U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 6,352,035 times

Advertisements

took our trash and recycle cans out early around before midnight, and a wind storm started blowing and knocked them over. they're back in the garage now lol.

southeast henderson, after midnight 9-2-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 AM
Status: "My status is taking a vacation." (set 9 hours ago)

10,026 posts, read 22,315,720 times
When it's windy, we don't put the trash/recycle out overnight. Always in the morning only. When it's too windy, the recycle container stays in the back yard until it's full. Otherwise, we will never see it again. Our street is a wind tunnel, coming from the north.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 6,352,035 times
only a light breeze when i rolled them out, and that changed quickly!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:27 PM

1,100 posts, read 738,891 times
Been there, done that back in 2002. Everyone's trash and containers were all at the end of the street

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,324,766 times
Fortunately in my neighborhood Republic Services traded our loose bins for wheeled carts with attached lids a year or so ago. It seemed that I could always count on the wind getting up the night before recycle day, with me having a bunch of light stuff sitting out in open bins. Now I don't worry about the wind, because the cart isn't going anywhere. No more checking in the morning to see if half of my stuff has blown against the neighbors'' fences.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

27 posts, read 6,852 times
Ha, the wind is the one thing I dislike about the weather out here. Even in a suit, I don't mind the heat; rain/snow, just grab an umbrella; if it's cold, I can wear a coat. But the wind is just a pain to try to mitigate.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

13,314 posts, read 5,097,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44inarow View Post
Ha, the wind is the one thing I dislike about the weather out here. Even in a suit, I don't mind the heat; rain/snow, just grab an umbrella; if it's cold, I can wear a coat. But the wind is just a pain to try to mitigate.
This comes up periodically. But it is not real. At worst LV has moderate winds. Try Chicago or NY or Detroit or ...

Old Today, 12:33 AM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 17 days ago)

5,913 posts, read 6,104,912 times
Yeah the wind is rarely an issue at all. I think some people are just incredibly sensitive to any breeze but the average wind is moderate and below many US cities. There was one very windy night, I think it was last Saturday or Friday? I can’t recall but you could hear it pounding the windows for about an hour or so and whistling around. It still didn’t move anything I had outside though, it was just noisy and then disappeared. Otherwise there was almost no wind for like 10 days.

Old Today, 03:57 AM

17,624 posts, read 21,510,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This comes up periodically. But it is not real. At worst LV has moderate winds. Try Chicago or NY or Detroit or ...
Google Windiest Cities in the Country, some time, and see where Las Vegas is on the list. Last time I looked the annual average windspeed for Las Vegas was 9.2MPH, highest being Cheyenne, WY at 13.9 and lowest, tied between Phoenix and Los Angeles at 6.2MPH. Not enough wind, and then comes the smog.

And no, Chicago isn't much windier than Las Vegas. Chicago only got dubbed Windy City because of the journalists coming to visit Chicago and the people there couldn't brag enough about what a great city it was. That kind of "wind".

Boston, on the list, was a big surprise, didn't realize Boston was so windy! Lowest average annual windspeeds are in Medford, OR @4.5MPH.

Here, in Tucson, we don't get near the wind that Las Vegas gets. Loving every minute of it.

Anyone that downplays the wind factor in Las Vegas, is probably a RE agent trying to lure people to move there.

Last edited by tijlover; Today at 04:07 AM..

Old Today, 09:00 AM

13,314 posts, read 5,097,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Google Windiest Cities in the Country, some time, and see where Las Vegas is on the list. Last time I looked the annual average windspeed for Las Vegas was 9.2MPH, highest being Cheyenne, WY at 13.9 and lowest, tied between Phoenix and Los Angeles at 6.2MPH. Not enough wind, and then comes the smog.

And no, Chicago isn't much windier than Las Vegas. Chicago only got dubbed Windy City because of the journalists coming to visit Chicago and the people there couldn't brag enough about what a great city it was. That kind of "wind".

Boston, on the list, was a big surprise, didn't realize Boston was so windy! Lowest average annual windspeeds are in Medford, OR @4.5MPH.

Here, in Tucson, we don't get near the wind that Las Vegas gets. Loving every minute of it.

Anyone that downplays the wind factor in Las Vegas, is probably a RE agent trying to lure people to move there.
Please Tij. This has been kicked to death. The average Lass Vegas wind speed is more than 10% lower than Chicago's. There are very few eastern or Midwestern cities with a lower average wind speed than LV.

And no it is not a big sales point for LV. Just another of the places where LV is average. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas