U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 PM

87 posts, read 46,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Thanks for all this input! I've been needing progressives for a long time but fear the transition with driving, stairs etc. Yes, LensCrafters has $50.00 eye exams and 30-40% off glasses for AARP members. This may bring them down to to Costco price level but I haven't checked. Since I am always taking my near sighted glasses on and off, they are quite a mess!!!
I have also watched many videos on ZenniOptical (online). They do tell you it's better to get that pupillary distance from an optician but that you can measure it yourself.
I would like to try them but I am thinking that it might be better to go to a lenscrafters or Costco for the first pair of progressives.
Did anyone try transitions? Lots of people have them, are they dark enough for the Las Vegas sun?
Thanks.
Thanks for your advice, Packrat1.
My insurance covered the full cost of the frames and the exam (I also did the optomap eye exam which I got a discount on). Got a discount on the lens as well.

My lens will be transition and anti-glare as well as impact resistant. I don't know what "dark enough" is lol. I've worn transition glasses for a long time now. Never had any problems. As long as you don't stare directly into the sun, you should be fine lol I went to lenscrafters because Costco's eye exam doctor was not available on a Sunday. Costco's Vision Center also apparently does not accept my insurance provider (Eye Med). Would have to pay out of pocket, then send the receipt to my insurance to get reimbursed.

At LensCrafter, the doctor I got had a uniform with the Pearle Vision logo on it so I'm guessing they have doctors from other offices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

13,915 posts, read 25,426,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Thanks for all this input! I've been needing progressives for a long time but fear the transition with driving, stairs etc. Yes, LensCrafters has $50.00 eye exams and 30-40% off glasses for AARP members. This may bring them down to to Costco price level but I haven't checked. Since I am always taking my near sighted glasses on and off, they are quite a mess!!!
I have also watched many videos on ZenniOptical (online). They do tell you it's better to get that pupillary distance from an optician but that you can measure it yourself.
I would like to try them but I am thinking that it might be better to go to a lenscrafters or Costco for the first pair of progressives.
Did anyone try transitions? Lots of people have them, are they dark enough for the Las Vegas sun?
Thanks.
Thanks for your advice, Packrat1.
I loved the idea of transitions lenses but in practice, not so much. UV is what makes them get dark and windshields screen out UV. So for driving they are no good. But for walking around outside they are great. They are also glass lenses and too heavy for some prescriptions.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

87 posts, read 46,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I loved the idea of transitions lenses but in practice, not so much. UV is what makes them get dark and windshields screen out UV. So for driving they are no good. But for walking around outside they are great. They are also glass lenses and too heavy for some prescriptions.
I get the transitions that go dark when I am walking out in the sun. For driving, I got the lenses that are anti-glare. I got polycarbonate or whatever the impact-resistant glasses are called that are not too thick and also not too thin.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

2,378 posts, read 3,985,458 times
My ophthalmologist Dorris Wong at Nevada Eye Care on E Flamingo across from Desert Springs hospital and she has been fantastic. Pricing for frames and lenses are the same as the mall eye centers.

Last edited by mojavedxer; Today at 12:00 PM..

Old Today, 03:37 PM

942 posts, read 1,197,755 times
Thanks YellowSnow. I did not know that windshield tint screen out enough UV to prevent transitions from transitioning. Was hoping to simplify my life by having only 1 pair of glasses. Would have been a mistake.

Old Today, 04:41 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,853,142 times
You can eliminate needing transition lenses by going with mono vision. One eye is set up for close up, the other for distance. My eyes have never had a problem adjusting to this. See a good Opthamologist and get your prescription. We have for years been sending out our scripts to Glasses Direct on the internet. $12 for the majority of frames and lenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas