U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:53 AM

12,112 posts, read 23,675,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Off?! In the summer? You must be crazy haha.
house never went above 78. its off for less than 6 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM

2,491 posts, read 638,796 times
I set the thermostats to 79 when we go out. About a half-hour before we return, I log in & set them to my desired temperature.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM

625 posts, read 575,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthp223 View Post
Everything Iíve read or researched says itís more efficient to set and leave at whatever temperature your comfortable at. Also when you do repeatedly turn it off itís much harder on your AC unit to catch back up.

That's what I've always heard. I'm home most of the time (semi-retired, work from home) and have it set at 75 degrees. I don't change it unless I'm gone for more than a day. If I'm only gone for 4-8 hours, I don't see the point of letting it go up a few degrees and then make it work to cool it back down.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:09 PM

53 posts, read 16,176 times
What's the latest and greatest in remotely adjustable thermostats these days? And, do management companies care if you install one in a rental unit?

Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM

10,002 posts, read 22,277,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
What's the latest and greatest in remotely adjustable thermostats these days? And, do management companies care if you install one in a rental unit?

You could probably install it in your unit as long as you put theirs back before you move out.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM

95 posts, read 67,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
As a landlord, I wouldn't care if my tenant installs one, so long they don't ask me to repair it if it's broken and put mine back when they leave.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:54 PM

53 posts, read 16,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You could probably install it in your unit as long as you put theirs back before you move out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTee_ View Post
As a landlord, I wouldn't care if my tenant installs one, so long they don't ask me to repair it if it's broken and put mine back when they leave.
That's what I figured. Seems like they're so common now that it would not be unusual for a renter to want to install one. Is the Nest 3 the way to go? Seems like everyone is making some variation these days.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 11 minutes ago)

5,844 posts, read 6,052,239 times
Smart thermostats spoil you too much to ever go back. The idea of getting off the couch just to change the temperature is awful. What is this 2009?!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:59 PM

5,841 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Unless you are going to be gone for more than a couple of days keep this rule in mind.

Don't touch the thingy on the wall.

44inarow. Probably doesn't make a big difference considering size but a homeowner should leave it alone.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM

777 posts, read 314,238 times
The laws of physics say that the greater the temp difference is outside, the faster you will lose conditioned air outside. With no inside HVAC, the indoors and outdoors will eventually reach equilibrium.

So, if you're a science person, then it stands to reason that the longer you keep the air temp inside colder inside, the faster you will lose that cold air to outside, which means the AC will run more to keep the inside cool. The same principal applies to heating.

Its impossible for an AC to expend more time running to cool the place down again than it would have if it kept running the whole time, even if it ran less.

AC units do not "work harder" to cool a place down or any other such nonsense when they've been left off for an extended period of time. AC units, generally speaking unless you have some fancy variable speed or 2 stage system(never seen one here), run and remove heat at a fixed rate. They are either on or off. The only difference is how often the AC thermostat calls for the compressor to turn on and off.

If you are in a newer, well insulated house, it may be hard to tell, and the difference in strategies may be indiscernible in your bill (margin of error). If your house has a penchant for getting too hot, and its a comfort issue, you may want to just leave it running or only change it up a few degrees.

People who say the unit runs and runs probably have one of the following: no insulation(built 1990 or earlier with no upgrades), a malfunctioning unit, or an improperly sized unit. Though around here, from what I have seen, AC installers have a penchant for installing grossly oversized units, so if its really not keeping up, its probably broken and you or your landlord won't admit it.

I spent my first couple years playing with my fancy thermostat just to satisfy my own curiosities and by far, the cheapest strategy was to setup geolocation with an app on my phone that would turn off the AC if I left a 3 mile radius of my house for longer than 20 minutes, and to turn it back on as soon as I re-entered that zone.

My home is 2039 sqft 2 story with low-e, double pane windows... probably "energy star" from the early 2000's (I didn't build it, but its _fairly_ well insulated). I have a 15 SEER unit, 5 tons, and my energy bills in the summer are around $170-$180/mth to keep the house at 78 during the day, 82 when I'm gone for a while, and 75 at night for sleep(or sometimes a little lower, like 71 or 72). If I go on an extended vacay I leave it at 85, mainly to keep electronics and perishables cool. In particular, I've found a strong correlation between house temp and electronics failures to include CFL and LED light bulbs, but I've had other problems like food products and candles, chapsticks, stuff like that melting even in the mid-80s. Keep in mind, I also have a decent size pool with a pump that runs that I estimate eats up about $50/mth alone.

I close vents in unused or mostly unused areas with doors that can be shut like storage, laundry, extra bedrooms, bathrooms, & closets. In the winter, I do run heat in bathrooms and laundry for both comfort and also "just in case" of freezing. Probably my own paranoia living in the desert, but I was born in the NE and it does occasionally freeze here-- probably not really necessary unless you know we're going to stay in the 20's or lower for a few days.

The older unit was a 13 SEER and was about the same. Maybe slightly more expensive by $10-$15/mth.

I my opinion, both are oversized. Even on the hottest day here at like 72 the units would run about 9-10 hours when theoretically, it should be running all day. This isn't necessarily bad, either. Smaller units use substantially less energy than larger ones, even if they run longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or