Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM

1,306 posts, read 626,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
So you recognize that businesses are evading paying taxes. If I steal $10 from you, but give you $1 back, should you be happy?

That's the argument you've provided to accept tax evasion.

Evading taxes and getting tax cuts are two different things.

Donating to charity or contributing to a 401k plan, last time I checked, allows you to pay less in taxes. Just gotta put it down in your tax return. But you still pay taxes. It's the amount you pay that is lower than what others will pay.

Is there anything wrong with paying less in taxes? You basically get rewarded for contributing money.

I think what pisses a lot of middle class people off is the corporate tax and real estate tax. People investing in real estate and who own a business pay less tax because they own an asset. That house that you bought will provide housing for either yourself, someone you know, or somebody else. That business you own will provide jobs for other people. So you get rewarded for creating opportunity for others.

Correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 25,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I do know and see what is going on. I recently posted about the man who cleans the building where I work. I had said how he told me he is saving $7,000 a year in taxes under Trump's tax cuts. He is not just a housekeeper. He owns the company and has multiple employees. He told me how he made $90,000 last year. In disbelief, not only did he not have to pay ANY taxes, he got $500 back!
As a business owner and a recovering accountant, I find this very hard to believe unless he is taking steps to defraud the government. Even business owners are often confused. He said he didn't pay anything in, but he would have to pay in quarterly taxes from the business, so I'm guessing he did but overpaid by $500. Every individuals situation is unique (to a certain extent), but I'm struggling with this scenario.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM

755 posts, read 396,361 times
Quote:
Yeah. The 99% are just rolling around in Google stock.
That's right Bernie Boy. I will bet 99% of people with a retirement absolutely own GOOGL. You seem to be a big cheerleader for Vanguard. They just happen to be the largest holder of GOOGL. So, yes even a Bernie Boy owns GOOGL. HA HA HA

Old 08-06-2019, 12:10 PM

I'm gonna vote for China Joe Biden. Anybody in their right mind must vote for the person that will cure cancer when elected.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:26 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,084,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmith2000 View Post
As a business owner and a recovering accountant, I find this very hard to believe unless he is taking steps to defraud the government. Even business owners are often confused. He said he didn't pay anything in, but he would have to pay in quarterly taxes from the business, so I'm guessing he did but overpaid by $500. Every individuals situation is unique (to a certain extent), but I'm struggling with this scenario.

Quarterly taxes suck. So over it. At least there's a whole bunch of write offs to negate it.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:36 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,532,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Evading taxes and getting tax cuts are two different things.

Donating to charity or contributing to a 401k plan, last time I checked, allows you to pay less in taxes. Just gotta put it down in your tax return. But you still pay taxes. It's the amount you pay that is lower than what others will pay.

Is there anything wrong with paying less in taxes? You basically get rewarded for contributing money.

I think what pisses a lot of middle class people off is the corporate tax and real estate tax. People investing in real estate and who own a business pay less tax because they own an asset. That house that you bought will provide housing for either yourself, someone you know, or somebody else. That business you own will provide jobs for other people. So you get rewarded for creating opportunity for others.

Correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
Tax cut and a tax evasion are effectively the same thing. When you lobby for a tax cut and get said cut, those services that the taxes were slated to pay for still need to be paid for or need to be cut. Either way, it's just legalized theft.

And as far as your blurb about trickle down economics; Trickle down doesn't work. Companies have had record profits and it's not going to the workers. It's going to stock buy backs.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:38 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,532,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
That's right Bernie Boy. I will bet 99% of people with a retirement absolutely own GOOGL. You seem to be a big cheerleader for Vanguard. They just happen to be the largest holder of GOOGL. So, yes even a Bernie Boy owns GOOGL. HA HA HA
The flaw in your logic is that you assume many people own Vanguard index funds. Most don't.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:41 PM

15,781 posts, read 14,377,714 times
They legally avoid taxes. They follow the law, they just use it as much as possible to pay as little as possible. Most people do whatever they can to avoid taxes. Many people move to NV to avoid state taxes. There's nothing wrong with this.

Tax evasion, OTOH is illegal. Actively breaking the law to conceal income or otherwise illegally not pay taxes.

Quote:
So you recognize that businesses are evading paying taxes. If I steal $10 from you, but give you $1 back, should you be happy?

That's the argument you've provided to accept tax evasion.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:43 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,084,195 times
LMMFAO. This dude really just said that avoiding paying taxes was theft.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Taxation is the only theft taking place.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The flaw in your logic is that you assume many people own Vanguard index funds. Most don't.
Most people with a retirement fund of any kind own the big bad GOOGL. Even Bernie Boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas