Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,781,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Any jobs destroyed are likely to be replaced by new jobs created that have higher value-add. Just like always. Same as it ever was.
It really isn't this time. I initially thought the same, but smarter people than me (Musk, et al) are saying jobs will be wiped out. It's worrisome for our future generations.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,048,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Not sure why you are bothering with any sensible talk.

Tax rates are much higher in countries with a good healthcare system, it's not just Nordic countries and other European countries, take Australia for example.

Unfortunately America won't stand for higher tax rates because it takes away too much money from the rich and ultra rich.

I have agreed with every post you made in this thread. It is nice to see someone else who actually has the same mindset as me, which is rare in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Sure, it's great until the government can't pay for it anymore. Read the rest of the article. And Google "Finland Healthcare Collapse".

I'm not saying our healthcare system doesn't need reform. But the idyllic Nordic system has its issues too. Let's not be blind to that.

I do not remember where I said the Nordic countries have a perfect healthcare system with no problems. That would be impossible. What I am saying is they have both a superior healthcare system and a higher quality of life than here in the United States. That cannot be disputed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The value of retirement plans is up. The value of 401Ks, which had been decimated under the disastrous economic policies of the Obama regime, are now at all-time highs. Ditto for IRAs. Yes, it is a great economy.

This is flat out wrong. Here is it corrected.

"The value of retirement plans is up. The value of 401Ks, which had been decimated under the disastrous economic policies of the Clinton and Bush regime, are now at all-time highs. Ditto for IRAs. Yes, it is a great economy."

Obama took Office in January 2009 and left office in January 2017. What were the values of 401k's and IRA's when Obama took office and when he left? According to you, the values of 401k's and IRA's were higher in 2009 than in 2017. I should also add that Trump is still in office. Everything looked great in 2007 while Bush was still in office. Trump's performance cannot be fully evaluated until he is out of office.

I am going to add that Clinton and Bush both had a role in the economic crisis that resulted in 2008-2009. Namely, the subprime housing crisis was caused by policies that were instituted under Clinton, but did not cause the crash until 10 years later. To say that Obama had a role in the crisis that caused the value of 401k's and IRA's to plummet, which happened before he even took office, is preposterous.

Last edited by Katie the heartbreaker; 08-21-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 PM

386 posts, read 258,720 times
US has 501,000 fewer jobs than first reported

https://www.apnews.com/bac6a76b8c0d4f8897d2c8612d2b5bfd

Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,393,657 times
Default Uuuuuugh!! Not again!

That last recession was brutal. Home prices in the Vegas went from like 275K down to 100K in only 3 years time and so many people lost their houses. It was very sad. All the jobs disappeared and everyone was broke . I really hope that doesn't happen again. Don;t worry the next correction will be a "SOFT LANDING"

Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
That last recession was brutal. Home prices in the Vegas went from like 275K down to 100K in only 3 years time and so many people lost their houses. It was very sad. All the jobs disappeared and everyone was broke . I really hope that doesn't happen again. Don;t worry the next correction will be a "SOFT LANDING"

That is a generalization that again is not correct. All the jobs did not disappear and not everyone was broke. I had a stable job, rented, and had no investments. Life for me got much better as gas and rents plummeted, as it did for many others. My sister back in Salt Lake City, Utah did really, really well. She bought her first house for $65,000 which was a 4 bedroom house. Try that today in this "great" economy. She kept her job throughout the whole ordeal. If you want an extreme example, ask John Paulson, the hedge funder, how badly he was affected by the recession. For every winner, there is a loser. Wealth is never destroyed, it gets transferred to another.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,009,084 times
Quote:
I do not remember where I said the Nordic countries have a perfect healthcare system with no problems. That would be impossible. What I am saying is they have both a superior healthcare system and a higher quality of life than here in the United States. That cannot be disputed.

I dispute it. https://www.thelocal.se/20181126/sui...-swedish-youth

Old 08-21-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

That is a worldwide trend.

https://www.latimes.com/science/la-s...618-story.html

You are disputing happiness, correct? Overall, the Nordic countries blow away the United States in overall happiness. They do it year after year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegw.../#1d394b6d23fa

I am surprised someone on Forbes would admit this. From the article.

"Why are the Nordic countries so happy? The usual explanations are that while taxes are high, they go to making life measurably better and more secure: there’s high quality free healthcare and education. There's ample parental leave, and labor market models that protect against a lot of anxiety around jobs and job loss."

I am still waiting on the guy who wants to say that Obama's policies decimated IRA's and 401k's. I showed the owner of the house where I live in that, who actually has a 401k through the Mandalay Bay, and he too got a big laugh about that. There is a lot of TDS going on with people on this forum, and it is the conservatives who are infected with it, not the liberals.

Last edited by Katie the heartbreaker; 08-21-2019 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 01:35 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,688,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I don't recall you bring an expert in the Las Vegas economy.

I have friend who bought a house in Henderson 15 years ago for $320k. At its lowest point, the house was worth about $250k. Now? Probably $375-$400k. So don't be so "worried".

Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,586,420 times
Oh there’s a lot of BS here alright and it’s bleeding heart liberals who think happiness is other people’s money! There is no free lunch. If you want healthcare, YOU pay for healthcare. Just like anything else you want. Happiness is NOT higher in Nordic countries, that myth has been totally dispelled again and again. Google it. I’m not doing your research for you. Their standard of living is pathetic, far below even lower middle class here. Those people live the most meager lives imaginable. No thanks! Life isn’t about just existing it’s about living well.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Oh there’s a lot of BS here alright and it’s bleeding heart liberals who think happiness is other people’s money! There is no free lunch. If you want healthcare, YOU pay for healthcare. Just like anything else you want. Happiness is NOT higher in Nordic countries, that myth has been totally dispelled again and again. Google it. I’m not doing your research for you. Their standard of living is pathetic, far below even lower middle class here. Those people live the most meager lives imaginable. No thanks! Life isn’t about just existing it’s about living well.

In other words, the bleeding liberals are wrong because I say so. I cannot provide any proof of it, while they can, but they are wrong. The statistics say they are right, but they are wrong. You do the research yourself, because I cannot find anything to prove my point, but I am right. There are no homeless people in Finland, while the United States is flooded with them as they die on the street. Finland houses them, while the United States feeds them needles. What a great country we are. By the way, I did some research on living standards and found this below which completely contradicts what you are saying. The United States does not even make the list as usual. When I was a kid, I was told that the United States is the best country in the world. I think we all were. As I have gotten older and more informed, I realize it is not true.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

I forget to mention healthcare. I pay my taxes and get free healthcare, as I should through medicaid. I am not so selfish as to think I have it, so screw everyone else. That is the conservative's mindset, not mine. Everyone should have free healthcare here, not just the poor, disabled and elderly. Medicare for all!

EA had told me I should listen to Peter Schiff as he is very smart. I am open-minded, so although he is a conservative, he is not on the Trump train and I have been following him. One thing he keeps saying is the everything bubble is going to burst under Trump, conservatives are going to get the blame, and then we are going to get a hardcore far leftest as our next president. Then the country will dramatically change like it did under FDR. I certainly hope he is right! I will always love Bernie Sanders, but I am really liking Andew Yang as of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas