Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times

Advertisements

After house hunting since January, during our last trip in July we found a house and should be closing in a few weeks. We switched real estate agents a few months ago, and so thankful we did - such a better experience. The house needs renovation, so wish us luck - this will be a first for us.

Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM

32 posts, read 26,572 times
Congrats! Welcome to Henderson! It's a wonderful place to live!

Old 08-01-2019, 02:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Congratulations!!!! That's great news.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Congratulations! We’ll be neighbors shortly! I did the final walk through on my Henderson house today, signed the closing documents, and on Tuesday at 9 am we verify the changes / fixes and close that day. So excited. Even though it’s new, there are a ton of things I need to do before formally moving in so it’ll be a lot of projects going on at once but it sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I’m sure you’ll be able to make it your own and make it how you want it, so that’s exciting.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 PM

395 posts, read 272,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
After house hunting since January, during our last trip in July we found a house and should be closing in a few weeks. We switched real estate agents a few months ago, and so thankful we did - such a better experience. The house needs renovation, so wish us luck - this will be a first for us.

Can I ask who you used for your agent?

Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 AM

228 posts, read 196,611 times
I had to go through 3 different Realtors and the 4th time was the charm. I guess since I was buying from out of state, one called me a looky-loo, the other had no time to respond to phone call or e-mail, the 3rd worked with me for months and I was dealing with her mortgage lender and then she starts yelling at me on the phone telling me I could not buy a house in Nevada, unless I had my house in Texas on the market and a contract on it. I told her you better talk to the lender as I have no plans to sell my house till after I move. When she found out that I had the funds, her reply was "It must be nice".
Totally exhausted from dealing with the realtors, I started looking for a Texan, found a New Yorker living here, educated, by the name of Ellen Kaptain. She took care of everything, no wasted flights back and forth from Texas. The first time I saw the house, was when I flew out for the home inspection. (I already knew the neighborhood from previous trips) Everything was done online, we had a traveling Notary that we signed the closing documents IN Texas, so did not even have to fly out for closing.
My advice to anyone is to research your realtor!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:05 AM

228 posts, read 196,611 times
The other red flag on a Realtor is if they ask you, "the buyer", to sign a contract with them. I understand this if you are selling, but not as a buyer. I had never heard of this and would refuse if asked to do so. My 2nd realtor while I had told her my budget and that I wanted a 55+ community, kept sending homes in a trailer park. My top end budget was 300,000 in 2017. I did my own home search and kept telling my realtor the 2 communities I wanted, but it fell on deaf ears. Remember they work for you and make them earn their commission.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:48 AM

124 posts, read 105,589 times
Hey Chappy,

There is a discipline within real estate called "Buyers Broker". It is very common for them to only work under a contract. HOWEVER, these are usually for buyers seeking mid-7 to 8 digit properties.

For a plain RE Agent representing 300K homes to ask you to sign a buyers contract just reeks of inexperience and desperation.

You did the right thing.

-von

Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 AM

124 posts, read 105,589 times
Congrats!

Just curious about the "first" comment - is this your first time doing a renovation?

-von

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post

Old 08-03-2019, 11:29 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Hey Chappy,

There is a discipline within real estate called "Buyers Broker". It is very common for them to only work under a contract. HOWEVER, these are usually for buyers seeking mid-7 to 8 digit properties.

For a plain RE Agent representing 300K homes to ask you to sign a buyers contract just reeks of inexperience and desperation.

You did the right thing.

-von
There is a long term drive in the industry to separate buyer and seller agents into two different agreements. In fact in some states a buyers broker agreement is required on all representation of buyers. The real thing is if the commissions are really split with the seller paying the listing agent and the buyer the buyer's agent.

And virtually all the major brokerages are urging the use of such agreements. We don't and are unlikely to but it is the industry trend. A couple of decades ago there was a trend to open buyer only brokerages. Seems to have pretty much faded away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: