U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,307,961 times

Advertisements

Larry Brown and Weekly voted NO, the rest of them voted for it. Remember this come election time. I am fine with them extending the sales tax on the water infrastructure indefinitely. We can SEE where that is going and needed. We all use water, so it affects all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM

695 posts, read 488,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Larry Brown and Weekly voted NO, the rest of them voted for it. Remember this come election time. I am fine with them extending the sales tax on the water infrastructure indefinitely. We can SEE where that is going and needed. We all use water, so it affects all of us.
You are incredibly naive to think that anyone other than Democrats will be running this city/state for the rest of your life. Embrace it or perish.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,307,961 times
Trust me I know the uphill battle with this, but I can only do my part. If other people took an active interest in these decisions that affect all of us, just maybe things would be different.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:15 PM

2,764 posts, read 741,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
For example, my company has a business account with OfficeDepot to order all supplies. When I go to their portal, there are items on there that are more expensive to purchase at the "corporate discount" than if I were to walk into a store and pick up a single item.
At a Fortune 50 company, we had a similar arrangement with a nationwide office supply chain. Unseen to rank and file employees was an end-of-year behind-the-scenes settle up where the office supply chain paid X% of total purchases back to my employer. There was a similar deal with major airlines (United, American, Alaska), Hertz, and to modest (not luxury) hotel brands.

This was all pre-Great Recession, so things may well have changed.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:53 PM

185 posts, read 75,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
At a Fortune 50 company, we had a similar arrangement with a nationwide office supply chain. Unseen to rank and file employees was an end-of-year behind-the-scenes settle up where the office supply chain paid X% of total purchases back to my employer. There was a similar deal with major airlines (United, American, Alaska), Hertz, and to modest (not luxury) hotel brands.

This was all pre-Great Recession, so things may well have changed.
So they were cooking their books eh?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Trust me I know the uphill battle with this, but I can only do my part. If other people took an active interest in these decisions that affect all of us, just maybe things would be different.
What on earth could you be battling?

Elections in this country are nothing more than a demographic head count. Every demographic outside of whites vote 70% democratic or higher. Whites make up less than 25% of the students in CCSD.

The only decision we have anymore is how far left is this country going to go and will the right ever push back.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:56 PM

2,783 posts, read 3,084,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
Understood. I'm 100% for the teachers getting what was agreed upon. That's why they should open the books to scrutinize where the money goes because I'm sure there are some pork-laden contracts with suppliers and service providers.
And, what do you want to bet that those "suppliers" and "service providers" belong to a certain church with headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah?

That's why any proposal to open the books and have a public audit will never see the light of day in a place like Las Vegas, where the Church of Salt Lake controls most of the politics.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,084,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Further, it's common for many govt employees to "double dip". They retire after X number of years, then get hired as a consultant doing the same job while drawing their pension.

These retirement benefits are a huge source of our budgetary problems at all levels of government across the nation.
You can thank the Baby Boomer generation for that BS !

Then, in 10 years, when they retire for a second time, there won't be enough money for incoming workers. They'll force incoming Millennials and Gen Zr's to pay their own retirements and pay their own benefits, with no employer contributions to either.

The Boomers have been THEE worst generation when it comes to, what I like to call "bombing out" government positions and jobs. That is, take the horse they were given and ride it to death, then ride it while its dying and on its last breath, then tell the next guy who needs a horse "...so sorry, this one don't work anymore...better go buy your own!"

America went from having a "greatest generation" to a "greediest generation" in the span of 20 years.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM

This is common in education. There are several teachers I worked with that retired, only to come back because there was a shortage in the subject.

Now they're collecting 75% of their salary through the pension, in addition to their salary through the district which is at the top of the payscale given their experience. Their annual income is more than 3x what Millennial teachers make.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,253,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Further, it's common for many govt employees to "double dip". They retire after X number of years, then get hired as a consultant doing the same job while drawing their pension.
I don't get what the issue is here? If they are entitled to a pension, why should they not be able to continue working and earn more? No different than a person saving money and then drawing off their savings and continuing to work.

Quote:
Or maybe people do have an active interest, but they don't share your view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas