though. I believe in free speech but I'm not a free speech absolutist. That's a folly many fall into and another one of their tricks. There are limits. Thumbs down on hate speech and I don't work for likes.
Nope, didn't. All I did was clarify "reeee" (ever so mildly with "kekistani", which is not exclusive to any chan or website) for someone who thought it was a pig noise.

Still for freedom of speech. It's kind of traditional. I would hope everyone feels that way.

Quote:
work for likes
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Viva Las Vegas bound!
2,865 posts, read 2,149,198 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
People need to be free to say whatever they want.
You CAN NOT have limits on freedom or else it's not freedom. Freedom of speech is the most important thing to me out of everything.
Stifling free speech, as the left is so keen on doing "for tolerance" doesn't make thoughts go away. Racists still exist, you've just made them sneakier by shutting them up. So instead of knowing who is racist and who isn't, we have no idea. Maybe my favorite diner is owned by a dude that hates white people. Maybe he spits in my food. I have no clue. If we were allowed free speech and he expressed himself, I'd steer clear.
He'd get to do his thing. I'd get to not eat spit. Win win. Now we have the government, illegally, telling people how to run their business and who to serve. I'm a firm believer in having the right to refuse service to anyone. I want that right even though I'd never use it. I want EVERYONE's money. Bring me all your business i don't give a damn what you do or who you are or what you look like or who you do. Pay me and I'm happy. I've done business with people I absolutely hate. But if some dude wants to refuse me service, I'll happily walk away and not give them my money. I WANT to know who hates me.
Can't do that in a fascist society where free speech isn't allowed.
Ideas can't be expressed in America right now because the left is so anti free speech.

Miss America (or something like that) was just denied her crown because she stated FACTS on twitter years ago. That is f'n scary.
You have to watch what you say and what you said years ago.
I am a big fan of dark humor. I've joked about some crazy stuff because it's funny not because I want to do any of it or condone any of it. If someone digs into my past and finds a joke I posted 20 years ago, my character is assassinated, people will post my address, I'll get death threats, my businesses will likely go under. All because I made a joke about hitler killing jews or something stupid like that.

Hell, I can't even say "Trump did a good job on this one particular bill. Not a big fan of his other bills." without being called a racist Trumpet.
I can't say "Obama dropped 26,000 bombs in 2015," without being called a racist.

Stating a fact is not racism in a free society but it is in a fascist one.
Ya, no. I'm for the first amendment sure. However, we do not need to embrace hateful ideologies and normalize it. btdt. Civil discourse and debate did not work with Nazis in the 1930s who led to mass genocide and today want race wars.

Not all free speech is protected either. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater because people will stampede and get killed. You can't incite violence. If you're given a platform you're given a responsibility not to abuse that. If they can't live up to that then it's on them. In the case of de-platforming that came down to private entities that supplied those platforms. Private and public spaces are under different rules. Most of these online resources are not public utilities and users are subject to the terms of service. However, they're free to organize in public spaces and march but not without opposition thus you see the clashes between the fascists and the anti-fascists. The fascist work people up on forums instigating and organizing a traveling band to go into cities to publicly antagonize local communities. Then they claim they're the victims under the guise of free (hate) speech when they are met with opposition.

We did the great experiment picking up the rock to see what was under there and we found a ton of creepy crawly gross maggots, and holy cow they just keep coming out of the wood work. It's influencing and encouraging other to join who otherwise wouldn't. This is going to have dire consequences if we don't stand up in the face of it and say look this is not okay. It's dangerous even and people are going to get hurt and killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM
 
Location: Viva Las Vegas bound!
2,865 posts, read 2,149,198 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
Nope, didn't. All I did was clarify "reeee" (ever so mildly with "kekistani", which is not exclusive to any chan or website) for someone who thought it was a pig noise.

Still for freedom of speech. It's kind of traditional. I would hope everyone feels that way.

Huh?
See. You did know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
5,739 posts, read 5,982,171 times
Reputation: 6588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Dude. You linked the proof and no one asked you to. It factored for the margin of error. Now you discredit the proof you provided. Oy vey.

I'm personally not poor and even if I was that's no excuse to pick on those in poverty like Katie. Nobody loves it when people tell them how to live their life and to quit whining. There's a lot more going on there for people in the lower classes that has to do with so many factors.
No, there are your lousy choices as EA said. Losers whine and complain about everything being unfair. Winners see challenges as obstacles to overcome that will make their final victory more glorious. By Katieís own admission, other people around her made good choices and invested wisely and she didnít and others donít and as a result they continue to be poor. I guarantee any non-mentally ill poor person you find, I can show you countless mistakes they make every day and every week to keep them poor. This is a land of opportunity and one of my best friends in LA came here to San Jose, started a non-glamorous business of junk hauling, he bought a truck for $1,200 and got a business license, a phone line, and he started meager but pretty soon was running a million dollar enterprise with 40 employees and permits to haul everything including hazardous waste and while he hated the work, he loved the money. He told me he simply couldnít understand how easy it was to make money in this country and how little motivated most people are to do so. He eventually bought a Ferrari and a Hummer, moved to LA to pursue film, and was effectively retired from real work at age 33.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
226 posts, read 308,817 times
Reputation: 227
Default Don't understand, curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
See. You did know.
I don't get what you're saying.

Added:
Never mind. It's okay. Have a good evening, what's left of it.

Last edited by lvnyc; Yesterday at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Going to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Viva Las Vegas bound!
2,865 posts, read 2,149,198 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, there are your lousy choices as EA said. Losers whine and complain about everything being unfair. Winners see challenges as obstacles to overcome that will make their final victory more glorious. By Katie’s own admission, other people around her made good choices and invested wisely and she didn’t and others don’t and as a result they continue to be poor. I guarantee any non-mentally ill poor person you find, I can show you countless mistakes they make every day and every week to keep them poor. This is a land of opportunity and one of my best friends in LA came here to San Jose, started a non-glamorous business of junk hauling, he bought a truck for $1,200 and got a business license, a phone line, and he started meager but pretty soon was running a million dollar enterprise with 40 employees and permits to haul everything including hazardous waste and while he hated the work, he loved the money. He told me he simply couldn’t understand how easy it was to make money in this country and how little motivated most people are to do so. He eventually bought a Ferrari and a Hummer, moved to LA to pursue film, and was effectively retired from real work at age 33.
And your anecdotal evidence proves what? My lousy choices? What are you talking about? You seem confused. Bunch of jibber jabber. The land of milk and honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top