Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 12:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,181 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a single guy and working professional in my 30's currently living in the SF Bay Area. I'm trying to find an apartment in Las Vegas or nearby city. I'm unable to apartment hunt in person and the virtual apartment tours are killing me. Can you tell me where the nice neighborhoods and apartments are? Also, which areas to avoid? It needs to be close enough to the strip for family and friends when they come visit, but I don't care about the strip myself. Less than 20 miles from the strip is preferable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 02:38 AM

355 posts, read 211,617 times
Welcome to the forum CeeMan, and welcome to Las Vegas.

I just moved here from SF in March. I would highly recommend doing Airbnb or VRBO for your first month if you can. It will be a little more expensive for that one month but it can save you many headaches. I rented an Airbnb in the north Spring Valley area (fairly centrally located) for the month of March, and am very thankful that I did. It gave me plenty of time to find a great apartment without having to rush around like a crazy person. Had I flown out for an apartment hunting weekend in advance, I would have spent the same amount on flights/hotel/food as I did on the Airbnb.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:07 PM

153 posts, read 247,678 times
I was completely ignorant of the different neighborhoods when I decided to move here from NYC 2.5 years ago. I knew exactly ONE person who lived here and she advised the NW valley, specifically Summerlin. Now with some time here under my belt I'm glad I took her advice. It's a relatively new area with low crime and decent access to ski areas and Downtown. The Airbnb is probably a good idea if you want to shop neighborhoods. I took a company transfer and knew where I was going to be working and that narrowed my choices. Good luck...hope you find a nice place.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
I was completely ignorant of the different neighborhoods when I decided to move here from NYC 2.5 years ago. I knew exactly ONE person who lived here and she advised the NW valley, specifically Summerlin. Now with some time here under my belt I'm glad I took her advice. It's a relatively new area with low crime and decent access to ski areas and Downtown. The Airbnb is probably a good idea if you want to shop neighborhoods. I took a company transfer and knew where I was going to be working and that narrowed my choices. Good luck...hope you find a nice place.
Thank you for the response! Are you familiar with Bella Solara Apartments or Altessa Apartments? I was looking at those two places and it looks like they're in Summerlin. Can you confirm?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCaNv View Post
Welcome to the forum CeeMan, and welcome to Las Vegas.

I just moved here from SF in March. I would highly recommend doing Airbnb or VRBO for your first month if you can. It will be a little more expensive for that one month but it can save you many headaches. I rented an Airbnb in the north Spring Valley area (fairly centrally located) for the month of March, and am very thankful that I did. It gave me plenty of time to find a great apartment without having to rush around like a crazy person. Had I flown out for an apartment hunting weekend in advance, I would have spent the same amount on flights/hotel/food as I did on the Airbnb.
Thank you for the welcome! SF is not the place to be anymore! I don't know if Vegas is, either...but won't know until I make the move. I'm not sure an Airbnb would be plausible for my situation, but thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about signing a month to month lease when I first move out there. Then, I can apartment hunt in person and move out quickly if I don't like the apartment. I know it'll be more expensive for a month to month, but not more expensive than what I'm already paying.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,674,633 times
Summerlin is one big area, so is Henderson, so is the Northwest (Centennial Hills, Providence etc). Most areas are 20 minutes from The Strip (give or take a few unless you go way out one direction or the other). Most people say to stay away from the area around Nellis AFB (the Northeast) or too close to The Strip. I'm in Seven Hills area, 89052 and like it. The District is not far away and there are lots of restaurants, basic shopping etc. I also lived in Providence and liked it. Vegas is easy to get around, but you need to spend a few weeks to a month driving around to get a feel for where you want to be.

If I had to choose between Bella Solara Apartments or Altessa Apartments just looking at the map and the websites, I'd go for Altessa. Bella Solara looks too close to I-95 to me, but I have not been to either apartment complex. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2020, 06:36 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,468,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeMan View Post
or Altessa Apartments? I was looking at those two places and it looks like they're in Summerlin. Can you confirm?
Altessa is in Summerlin, and they are in a safe area with instant freeway access (215 and Summerlin Parkway). You'll be able to get down to the strip within 10-15 minutes from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeMan View Post
I was thinking about signing a month to month lease when I first move out there. Then, I can apartment hunt in person and move out quickly if I don't like the apartment. I know it'll be more expensive for a month to month, but not more expensive than what I'm already paying.
These are some apartments near the airport that allow month to month leasing if you're interested. (while you find a more permanent residence).

https://www.holidayroyale.com

Old 08-31-2020, 07:06 PM

1,086 posts, read 738,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
Altessa is in Summerlin, and they are in a safe area with instant freeway access (215 and Summerlin Parkway). You'll be able to get down to the strip within 10-15 minutes from there.

These are some apartments near the airport that allow month to month leasing if you're interested. (while you find a more permanent residence).

https://www.holidayroyale.com

A friend of mine stayed in Holiday Royale. Granted it was 10 years ago but it was drug dealers and prostitutes at that time. Not sure I would want to stay there.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:08 PM

28 posts, read 25,290 times
I just googled Bella Solara and it appears there are two, one on Smoke Ranch Road and one way out in the Northwest. Neither is in Summerlin. The one on Smoke Ranch Road is very, very close to a large strip mall complex, which is great if you want to be walkable to a TJ Maxx.

Altessa is the better location in my opinion.

I wouldn't sign any lease anywhere until seeing the actual unit you'd be renting, live and in person.

I don't think you need to rent an AirBnB for a month though, you should be able to find a place in a few days.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:26 PM

386 posts, read 259,513 times
I'd recommend Palms at Peccole Ranch. Not sure if they've raised rates, but I know 1BRs were under $1100/mo. It's 10 minutes from Red Rock and 20-30 from the strip depending on traffic. There is a paseo attached to the back of the property where you can walk to the grocery store or play disc golf if you're into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: