U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 898 times

Advertisements

We have been renting a condo of the strip for about 4 months now and have been looking for a house in the $500,000 range. We are over 55 but husband still works, office on D.I. Near Jones. Looking to be at the max 1/2 hour from there. We still haven’t quite found anything “perfect” but did find something in a gated area of Desert Shores. We left the house and drove googled market And ended up at one on Cheyenne. Well, needless to say, I learned a good lesson; to go to the closest market to somewhere you are might want to live, I am not a snob but being older I did not feel safe walking in the shopping center.

I then found a few forums that were discussing Desert Shores “area” and found that it was on the edge of what is known to be a safe area. Then I checked crimemapping.com and saw considerable crime in the area and surrounds, and in fact, all over there through Spring Valley.

I also talked to a few realtors and one basically said she could not really comment on crime but she indicated that she lived in a guard gated community and wouldn’t live elsewhere.

So my question, am I being over-cautious in making this an absolute criteria? And, can I find some where 30 minutes of my husbands work location guard-gated in the $500,000 range? So basically, where are the “safer” areas? ...or do they not really exist here?

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 PM

128 posts, read 80,412 times
Spring Valley north of the 215 has issues here and there. Look in my area, very quiet, no real issues as to crime. Zip 89113. Driving to Jones and Di is 20 minutes at most. PM me if you need an honest up front agent

Old 09-01-2019, 09:50 PM

273 posts, read 356,300 times
Look on Realtor.com in 89134, 89135, 89138 and 89144....There’s a ton.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:14 PM

28,397 posts, read 40,277,142 times
We live in Sun City Summerlin and are 19 minutes from D. I. and Jones. Over 55. A safe place to live, and if you're looking for somewhere that will keep you active and busy this is it.

Not gated, but we've never seen any reason for a gated community. If some creep wants in they just climb a wall. And dues in a gated community are likely higher because as soon as that gate goes up the residents are responsible for the street maintenance. The city maintains them here.

Realtor dot com search for Sun City Summerlin. The search criteria is limited so I set it to 500k max.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rice-na-500000

Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 5,131,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESD2019 View Post
We have been renting a condo of the strip for about 4 months now and have been looking for a house in the $500,000 range. We are over 55 but husband still works, office on D.I. Near Jones. Looking to be at the max 1/2 hour from there. We still haven’t quite found anything “perfect” but did find something in a gated area of Desert Shores. We left the house and drove googled market And ended up at one on Cheyenne. Well, needless to say, I learned a good lesson; to go to the closest market to somewhere you are might want to live, I am not a snob but being older I did not feel safe walking in the shopping center.

I then found a few forums that were discussing Desert Shores “area” and found that it was on the edge of what is known to be a safe area. Then I checked crimemapping.com and saw considerable crime in the area and surrounds, and in fact, all over there through Spring Valley.

I also talked to a few realtors and one basically said she could not really comment on crime but she indicated that she lived in a guard gated community and wouldn’t live elsewhere.

So my question, am I being over-cautious in making this an absolute criteria? And, can I find some where 30 minutes of my husbands work location guard-gated in the $500,000 range? So basically, where are the “safer” areas? ...or do they not really exist here?

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA
As TekFreek points out Sun City Summerlin actually beats the guard gated communities. Get a pretty nice house in there for $500,000. Some other options would include the guard gated communities such as Painted Desert which will easily meet the travel time. Los Prados is also gate guarded and will get you a lot more house for $500,000. Painted Desert is not age restricted and Los Prados only partially.

If you want new and shiny Trilogy will work. Goes down to the mid 400s though many are between $500 and $600K.

You could also consider the half acres of Lone Mountain. Generally not gated but basically safe as virtually anywhere. Very low population density and a reputation that the property is likely to be well defended.

There are also a lot of very nice little gated tracts between Rainbow and Buffalo and nearby. Older and well established. Very low actually crime or problems. Some are absolutely gorgeous and less than 15 minute to Jones and DI.

My wife and I basically sell RE to the mature community. In general none of them have a crime problem.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM

102 posts, read 52,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As TekFreek points out Sun City Summerlin actually beats the guard gated communities. Get a pretty nice house in there for $500,000. Some other options would include the guard gated communities such as Painted Desert which will easily meet the travel time. Los Prados is also gate guarded and will get you a lot more house for $500,000. Painted Desert is not age restricted and Los Prados only partially.

If you want new and shiny Trilogy will work. Goes down to the mid 400s though many are between $500 and $600K.

You could also consider the half acres of Lone Mountain. Generally not gated but basically safe as virtually anywhere. Very low population density and a reputation that the property is likely to be well defended.

There are also a lot of very nice little gated tracts between Rainbow and Buffalo and nearby. Older and well established. Very low actually crime or problems. Some are absolutely gorgeous and less than 15 minute to Jones and DI.

My wife and I basically sell RE to the mature community. In general none of them have a crime problem.

Desert Shores seems like a very nice area, esp with some of the houses along the water. What type of crime is this area prone to? I checked the map OP listed, and couldn't really see anything that jumps out.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
Desert Shores seems like a very nice area, esp with some of the houses along the water. What type of crime is this area prone to? I checked the map OP listed, and couldn't really see anything that jumps out.
Virtually all the low crime areas have the same crime profile - Burglary and auto burglary and auto theft.

Desert Shores has a tract in its NW corner that is somewhat more crime prone than the rest of the community. The condos on Soaring Gull.

One more to add to the OPs list. Siena is guard gated and tightly run. It is in some ways the nicest of the 55+ housing. And like 10 minutes to DI and Jones.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM

102 posts, read 52,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Virtually all the low crime areas have the same crime profile - Burglary and auto burglary and auto theft.

Desert Shores has a tract in its NW corner that is somewhat more crime prone than the rest of the community. The condos on Soaring Gull.

One more to add to the OPs list. Siena is guard gated and tightly run. It is in some ways the nicest of the 55+ housing. And like 10 minutes to DI and Jones.

I agree. I currently live in an affluent area out of state, and there have been an increasing number of auto breakins and theft. Just not as safe anymore.

Are there any communities not age restricted to 55+ that you can recommend? Any communities in the Summerlin area that are relatively crime free?

Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
I agree. I currently live in an affluent area out of state, and there have been an increasing number of auto breakins and theft. Just not as safe anymore.

Are there any communities not age restricted to 55+ that you can recommend? Any communities in the Summerlin area that are relatively crime free?
Virtually any of the tracts around central north Summerlin. Those off Rampart or Alta or Hualapai. Adjacent to the TPC golf course will work. Tournament Hills, Corta Bella, Eagle Hills. There are a dozen or more.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 PM

643 posts, read 174,877 times
I'm also a real estate agent. PM me if you would like to know which realtors on this site have been sued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or