U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 PM

42 posts, read 57,957 times

Advertisements

Besides the $100-200 price difference in the initial cost, is there a really good reason to step up to 5 stage? Any real health benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 AM
EA

6,272 posts, read 5,299,471 times
Well, it's 1 more.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 6 days ago)

5,882 posts, read 6,074,581 times
Not really. Even the Culligan guy told me he doesn’t think there’s any reason. He put a 5 stage at home just to test it and because he’s a “water nerd,” but he said there’s just not a compelling reason to spend the extra unless you really feel like it. I sure didn’t see any $100-200 difference haha it was in the thousands for a true carbon system with the NASA level purification. His water from home had a measure of 4 on particulate matter, mine was 458 (new build, we aren’t living there yet so it’s not like I’ve drank that ha ha). The ice maker we have apparently measured 35, after filtration, which he said was very good. Anything under 50 should be fine really.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 AM

42 posts, read 57,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Not really. Even the Culligan guy told me he doesnít think thereís any reason. He put a 5 stage at home just to test it and because heís a ďwater nerd,Ē but he said thereís just not a compelling reason to spend the extra unless you really feel like it. I sure didnít see any $100-200 difference haha it was in the thousands for a true carbon system with the NASA level purification. His water from home had a measure of 4 on particulate matter, mine was 458 (new build, we arenít living there yet so itís not like Iíve drank that ha ha). The ice maker we have apparently measured 35, after filtration, which he said was very good. Anything under 50 should be fine really.
Thank you.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 AM

This stuff was all new to me. The dude insisted on doing this 3 hour presentation that felt like high school chemistry class. Most painful thing ever when I had a lot else to be doing. But now I know a lot more than I wanted about purified water.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 AM

1,426 posts, read 904,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Well, it's 1 more.

Excellent Spinal Tap allusion.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:33 AM

2,570 posts, read 665,644 times
Quote:
His water from home had a measure of 4 on particulate matter, mine was 458 (new build, we aren’t living there yet so it’s not like I’ve drank that ha ha). The ice maker we have apparently measured 35, after filtration, which he said was very good. Anything under 50 should be fine really.
There are two different concepts:
  • particulates, which can be filtered out. Particulates are in suspension in the water.
  • dissolved solids and dissolved gases. These are not particulates. They cannot be filtered out.

The first stage in an RO system is a particulate filter, sometimes called a sediment filter. They typically filter down to about 5 microns. For comparison purposes, a single human red blood cell is about 5 microns in diameter. Take a single human hair, and if you had the ability to cut it in half length ways, then cut each half in half (so you have 4 strands), then cut each of those in half (8 strands), then cut each of THOSE in half (16 strands) and then cut each of THOSE in half (32 strands) and then they skinny enough to it through a 5 micron filter.

The second stage in an RO system is a carbon block that absorbs chlorine and other trace things. It exists mostly to protect the third stage, as chlorine damages the RO semi-permeable membrane used as stage 3.

The third stage is the actual RO semi-permeable membrane. It is not a filter, but many people think about it as if it were. It exists to block dissolved solids such as table salt (the individual NA and CL ions don't pass through) and dissolved hardness minerals (mostly calcium, but traces of many other minerals). Because calcium and table salt are dissolved, a filter will not remove them.

The fourth stage is another carbon block that absorbs in left over things that could give the water any taste (pure water is tasteless).

That's all you need.

A 5 stage system puts 2 carbon blocks before the RO membrane in contrast to the 4 stage's single carbon block before the RO membrane. It is a bit of overkill.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 08-11-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 AM

2,570 posts, read 665,644 times
As an aside, with any RO system, you need to change some of its components every year or so, just as you change the motor oil filter in your car.

There are two general types of ways to change these. One uses "quick connect" cartridges. They are convenient. The other type uses plastic housings you must unscrew in order to access the components you change.

I've had both. Both work fine insofar as generating clean drinking water. I prefer to spend a few extra bucks on an RO system that uses the "quick connect" style as you are less likely to spill water under the sink.

Las Vegas water comes from Lake Mead, and is typically about 700+ parts per million in total dissolved solids. It is perfectly safe to drink. Water coming from a newly installed under the kitchen sink RO system will typically be about 20-ish parts per million, and also is perfectly safe to drink.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Good explanations! I personally would rather not drink unfiltered water, I mean just because the EPA says something is “safe to drink” doesn’t mean it’s safe to drink for years and years and couldn’t possibly have any ill effects. It’s iffy to me. But better not to risk it, frankly.

Yeah I totally agree though about the cartridge changes! I heard that some are a bit of a pain to change and I was happy he mentioned it being quick connect type of changes.

This is off topic but since you know so much about this stuff, do you really need to change air filters for HVAC every month?? In most climates I’ve heard 3-4 months, and these filters (house has 4 of them) are expensive at a monthly change of 4 haha.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM

632 posts, read 579,261 times
Quote:
Good explanations! I personally would rather not drink unfiltered water, I mean just because the EPA says something is “safe to drink” doesn’t mean it’s safe to drink for years and years and couldn’t possibly have any ill effects. It’s iffy to me. But better not to risk it, frankly.

Yeah I totally agree though about the cartridge changes! I heard that some are a bit of a pain to change and I was happy he mentioned it being quick connect type of changes.

This is off topic but since you know so much about this stuff, do you really need to change air filters for HVAC every month?? In most climates I’ve heard 3-4 months, and these filters (house has 4 of them) are expensive at a monthly change of 4 haha.

Take a close look at the air filters after a month and decide if and when you need to change them. Visual inspection is a good way to know when it's time. When I moved into my house, it had been unoccupied for six months and they had the Nest thermostat set to use the fan many hours a day to keep the air circulating since the temperature was set higher than normal (no one was living in the house). When I got on a ladder to inspect/change the filters, I was horrified, they were black and so clogged there was no way much air could have been passing through them.

I've been in the house now for about 10 weeks and the filters look like they need to be replaced. I pushed it past the one month time frame to see when they started looking dirty and clogged.

Costco has packages of filters for a decent price. And they have the best price on Top Tier gas in town.

Vegas is really dusty because of the lack of rain and it's so dry. Another factor is all the new home construction, lots of it going on in my neighborhood, probably yours too. When I go out on my back porch/patio, I have to dust off the table, chairs, grill etc to be able to use any of it. I'll be glad when the construction is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas