U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM

13,179 posts, read 4,968,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
25% off?? I think you mis-heard.

Try 25% OF stick built.

Seriously, mobile homes are dirt cheap. My God, man, they're MDF and aluminum, FCOL.

PS I've known lots of folks with PhDs that have NO common sense, basically dumb as a rock outside their very specific (read "limited") area of expertise.

So do not infer that he understands ANYTHING about construction, PhD or no. A mobile home?? really??

Realtors don't let friends build [sic] mobile homes.

-von
You are being silly Von. This is a guy who sold a $600,000 condo in San Pedro LA and knew his way around. Unless you were very close to the industry you would not know it was not stick built. Inside it was not detectable.

And this is 2000 SF. So it is no bolted together mobile.

And the only thing wrong intellectually with this dude was his fascination with women. Interesting in some ways...never graduated from high school but had a Phd from Fordham. Thesis was lots of heavy laser work.

And no he had no practical intellectual faults other than his woman idiocy. Finally married a neat older lady who tamed him. Think she used a chair and a whip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:51 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,467,740 times
With all respect, I'm in agreement with Von here. Buying a manufactured home should be around a ~50% discount. Unless you're talking about a high end manufacturer like bluhomes.com which only cater to higher end clientele and are based in SF Bay Area.

Almost always you can tell a manufactured house from stick built, unless it's high end. The last listing that had a new manufactured home that I saw was by Clayton Homes. You can get yourself a 1100 sqft double wide for 80k if you want!

https://www.claytonhomes.com/homes/51BBK16763AH

Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
With all respect, I'm in agreement with Von here. Buying a manufactured home should be around a ~50% discount. Unless you're talking about a high end manufacturer like bluhomes.com which only cater to higher end clientele and are based in SF Bay Area.
It was a very nice high end home. Next time his widow is in town I will see if she will share the info. She often stays with us when in LV. We will see what she knows. May even be able to get the actual documents.

Externally there is no way I would have known it was a prefab. Looked perfectly reasonable to me.

Just on a quick check...

Modular Home Prices
A modular home that is 1,800 square feet will cost about $72,000 to $144,000 without any customization, such as flooring or siding upgrades. The price of the base model itself is the largest single expense in the total for a finished home. When you look at base prices for these units, keep in mind that it is only one part of the total expense.
]

Last edited by lvmensch; 08-01-2019 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,467,740 times
I don't doubt it. Like I said, there are factories out there making a high quality luxury product. The cheapest these guys sell is a 600 sqft "Cabana 600" for 195k.

https://www.bluhomes.com/homes-landing

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

95 posts, read 29,388 times
Perhaps I've been influenced by my time in FL, which (to me) is mobile home central. Can spot any & all MH from afar.

Some folks here have $1MM worth of farm equipment in a barn, but their main house is a 50K mobile home. There's even a sign on I-75 "Adams Homes, Starting at $40,000"

Heck there's even mobile home parks where most lots have their own boat dock!

Bluhomes is obviously an outlier, catering to those in SF who can't afford a $2 million starter home, which is most. Several reports of tech staff sleeping in cars, since they can't afford a home on their $150,000 starting salary.

Nonetheless, there is a reason why mobile/manufactured homes get destroyed in weather conditions that have minimal impact on real buildings.

They are CHEAP, regardless of how much one pays for them.

LVmensch, "high end home"?? Really? As a professional in the industry, can you honestly call a manufactured home a "nice high end home"?? Compared to what exactly??

-von

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Perhaps I've been influenced by my time in FL, which (to me) is mobile home central. Can spot any & all MH from afar.

Some folks here have $1MM worth of farm equipment in a barn, but their main house is a 50K mobile home. There's even a sign on I-75 "Adams Homes, Starting at $40,000"

Heck there's even mobile home parks where most lots have their own boat dock!

Bluhomes is obviously an outlier, catering to those in SF who can't afford a $2 million starter home, which is most. Several reports of tech staff sleeping in cars, since they can't afford a home on their $150,000 starting salary.

Nonetheless, there is a reason why mobile/manufactured homes get destroyed in weather conditions that have minimal impact on real buildings.

They are CHEAP, regardless of how much one pays for them.

LVmensch, "high end home"?? Really? As a professional in the industry, can you honestly call a manufactured home a "nice high end home"?? Compared to what exactly??

-von
That comment is in the context of rural NV outside of Yerrington. No it is not going to give Blue Heron or even Toll Brothers competition.

Old Today, 11:02 AM

95 posts, read 29,388 times
Thank you. Understood.

(I'm not sure it would give KB or Beazer a run, either - lol )

-von

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That comment is in the context of rural NV outside of Yerrington. No it is not going to give Blue Heron or even Toll Brothers competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas