Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,106 times

Advertisements

No Buzz, this was Boomtown, which is owned by Pinnacle. He applied online. Maybe the OP could look online and see what there is to offer down your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 177,508 times
My first "real" job (meaning outside of my family's businesses) was at Micky D's. I hated every minute of it, but I will admit, I learned a lot from that job.

I learned patience, competence, multi-tasking, and made a lot of great friends. It's a great "experience" job, and I always recommend anyone still in high school start there, as even though it's not a permanent job, it is where you can learn what you can and cannot do.

I recommend that, while you're not relying on the (lack of) pay, that you take a fast food job, because you'll learn a lot.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
You can work at any fast food place, possibly a local grocery store as a bagger, or check the newspaper I know my neighbors are always hiring someone your age to be home when their kids get home from school and watch them for a few hours. Their current "nanny" makes 240 a week just to be at their house from 330 to about 8 and the only thing she does is help with homework, heat up dinner and make sure they take a bath.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
My first job was cutting the neighbor's grass for 50 cents at age 10. I graduated to delivering papers at age 12, then washing windows and dusting shelves at a neighborhood drug store. In high school I made a whole 32 cents an hour as an usher in a movie theater. The summer I was 16 I spent with my married sister in Jacksonville, FL. My mom sent me down to be there when my nephew was born, and to teach my older sister how to make formulas and change diapers. I had learned by taking care of my little sister while mom worked. While in Jax, I bagged groceries and carried them out for tips. Many people didn't know we got no pay for it, and didn't tip us, so a lot of it was pro bono. I still went home at night with my pockets bulging with quarters.

Kids should be taught to work for what they get. After all, the only thing you really have in life is what you earn for yourself. If it's given to you for nothing it's never completely yours, and/or you never really feel that you deserve it, so usually you'll lose it, break it, or waste it. Look at the people who win lotteries a few years later. Usually ruins their lives (but I'd still like to risk it sometime).

Besides, no one is ever happy unless they have something to do, and a reason for doing it. My only regrets about work is not demanding more for my labors, and not being careful enough about who I worked for.

Oooops. I just fell off the soap box...but I'm OK. Don't get up.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times
My first job was working at Omnichem in the fashion show mall was only 12 at the time :-)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
My first job was working at Omnichem in the fashion show mall was only 12 at the time :-)
I tell my kids that I was driving a coal truck when I was 12, right before I got married. Being from WV I can get away with it.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I tell my kids that I was driving a coal truck when I was 12, right before I got married. Being from WV I can get away with it.
Yeah, I'm not sure mine qualifies as a job. My family owned the place and I got paid to go in on weekends and front the shelves. 20 bucks a day :-)

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
McDonald's is supposed to have one of the best training programs in the United States for entry-workers. You could also try Subway, it doesn't have the bad rep working at McDonald's has (bad rep among peers, but businesses actually look at McDonalds positively unless you're 30 years old). You could also try to be busser or dishwasher at a restaurant.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 PM

OP is over two years old btw

Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
My first job, at age 15, was at Jack-In-The-Box. And hence, the beginning of my love affair with it...especially tacos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: