U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,472,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They legally avoid taxes. They follow the law, they just use it as much as possible to pay as little as possible. Most people do whatever they can to avoid taxes. Many people move to NV to avoid state taxes. There's nothing wrong with this.

Tax evasion, OTOH is illegal. Actively breaking the law to conceal income or otherwise illegally not pay taxes.
Yes. Tax cuts are tax evasion made legal. To paraphrase Bill Maher regarding the dentist who travelled to Africa to kill a lion. "Yes, what the dentist did isn't technically illegal, that's what rich people do. They change the law to make things that were once illegal or immoral to something that's legal. That isn't right, that's just a larger part of the problem".

Here's the video, starting at 5:10

https://youtu.be/LDmLVr6AUHs

Last edited by ddrhazy; Today at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:11 PM
EA

6,264 posts, read 5,262,342 times
Bill Maher is a joke. He wants to take guns from people but he sleeps with a gun next to his bed to protect himself.

Old Today, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Most people with a retirement fund of any kind own the big bad GOOGL. Even Bernie Boys.
"According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, only 32% of Americans are saving for retirement in a 401(k). Granted, that owes partly to the fact that 401(k)s are employer-dependent, and not every company offers one."

Also, most people don't directly own google stock. Their ownership through a 401k or index fund is paltry.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...ve-a-401k.aspx

Old Today, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Bill Maher is a joke. He wants to take guns from people but he sleeps with a gun next to his bed to protect himself.
Not everyone can be Calvin Coolidge, I guess.

Old Today, 01:23 PM

84 posts, read 45,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Tax cut and a tax evasion are effectively the same thing. When you lobby for a tax cut and get said cut, those services that the taxes were slated to pay for still need to be paid for or need to be cut. Either way, it's just legalized theft.

And as far as your blurb about trickle down economics; Trickle down doesn't work. Companies have had record profits and it's not going to the workers. It's going to stock buy backs.

First time I've ever seen somebody say a tax cut is just legalized tax evasion. You just insulted many hard-working middle class Americans who pay taxes and love tax cuts.

Name a service that has been in danger of not getting paid for using taxpayer money.

Yea, Biden said the same thing about companies getting profits. Though I would really like to see the facts on that.

Old Today, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Name a service that has been in danger of not getting paid for using taxpayer money.
Prop 13 is a tax cut that severely limited schools' capabilities to continue maintaining adequate education. When Howard Jarvis got it passed, even good schools in good neighborhoods began having funding problems.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11701044/h...out-california

Old Today, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Prop 13 is a tax cut that severely limited schools' capabilities to continue maintaining adequate education. When Howard Jarvis got it passed, even good schools in good neighborhoods began having funding problems.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11701044/h...out-california
California, New York, and Nevada are democratic-run states. Without being biased, I'm curious to know the quality of education in republican-run states.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

Quote:
California, New York, and Nevada are democratic-run states. Without being biased, I'm curious to know the quality of education in republican-run states.
It's not that simple. Prop 13 is a California law, implemented by a republican. Just because California is currently democratic, it still has a lot of blue dog democrats and centrists handicapping it's ability to provide a quality education system.

Nevada is barely controlled by the democrats. Most of the democrats here are centrists.

Old Today, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It's not that simple. Prop 13 is a California law, implemented by a republican. Just because California is currently democratic, it still has a lot of blue dog democrats and centrists handicapping it's ability to provide a quality education system.

Nevada is barely controlled by the democrats. Most of the democrats here are centrists.

Education is a funny thing. My wife is a teacher and complains a lot about the education at the school she works at. But I guess it depends on the school and the location you are teaching at as well as the district. My cousin in New York retired as a teacher and said retiring was the greatest thing she ever did......hated the educational system.

I dunno....every state is different. I think some schools are better than others. I don't have facts on this but I would think there is a reason tax cuts exist. There's a reason why even middle class working citizens fight to have tax cuts. If there are a lot of tax cuts in one area, I would guess there are less tax cuts in another to balance it out.

Old Today, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I dunno....every state is different. I think some schools are better than others. I don't have facts on this but I would think there is a reason tax cuts exist. There's a reason why even middle class working citizens fight to have tax cuts. If there are a lot of tax cuts in one area, I would guess there are less tax cuts in another to balance it out.
There is a reason tax cuts exist.

It's called political corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or