U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:58 AM
Status: "Living in PA but planning to leave in 2019 to NV or AZ" (set 15 days ago)

927 posts, read 1,696,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
They just showed this issue on Fox 5 news this evening. https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/poof-...bbda7779e.html
Thanks mojavedxer. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
pahrump instituted stricter building codes in 2005. any homes built prior to 2005 can be subject to wonky construction. homes built outside pahrump do not follow the same building codes. we hired a building inspector when we moved here - it's a wise investment

I just watched a news story on this last night on Channel 13 news. It's called "poof" soil or something like that. Crazy.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM

367 posts, read 584,742 times
Yes - good idea to get inspector. St. George has "blue clay", also causes sinking.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Status: "Living in PA but planning to leave in 2019 to NV or AZ" (set 15 days ago)

Everyone, thanks again for the heads up with regard to the "poof dirt". My husband and I were surprised that all buyers don't get an inspection. Wherever we have lived, an inspection is a given. We will surely get one every time.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM

642 posts, read 587,747 times
Home inspections generally occur after construction is complete. If anything is "hidden" during construction (behind drywall etc), even a good home inspector might not catch it. A home inspector would not have done soil tests to see if the ground was solid enough to build on. General contractors are supposed to assess that situation before breaking ground.

It's good to know the problem exists and you need to address it with the builder if you are buying new construction. If you are buying a resale home, you need a civil engineer to look at the ground to determine if the house is sitting on "poof dirt". Scary stuff.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,328,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
pahrump instituted stricter building codes in 2005. any homes built prior to 2005 can be subject to wonky construction. homes built outside pahrump do not follow the same building codes. we hired a building inspector when we moved here - it's a wise investment
There was an item on Channel 3 news this morning about a man who is having a custom home built in Pahrump. The place isn't even finished yet, and there are huge cracks in the foundation.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
There was an item on Channel 3 news this morning about a man who is having a custom home built in Pahrump. The place isn't even finished yet, and there are huge cracks in the foundation.
Is there a link to that item? I'd like to read it or see the video of it.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 PM

185 posts, read 243,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Everyone, thanks again for the heads up with regard to the "poof dirt". My husband and I were surprised that all buyers don't get an inspection. Wherever we have lived, an inspection is a given. We will surely get one every time.
Even if you have it inspected you could still have a problem later. My house isn't in that area, but it still has some minor cracks in the slab. I'm not convinced that there are only certain areas that are in the danger zone so to speak. I look at my pasture after our horse has walked in it and he turns the dirt into powder. I just make sure that my downspouts channel the water as far away from the house as possible. Once our horse passes, we think that we will probably put the house up for sale and move elsewhere. The town is quaint, but the lack of restaurants and the constant dust blowing gets old.

Old Today, 11:42 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Is there a link to that item? I'd like to read it or see the video of it.
Here you go.
https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/poof-...3fc0e56d8.html

Old Today, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Thanks timothyaw. I did end up seeing that one. That's pretty awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or