U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:41 AM

2,361 posts, read 603,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! Sheís 70 and I swear her house is 85.
Oh I agree. My mom's 92, lives about 10 minutes from me, and she wears a jacket inside the house and has the thermostat set to 78.

But the body temperature regulation cuts both ways. For the elderly, they are susceptible both to cold AND to heat.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extrem...ults-heat.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 AM

170 posts, read 83,233 times
I am another person who likes the heat, and it's not age related for me i've always been cold blooded.

The worst thing over the years has been working in offices with AC blowing on me all day, I hate it and can't handle it. So I have a space heater and I have a coat at my desk I sometimes wear. A couple of my co-workers have commented that to fix that I should "put some meat on my bones" which really pisses me off. If I called my co-workers fat a$$es and told them to put down the jelly donuts and start exercising and lose weight I would be accused of fat shaming and creating a hostile work environment. Gotta love political correctness :/

Old 08-03-2019, 09:31 AM

620 posts, read 570,433 times
Quote:
Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! She’s 70 and I swear her house is 85.

I officially admit to being wrong about fans, though. They’re ghetto in Portland, sorry, they just are. They don’t work well and they look like you’re too poor for real AC. In Vegas, they WORK! Wow do they work. I’ve been sleeping with it at 75 with the ceiling fan full blast. I can’t believe it. I can’t sleep over 68 usually and if I turn the fan off, 75 feels miserable. But with the fan on it’s downright cold. You locals are onto something. I wonder how much money it costs to run a fan, no idea, but it sure does work. Glad I learned before I moved into my house (we have pre-wire for fans but no actual fans).

Agreed. I love it! Walking outside and feeling heat at night is heaven to me. And 2-5 pm is when I was outside both days. I really didn’t mind at all. Given, it wasn’t that bad, 103 or so. I’ve been in 116 here and it sucked. I’d rather just not be outside in that.
Glad to hear you discovered what I said a while back to be true. I was interested to see what room temp you would find comfortable. My house is 75 all day and I turn it down to 74 at night, I need a better/bigger fan in the master bedroom, it's too small. Previous owner screwed up and chose one for how it looked. Fan blades are to small for the size of the room.

Get energy efficient fans, newer ones have brushless DC motors and LED lights if you want a light on them. And, the experts say to only run the fan when you are in the room, they don't really do any good if you aren't in the room to take advantage of them. I have been in people's houses that have ceiling fans in many rooms and they are running all the time. Waste of energy, no benefit.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:29 AM

28,318 posts, read 40,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
This is an opinion, not a fact. Also, I am not from Seattle. Your credibility has gone away now.
That posters credibility went away months ago. Maybe longer.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:35 AM

28,318 posts, read 40,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
Blow dryer effect? Bring it on. Much better than living in Minneapolis or a desolate ultra conservative town with 8 dollar an hour jobs in Wisconsin where in January and February you can feel your nose hairs freeze when you breathe in through your nose.

Also lived with the rudest, meanest, most pretentious people you could imagine in Anchorage where my apartment complex had plug ins for my car to keep the engine block warm.

People are laid back and tolerant here. I have lived in DC and New England and believe me living in the West is the best! I am only 48, but have lived all over the country and I have a huge wealth of experience and frame of reference.

Besides, without me, where would the downtrodden lost souls here get their cigarettes and dollar bills.

Here is Matthew 25:40 'ďAnd the King will say, ĎI tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!í
Have you not been reading the posts on LV CD? Tolerant? Laid back? This bunch?

Old 08-04-2019, 04:58 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,012,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Glad to hear you discovered what I said a while back to be true. I was interested to see what room temp you would find comfortable. My house is 75 all day and I turn it down to 74 at night, I need a better/bigger fan in the master bedroom, it's too small. Previous owner screwed up and chose one for how it looked. Fan blades are to small for the size of the room.

Get energy efficient fans, newer ones have brushless DC motors and LED lights if you want a light on them. And, the experts say to only run the fan when you are in the room, they don't really do any good if you aren't in the room to take advantage of them. I have been in people's houses that have ceiling fans in many rooms and they are running all the time. Waste of energy, no benefit.
Very true, so yeah itís not my bill but Iím respectful (I hope) and when Iíve left my auntís casita thereís a switch for the fan too and I just turn it off so itís not running whenever Iím not here. I feel so silly doubting the fans because it makes such a crazy difference that I could tolerate 78 with the fan as long as Iím not sleeping. For sleep I settled on 75 with the fan but Iíve slept just fine and Iím pretty picky. I need to find modern looking fans to match the house but Iíve seen some online and doesnít seem to be an issue.

The house AC is amazing too and they used Lennox with a 3 ton and 3.5 ton for each floor. But my feeling is fan for the office, bedrooms, and outdoor patio would be amazing. Maybe living room but need to figure out lighting situation there.

I love this area of Green Valley, cracks me up what locals call ďtraffic.Ē Nobody is on the roads! Where is everyone?! Friday at 4-6 pm, all day Saturday, sure seemed light to me.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 AM

83 posts, read 43,927 times
This past Friday in Seattle, it took me 2 hours, yup 2 hours to drive 45 miles. Just a ridiculous amount of traffic and accidents. Ugh.

In terms of traffic, what is the worse that one can expect if one were to drive from one end to another part of LV?

Old 08-04-2019, 12:13 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,477,152 times
1 hour.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM

2,750 posts, read 3,025,723 times
Quote:
Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! Sheís 70 and I swear her house is 85.

I officially admit to being wrong about fans, though. Theyíre ghetto in Portland, sorry, they just are. They donít work well and they look like youíre too poor for real AC. In Vegas, they WORK! Wow do they work. Iíve been sleeping with it at 75 with the ceiling fan full blast. I canít believe it. I canít sleep over 68 usually and if I turn the fan off, 75 feels miserable. But with the fan on itís downright cold. You locals are onto something. I wonder how much money it costs to run a fan, no idea, but it sure does work. Glad I learned before I moved into my house (we have pre-wire for fans but no actual fans).

Agreed. I love it! Walking outside and feeling heat at night is heaven to me. And 2-5 pm is when I was outside both days. I really didnít mind at all. Given, it wasnít that bad, 103 or so. Iíve been in 116 here and it sucked. Iíd rather just not be outside in that.
I thought you said you didn't like the weather in Los Angeles because 75 degrees was "too cold" and you preferred heat ?

Old 08-04-2019, 04:58 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,012,551 times
Huh?! You’re not actually asking me about weather outside versus interior temperatures are you? Or is this a reading comprehension thing as in past instances? No, I don’t want it to be 75 as a high for May, June, July, etc. Thats way too cold for summer weather and I like a real summer with warm temperatures. Just because I like it 90 outside for swimming though doesn’t mean I like it 90 for sleeping or working on my computer or even hiking for that matter. 75 is fantastic hiking weather. If I’m going hiking around Las Vegas I’ll avoid it during the summer and that would probably be more of a February, March, April, October, November kind of thing for me. Different things have different temperatures that are ideal.

The biggest traffic thing I notice in Vegas is long lights. Looong like never seen any light that long in my life kinda thing. But if you hit a number in a row right, you’ll breeze through so fast. It may be more efficient the way Vegas does it anyway rather than constant 20 seconds lights that keep changing and building up traffic. I hope one day I can be like the locals and redefine what traffic means lol. We had an Uber driver complain about traffic while going 50 on the freeway. Not sure where he learned the word but that ain’t traffic! If you’re going between 0 and 15, that’s traffic! If you’re nearly going the speed limit there’s no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or