U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,219 posts, read 1,612,184 times
Reputation: 1730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
This seems ok to me, Amazon and Google jobs provide good diversification and would help buoy the economy in a recession. I even read yesterday that Amazon is expanding into Henderson and building another center next to the Raider's HQ, so once these names establish a presence in an area they can easily expand and/or relocate more operations over time, which appears is what they are doing.

As for $200k jobs, making $200k would be nice to make anywhere in the US, but it's most likely going to be found in a high COL area like LA or SF, where even $100k doesn't go very far. I think as long as the job pays decent relative to the local COL, whatever it may be, you're ahead.
Most of those low paying jobs will be gone once Amazon automates all of its warehouses. That means thousands of people out of work in Las Vegas within the next 5-10 years.

The global economy is in a little bit of strife, there will be a recession. Hopefully it won't be a devastating one. Lots of central banks around the world have taken preemptive action to soften the blow by reducing rates well before the media even had a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:04 PM
 
Location: North Las Vegas
445 posts, read 340,826 times
Reputation: 359
It would be unprecedented if the next recession will be even close to the one in 2009. During the last recession in Vegas, housing prices dropped up to 60%. A once in a lifetime event for most people. Just don't see how the next one could be as bad since most of the shady lending practices have disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:17 PM
 
624 posts, read 157,571 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Most of those low paying jobs will be gone once Amazon automates all of its warehouses. That means thousands of people out of work in Las Vegas within the next 5-10 years.

The global economy is in a little bit of strife, there will be a recession. Hopefully it won't be a devastating one. Lots of central banks around the world have taken preemptive action to soften the blow by reducing rates well before the media even had a clue.
Not true, Amazon is in the process of training 100k employees for future nature, and sending more to college. Just a start they will upskill more in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM
 
624 posts, read 157,571 times
Reputation: 253
https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject....ss-owners.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
154 posts, read 61,880 times
Reputation: 149
Manufacturing shrinks, raising questions for Trump

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...ions-for-trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,219 posts, read 1,612,184 times
Reputation: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
It would be unprecedented if the next recession will be even close to the one in 2009. During the last recession in Vegas, housing prices dropped up to 60%. A once in a lifetime event for most people. Just don't see how the next one could be as bad since most of the shady lending practices have disappeared.
If you take a look at recessions and house prices, they aren't really correlated.

Not sure why people are mentioning house prices, is that what people are worried about?

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I assume the wealth Gap is at its widest its ever been. Doesn't exactly sound like a great economy, unless your last name is Walton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,219 posts, read 1,612,184 times
Reputation: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Not true, Amazon is in the process of training 100k employees for future nature, and sending more to college. Just a start they will upskill more in the future.
How can you say not true when this hasn't even happened yet?

Amazon took away a lot of the funding benefits for employee education when they raised their minimum wage to $15/hr.

If you don't think automation will eliminate thousands of jobs, then you haven't been keeping up with the Kardashians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 AM
 
624 posts, read 157,571 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
How can you say not true when this hasn't even happened yet?

Amazon took away a lot of the funding benefits for employee education when they raised their minimum wage to $15/hr.

If you don't think automation will eliminate thousands of jobs, then you haven't been keeping up with the Kardashians
Point is, big, bad, evil Amazon is very willing to help those who aren't lazy bums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM
 
624 posts, read 157,571 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
Manufacturing shrinks, raising questions for Trump

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...ions-for-trump
You didnt even read your own link did you? Hate baby, hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Southern Highlands
1,413 posts, read 899,611 times
Reputation: 1187
Quote:
It would be unprecedented if the next recession will be even close to the one in 2009.

So, 2009 would be a ... precedent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top