U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:27 PM

5,768 posts, read 6,001,402 times

Advertisements

Ha I’d never sign anything like that! I’m the buyer, I have the cash, you’re just along for the ride. There’s no easier job than being my agent when I’m buying - it’s free money. I do all of the research and work, you get money. I only met my agent here twice, once when I dragged her to the sales office and once for the final walkthrough. She helped one other time with FaceTime on selecting our finishes after we provided samples of what we wanted. That was very nice and helpful. But to say she earned the $21,000, eh, haha.

I suppose the worst part for her was my finances weren’t in order when we started looking tentatively but I never asked her to show me anything / wasn’t local anyway. So it was just keeping in touch via email until we were ready. Buyers agent is so easy if the buyer knows what they want and has the money. My last agent made a modest income on just my moves alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM

13,208 posts, read 4,979,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Hey Chappy,

There is a discipline within real estate called "Buyers Broker". It is very common for them to only work under a contract. HOWEVER, these are usually for buyers seeking mid-7 to 8 digit properties.

For a plain RE Agent representing 300K homes to ask you to sign a buyers contract just reeks of inexperience and desperation.

You did the right thing.

-von
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ha Iíd never sign anything like that! Iím the buyer, I have the cash, youíre just along for the ride. Thereís no easier job than being my agent when Iím buying - itís free money. I do all of the research and work, you get money. I only met my agent here twice, once when I dragged her to the sales office and once for the final walkthrough. She helped one other time with FaceTime on selecting our finishes after we provided samples of what we wanted. That was very nice and helpful. But to say she earned the $21,000, eh, haha.

I suppose the worst part for her was my finances werenít in order when we started looking tentatively but I never asked her to show me anything / wasnít local anyway. So it was just keeping in touch via email until we were ready. Buyers agent is so easy if the buyer knows what they want and has the money. My last agent made a modest income on just my moves alone
The present system actually gives you no choice. It is possible that you may save the seller some money but you do nothing for yourself. New build is actually a little different. The buyer's agent commission is generally spent from a marketing budget. So if you don't have an agent they simply increase their profit by the amount involved. Very seldom will the builders actually dicker. They use a set price line and generally will not deviate. You can sometimes get some stuff by playing with the add ons but that is it mostly.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:45 PM

54 posts, read 19,824 times
I ended up buying one of my Realtors listings. It was a little beyond my max budget and the pictures I had seen it is a beautiful house, it was my first choice, but the max budget means max. She worked a deal and both the seller and I were happy. She never asked me to sign a buyers contract and she did earn her pay, as I am not an easy client to deal with.
The first 3 realtors I dealt with, I do not see how they put food on the table. When I sold my house in Texas, I got the best Realtor, I knew him from his reputation. My house sold the first day on the market at the full asking price. I had 2 offers, one cutting me 10,000 and one at full price. This is why I say research the Realtor. I don't gamble, don't even know how, but I had a win/win both in Texas and in Vegas.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 PM

98 posts, read 30,277 times
Eh, not that cut and dry.

First, "earning their money" is based on knowledge and experience. Like the joke, "you don't pay a plumber to bang on your pipes, you pay him for knowing where to bang on your pipes."

I would have gladly signed a Contract with a LV RE Agent last winter, heck, I even committed to him on the phone (someone on here). But that was for existing homes, not new builds.

Difference to me was this - some Builders DEMAND that your Agent be present during your first visit. We had pretty much narrowed it down to Pulte Blackrock (Pesaro and Vittaria models), or Overlook at the Cove by Woodside (Sarasate plan). This was before talking to the Agent, so no use engaging him on those.

I thought about exploring the Scottish 80s, as well as a few properties within SHCC, and again, would have gladly CONTRACTED with the Agent for that entire process. That's why I reached out to him.

RE Laws change state by state, and I had no interest in getting up to speed on the nuances of NV RE regs. Agents are worth their weight in gold in that respect.

JMO. YMMV.

-von

Quote:
Ha Iíd never sign anything like that! Iím the buyer, I have the cash, youíre just along for the ride. Thereís no easier job than being my agent when Iím buying - itís free money. I do all of the research and work, you get money. I only met my agent here twice, once when I dragged her to the sales office and once for the final walkthrough. She helped one other time with FaceTime on selecting our finishes after we provided samples of what we wanted. That was very nice and helpful. But to say she earned the $21,000, eh, haha.

I suppose the worst part for her was my finances werenít in order when we started looking tentatively but I never asked her to show me anything / wasnít local anyway. So it was just keeping in touch via email until we were ready. Buyers agent is so easy if the buyer knows what they want and has the money. My last agent made a modest income on just my moves alone

Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 PM

403 posts, read 1,304,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
Can I ask who you used for your agent?
Sorry for the delay, Greg and Ashley Lindsey, Realty One Group; phone 702-286-2377.

They go above and beyond for their clients, and work with out of towners like us - made this process so much less stressful! So thankful our paths crossed, and they helped us to find a house!

Old 08-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Congrats!

Just curious about the "first" comment - is this your first time doing a renovation?

-von
Yes - although we've bought/sold approx. 10 homes, they've all been new build or fairly new build (few years old). So this is a first for us, our RE agent is hooking us up with contractors - they've been awesome!

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Congratulations! Weíll be neighbors shortly! I did the final walk through on my Henderson house today, signed the closing documents, and on Tuesday at 9 am we verify the changes / fixes and close that day. So excited. Even though itís new, there are a ton of things I need to do before formally moving in so itíll be a lot of projects going on at once but it sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Iím sure youíll be able to make it your own and make it how you want it, so thatís exciting.
Congratulations! I would have loved a new build, but... thanks for the good wishes!

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

5,768 posts, read 6,001,402 times
Thanks! It’s funny how even with a new build, there is tons of work to do still. An existing home might at least have window coverings even if you don’t like them, but I have to deal with ordering stuff new. We are repainting all interior walls (just white, builder wouldn’t do it), there’s the backyard pool, spa, fire pit, landscaping, solar panel install, many rooms don’t have any recessed lighting, I’m putting gym flooring down in the loft, epoxy the garage, add barn door to the master to block light from the bathroom, mirrors have no wood frame around them and I’d like them to, glass shower door added to a guest bathroom, and a bunch more little things that are personal preference. None of it is a huge deal but still a lot to do! I’m anxious to get it done fast so that I can just live there and be settled.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 15 days ago)

1,431 posts, read 456,710 times
Good luck in the new digs.

The vast majority if Realtors suck.

I have had 5 homes over the decades. Fired 2 of them and about to fire #3.

Low entry qualifications to be a realtor thus the churn in agents.

It is all a bad game.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

12,089 posts, read 23,626,255 times
They can rank up there with car salesman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or