U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 PM

12,127 posts, read 23,707,525 times

Advertisements

Also prepare for sticker shock for plates. Going to be about $750 a year if you have a base model
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 2,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Also prepare for sticker shock for plates. Going to be about $750 a year if you have a base model
I did the estimator and it is going to be about $823

Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 PM

I go this back from my email.

Since you registered it once out of state and this will be the second registration, you are not required to obtain a smog test for the vehicle. Starting next year you will be required to obtain an annual smog, but not this year. For more information on registration requirements.

BUT my concern is my NJ registration was for 2 years, so I think I am just going to get it done to be on the safe side.

My wife bought her car on the same day, so will be able to see If I can at least save the Smog Check for her registration when she gets out here (coming after our house closes in NJ next week).

Old 08-17-2019, 12:40 AM

59 posts, read 18,652 times
Hate to thread jack but, if I'm moving from Bay Area CA to NV, would it be advantageous to just fly to Reno to buy a truck/SUV and drive it back behind the iron curtain before I move? I currently have a daily driver sedan and a Class B RV that I would sell here. Looking to end up with a pickup truck or maybe a 4Runner type of vehicle.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:41 AM

10,013 posts, read 22,299,850 times
When you do get the smog check, make sure the person doing it closes your hood all the way. We had ours done on Tuesday. We were flying down the freeway yesterday morning and our hood was bouncing up and down...luckily we pulled over to check it and close it tightly before continuing on. My husband said that in some cases they can fly off and do worse damage. I never knew that. So everyone always check your hoods after a smog check before you drive away.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 AM

36 posts, read 37,717 times
Well I’ll be damned, learn something new everyday !

I’d print that out and take it with you for sure but hell, save the $20 for a cocktail later after your done fooling around with all that or whatever makes you happy.

I’ve actually been to NV DMV 3 times this year, stolen plate off my trailer, classic vehicle plates and 1 new registration for the wife truck.

All three times I went at 6am, waited it out, got the numbered ticket, gone straight to the desk with a dmv person and out in 15 minutes or less and all have been really pleasant folks.

Good luck and Welcome to what’s left of our Great State ! Battleborn !

Old 08-17-2019, 11:06 AM

12,127 posts, read 23,707,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fligster View Post
I go this back from my email.

Since you registered it once out of state and this will be the second registration, you are not required to obtain a smog test for the vehicle. Starting next year you will be required to obtain an annual smog, but not this year. For more information on registration requirements.

BUT my concern is my NJ registration was for 2 years, so I think I am just going to get it done to be on the safe side.

My wife bought her car on the same day, so will be able to see If I can at least save the Smog Check for her registration when she gets out here (coming after our house closes in NJ next week).
the time is irrelevant. Bring any car into Nevada, and you need a smog when registered for the first time. you also will need a vin inspection. I believe that the smog is waived only on 1 year old or less

Old 08-18-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the time is irrelevant. Bring any car into Nevada, and you need a smog when registered for the first time. you also will need a vin inspection. I believe that the smog is waived only on 1 year old or less
I think I would be OK "maybe", but I am sure to the person at the DMV probably could care less about the email from someone in customer service or whatnot. I am just going to do the smog check since not too expensive (especially compared to registration costs). I made an appointment, earliest is a week out.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 PM

I checked again and had gotten an appointment for this afternoon. I registered my car and I did not need a smog check and I asked and she said 2018 and 2019 models didn't need. I had a 3:00 and it took about 35 minutes total once I was caled which was around 3:00. It would of been quicker but the computer was acting up.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:48 PM

1,479 posts, read 4,164,175 times
Cars should not need to get smog tested until at least 5 years old, the law needs to be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or