Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For fun, let us know in the poll where you fall.
Upper Class - Elite 6 11.76%
Upper Middle Class 23 45.10%
Lower Middle Class 11 21.57%
Working Class 4 7.84%
Poor - Poverty Level 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 PM

755 posts, read 399,437 times

Advertisements

Dirty, filthy, Wall St, and those corrupt teacher pension funds are the only ones making money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
You guys don't read do you. smh

Even the article he posted proved him wrong. He didn't even read it and it's the same person from the KNPR interview I posted.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:10 PM

661 posts, read 631,484 times
According to the calculator, We are in the middle income category along with 55% of other people in the valley. Your poll completely missed this segment.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:15 PM

The poll is for fun. You missed the point of that.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I did read. But I'm not seeing the part you're talking about. Why not end the confusion by copying and pasting the relevant parts here?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM

You didn't read it. You got to page 2 and cited it as page 3 and cherry picked one quote that appeared to agree with you but upon further examination didn't prove your point in the original article you posted. If you read the following paragraph you would have seen that. There was no significant upward mobility in Las Vegas. It indicated a significant decline. If you read the rest of it, all the way to page 5 even, you would have realized that. His KNPR audio piece explains this which you wouldn't even listen too and it's the same guy.

Quote:
Has the middle class in Las Vegas shrunk? Yes—on Pew’s definition. No—on ours.

Using Pew’s definition, the share of households in the Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise MSA
(hereafter referred to as Las Vegas) who are middle class dropped from 57% to 52%
between 1999 and 2017.9 But according to the Brookings definition, the share of
households in the middle class remained essentially the same over the same period: 64%
in 1999, 65% in 2017
Also 08grad the study makes no mention of hundreds of thousands of immigrants moving here bringing us down either. The burden of proof for that claim is upon you though. I thought you were a teacher? Oh and to answer your question on those facts you asked me to cite from a prior thread, it's in a book called Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland.

Makes it more difficult to cite and I don't expect you to read it but I'd recommend it.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Has the middle class in Las Vegas shrunk? Yes—on Pew’s definition. No—on ours.

Using Pew’s definition, the share of households in the Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise MSA
(hereafter referred to as Las Vegas) who are middle class dropped from 57% to 52%
between 1999 and 2017.9 But according to the Brookings definition, the share of
households in the middle class remained essentially the same over the same period: 64%
in 1999, 65% in 2017

Here is what I quoted "Has the middle class in Las Vegas shrunk? Yes—on Pew’s definition. No—on ours."

Here is what the additional piece says.

THE SAME DAMN THING.

"But according to the Brookings definition, the share of
households in the middle class remained essentially the same over the same period:"

So, NO the middle class did not decline.

As to the illegals...

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ed-immigrants/

Old 07-29-2019, 06:47 PM

You still refuse to stand corrected even when the facts are right in front of you. The evidence does not support your original claim of upward mobility in the Valley.

As for this immigrant article let me look at it. Did you even read this one or are you just throwing out links you think agree with you again? I'm guessing the later since you didn't quote any part of it in support.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:52 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
You guys don't read do you. smh
Quote:
You missed the point of that.
Quote:
You ... cherry picked one quote that appeared to agree with you
Quote:
You still refuse to stand corrected even when the facts are right in front of you.
REEEEEE why won't everyone think like me!!!

You're going to fit in well among the rest of the county's residents and their 17.4 average ACT score.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:52 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
I can say for the poor, things have gotten much worse. Not only myself, but all of the others I know in a similar situation. None of them have moved into middle class, just gotten poorer. I also know middle class people who have been both pushed higher and pushed lower, it all depends on their situation and how they handled their finances. The middle class people I know who owned property and have equity investments have moved to the upper middle class. On the flip side, people who were solidly middle class who rented and had no equities have seen their financial situation get worse. Some of them have now joined the poor. So again, I feel it is how you invested or lack of it, and whether you rented or own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas